15 - Fully Completely
16 - My Music At Work

17 - An Inch An Hour
18 - Scared
19 - At The Hundredth Meridian
20 - Bobcaygeon
21 - Nautical Disaster
22 - Blow At High Dough
Last edited by sean.bonner on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
nohochin
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Re: 2012-12-10 - San Francisco, California

Post by nohochin »

So excited for this show! Hoping for another "Put It Off" play (like in 2007, which was the only time it was played live since 1997). Although, based on the amazing setlists from the current tour, I think I will be happy no matter what. The Hip + The Fillmore = Awesome.

Saskatoon 11/18/96, Camrose ARA 7/19/97, Saskatoon 2/27/99, Vegas 8/9/02, SF 8/17/02, SF 8/18/02, SF 10/7/04, Vegas 3/21/07, LA 3/24/07, SF 3/26/07, Saskatoon 7/18/07, Brockville 2/21/08, Kingston 2/23/08, SF 6/13/09, SF 6/14/09, SF 12/10/12, SF 10/2/15, Victoria 7/22/16, Vancouver 7/24/16
nohochin
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by nohochin »

My wife can't make it to the San Francisco Fillmore show, so I have an extra ticket. $25 takes it if you can meet me outside the doors before they open. Email me nohochin at hotmail.com

Thanks!
Saskatoon 11/18/96, Camrose ARA 7/19/97, Saskatoon 2/27/99, Vegas 8/9/02, SF 8/17/02, SF 8/18/02, SF 10/7/04, Vegas 3/21/07, LA 3/24/07, SF 3/26/07, Saskatoon 7/18/07, Brockville 2/21/08, Kingston 2/23/08, SF 6/13/09, SF 6/14/09, SF 12/10/12, SF 10/2/15, Victoria 7/22/16, Vancouver 7/24/16
nohochin
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by nohochin »

At Transformation
Grace
Kids
Man machine poem
Gift
Greasy jungle
IAGLIYDW
modern spirit
Courage
Abac
Streets ahead
Springtime
Flamenco
Poets
Fully
M@w

Encore
Inch an hour
Scared
Meridian
Bobcaygeon
Nautical
Blow
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

nohochin wrote:At Transformation
Grace
Kids
Man machine poem
Gift
Greasy jungle
IAGLIYDW
modern spirit
Courage
Abac
Streets ahead
Springtime
Flamenco
Poets
Fully
M@w

Encore
Inch an hour
Scared
Meridian
Bobcaygeon
Nautical
Blow
Nice setlist. How big was the crowd? Atmosphere?
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Only 4 tunes from Plan A, again
And after being a staple of every show Attawapiskat has been dropped the past couple.
I really like this song live.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
bobrockruinedthehip
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by bobrockruinedthehip »

That's a very solid encore!
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

Hopefully the boys brought their clubs & stopped in at Pebble Beach on the way down to L.A.
Sunny & 60 there today.
kulpie
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by kulpie »

Is it the cold that unites us?

Great line from Gordo...I love his socio-political rants! I believe his quote was, "it has to take more than the cold to unite us"

Still one of the greatest bands that is playing incredibly tight and really enjoying themselves. It is fun to be in the room when they start building the songs into their crescendo and we anticipate and then participate by singing and dancing along on the occasions when the music grabs our nerve! The music grabbed me, spoke to me and even shook me a number of times last night.

what an incredible venue...the pictures and posters on the wall is worth getting to a show here early and walking around.

We got there for 7:55 and no line and were whisked in. The crowd then started getting into position around 8:15 and lots of, umm american cigarettes were providing a nice smokey ambiance. The guys came on around 8:40...played for a little over 2 hours (I believe).

Being from Toronto and well versed in all things Hip, it is always interesting for me to see the demographics of a crowd and this crowd had a few generations covered. I am not a fan of the drunken frat boy thing and there was none of that in our 'area' and we were about middle of the 1,000 or so crowd. I am also not a fan of the business dude that just stands there the whole show and checks his effin' BB every 3 minutes...thankfully we only had one of those in our area, and hopefully he was the only one in the venue - what a moron.

