2012-11-16 - Syracuse, New York

Been to a show? Post your review.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Re: 2012-11-16 - Syracuse, New York

Post by Tthip »

http://blog.syracuse.com/entertainment/ ... ips_t.html

To guitarist Rob Baker, trips to Syracuse with The Tragically Hip are memorable

So, Rob Baker, if the phrase “Now for Plan A” hadn’t won over the band, what was Plan B?

The guitarist for The Tragically Hip laughs over the phone.

“I don’t know for the album title,” Baker says. “It’s just a little joke, that after making 12 records, we’re going to get serious, roll our sleeves up, get working. The title was thrown out very early on, and everybody liked it. Sometimes naming a record is a very hard process. The songs can come more easily than putting a name on them.”

The Canadian favorites have worked songs from “Now for Plan A” into the live show, which hits the Landmark Theatre on Friday night, Nov. 16.

“I think there are themes of friendship and themes of getting on with stuff,” says Baker of the album, which was released on Oct. 2. “You know, putting aside petty differences and focusing on what’s coming. Which is a really good measure for the fractured state of politics, north and south of the border. Focus on the common good.”

Baker and his bandmates — front man Gord Downie, bassist Gord Sinclair, drummer Johnny Fay and guitarist Paul Langlois — formed the band three decades ago in their hometown of Kingston, Ontario.

Baker says Syracuse has played a role in his life that predates the trips to play the Landmark Theatre and other venues with the band.

“I have a lot of memories about coming to Syracuse,” he says. “My mother is American. So, instead of taking the two-hour jaunt from Kingston up to Toronto or over to Montreal, we’d take the two-hour jaunt down to Syracuse. We’d stay old-school, at the Hotel Syracuse. After that, I used to take my son to lacrosse camp at Syracuse University. I’d drive him down every day from Kingston.”

His son, Morris, didn’t stick with lacrosse. Now he’s a student at Queens University in Kingston.

But with The Tragically Hip, Baker keeps coming to Central New York. He remembers well a story about what he’s pretty sure was The Tragically Hip’s first show at the Landmark Theatre.

“People had rushed up to the front of the stage, which was the orchestra pit,” Baker recalls. “The whole orchestra pit is on a hydraulic lift. Somebody from management got panicky, probably justly so. Gordon (Downie), he’s wearing this earpiece (monitor), and suddenly there’s this voice in Gordon’s ear, telling him he’s got to get everybody to clear out the pit. He did that by making like God was talking to him in his ear. He made a moment out of it.”

Downie indeed has been a compelling figure out front of the band.

In other Landmark Theatre concerts, he has sprawled on the floor, pretended to climb out of trunk and basically cut a dramatic figure waving long arms to go with his big rock voice.

“He’s extremely committed to what he does, to the show, to the point that sometimes he has a hard time loosening up,” Baker says. “He’s very strict, or dogmatic, if you wish. Everything we do, it’s good to be good and challenging, for the band and for the audience. He never wants to be on auto pilot. That’s good for all of us. In part for that reason, we try to change set lists up (from night to night) and take different approaches.

“I like playing with all these guys,” Baker says. “They’re friends before workmates. If you can play music for a living with people you know, you are blessed.”
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
downie_24
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by downie_24 »

Hugh23 wrote:Any Hipbasers meeting at a bar/restaurant before this show tomorrow? My wife and I would show up.
I would join as well, i just don't know the city....any ideas out there?
Escape@Hand
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Escape@Hand »

downie_24 wrote:
Hugh23 wrote:Any Hipbasers meeting at a bar/restaurant before this show tomorrow? My wife and I would show up.
I'll be at Dinosaur BBQ before the show, it's about 5 mins from the theatre.
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

Escape@Hand wrote:
downie_24 wrote:
I'd be in.
downie_24
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by downie_24 »

thompson girl wrote:
Escape@Hand wrote:quote="Hugh23"]Any Hipbasers meeting at a bar/restaurant before this show tomorrow? My wife and I would show up.

I'd be in.[/quote]

What time do you guys plan on showing up there?
Wheatking20
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Wheatking20 »

There's a bar called Clark's Ale House in the same building as the Landmark. It's right around the corner from the front entrance of the Landmark. They have a wide selection of beers and really good roast beef sandwiches that they slice right in front of you. Last time the hip played at the Landmark before the show Paul Langlois was hanging out there with a couple of friends.
nailsonmyhull
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by nailsonmyhull »

Sorry, but Clark's is no longer there. It was destroyed to remodel the theater. A huge loss for true beer lovers. Anything in Armory Square will be fine for beer and food. The Blue Tusk is excellent in both regards. Armory Square is Syracuse's "hip" (pun intended) pub area, and only a short walk from the theater.

See you there! Front row on the aisle!!!
bobnfran
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by bobnfran »

Really looking forward to this show! I KNOW the venue is a huge improvement over last night!
Headlander
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Headlander »

Best bets for a pre/post-show brew and bite would be;

The Blue Tusk
Extensive beer taps, good wine selection, easy, sharable food plates including sandwiches.

or

The Empire Brewing Co.
Micro-brewery. Good kitchen with an easy menu for all tastes.

Both places are a block west of the Landmark Theater in Armory Square, Syracuse's main entertainment district.

Cheers!
Escape@Hand
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Escape@Hand »

downie_24 wrote:
thompson girl wrote:
Escape@Hand wrote:quote="Hugh23"]Any Hipbasers meeting at a bar/restaurant before this show tomorrow? My wife and I would show up.

I'd be in.

What time do you guys plan on showing up there?[/quote]

I'll be there around 6:00, wearing a black World Container shirt. I'm thinking of making a reservation, so if you're interested let me know.
rivum
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by rivum »

Tthip wrote: But with The Tragically Hip, Baker keeps coming to Central New York. He remembers well a story about what he’s pretty sure was The Tragically Hip’s first show at the Landmark Theatre.

“People had rushed up to the front of the stage, which was the orchestra pit,” Baker recalls. “The whole orchestra pit is on a hydraulic lift. Somebody from management got panicky, probably justly so. Gordon (Downie), he’s wearing this earpiece (monitor), and suddenly there’s this voice in Gordon’s ear, telling him he’s got to get everybody to clear out the pit. He did that by making like God was talking to him in his ear. He made a moment out of it.”

haha that is an awesome, completely gord thing to do!
nailsonmyhull
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by nailsonmyhull »

[
bobnfran wrote:I'll be there around 6:00, wearing a black World Container shirt. I'm thinking of making a reservation, so if you're interested let me know.
Another note re: preshow plans. The Dinosaur doesn't take reservations. You need to show up and wait to be called by name. That's okay, though. It's one of the coolest hangout spots and some of the best food in Syracuse. Just get there early. There is a hockey game tonight (AHL) and a Zac Brown Band concert at the Dome. The city will be hopping tonight.
Escape@Hand
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Escape@Hand »

nailsonmyhull wrote:[
bobnfran wrote:I'll be there around 6:00, wearing a black World Container shirt. I'm thinking of making a reservation, so if you're interested let me know.
Another note re: preshow plans. The Dinosaur doesn't take reservations. You need to show up and wait to be called by name. That's okay, though. It's one of the coolest hangout spots and some of the best food in Syracuse. Just get there early. There is a hockey game tonight (AHL) and a Zac Brown Band concert at the Dome. The city will be hopping tonight.
Thanks for the heads up, that's good to know. We'll as I said, I'm planning to be there around 6:00, can't wait for an awesome steak!
Corpse
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Corpse »

leaving in a few to head East. can't wait. :thumb:
mintgreenbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mintgreenbird »

Here pumping tunes. Requests?