But, everyone got along and was respectful of others space.

I introduced my best mates who happen to be Americans to this band in the 90's. This band has brought us together each of the last three tours and for those on here that are "settled" with family, you know that is not an easy venture, especially when you are scattered across the continent. And even more interesting from a fans perspective is to get objective reviews from them.

They felt that at times last evening that Gord moved away from singing to yelling. They have heard many songs on the older albums and then when they hear them live, they wished he would just sing through some of the lyrics as they are on the albums.

He got the crowd going a few times for sure but this show had some valleys in it where most shows I have attended just level off before taking you to the next peak. I think he was not in the best form last night...good form but I am guessing he would not have given himself an "A" on this show and perhaps a B-.

My one friend pointed out that even during BobCageon there was some unnecessary yelling of lyrics...he even asked if he is compensating for a lack of range from days gone by? hmm?

My peaks last night were Transformation, Gift Shop and Greasy Jungle, Ahead by a century, Flamenco and then the last 5 tunes leading into the break, as well as the encore; which was fantastic. I was sweating.

The plateaus for me, and perhaps valleys for most of the crowd were: Kids Don't get it, Man Machine Poem and Its a good life...

The show overall was great and the amazing thing about this group is that you will get 2 very different experiences from one show to the next. And that is what unites us to this band - they can take us on this incredible hike that has a ton of peaks that make for great experiences and memories.

I would love to see these guys go really deep into DFN, Up to Here and Henhouse while sprinkling some songs from everything else...

...And maybe even a Sherpa for the next hike! See you Wednesday in LA. Personal note - I used to be number 12 in the hockey program so hopefully the stars are aligning as the LA show is on 12/12/12
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

kulpie wrote:Is it the cold that unites us?

Great line from Gordo...I love his socio-political rants! I believe his quote was, "it has to take more than the cold to unite us"

Still one of the greatest bands that is playing incredibly tight and really enjoying themselves. It is fun to be in the room when they start building the songs into their crescendo and we anticipate and then participate by singing and dancing along on the occasions when the music grabs our nerve! The music grabbed me, spoke to me and even shook me a number of times last night.

what an incredible venue...the pictures and posters on the wall is worth getting to a show here early and walking around.

We got there for 7:55 and no line and were whisked in. The crowd then started getting into position around 8:15 and lots of, umm american cigarettes were providing a nice smokey ambiance. The guys came on around 8:40...played for a little over 2 hours (I believe).

Being from Toronto and well versed in all things Hip, it is always interesting for me to see the demographics of a crowd and this crowd had a few generations covered. I am not a fan of the drunken frat boy thing and there was none of that in our 'area' and we were about middle of the 1,000 or so crowd. I am also not a fan of the business dude that just stands there the whole show and checks his effin' BB every 3 minutes...thankfully we only had one of those in our area, and hopefully he was the only one in the venue - what a moron.

I introduced my best mates who happen to be Americans to this band in the 90's. This band has brought us together each of the last three tours and for those on here that are "settled" with family, you know that is not an easy venture, especially when you are scattered across the continent. And even more interesting from a fans perspective is to get objective reviews from them.

They felt that at times last evening that Gord moved away from singing to yelling. They have heard many songs on the older albums and then when they hear them live, they wished he would just sing through some of the lyrics as they are on the albums.

He got the crowd going a few times for sure but this show had some valleys in it where most shows I have attended just level off before taking you to the next peak. I think he was not in the best form last night...good form but I am guessing he would not have given himself an "A" on this show and perhaps a B-.

My one friend pointed out that even during BobCageon there was some unnecessary yelling of lyrics...he even asked if he is compensating for a lack of range from days gone by? hmm?

My peaks last night were Transformation, Gift Shop and Greasy Jungle, Ahead by a century, Flamenco and then the last 5 tunes leading into the break, as well as the encore; which was fantastic. I was sweating.

The plateaus for me, and perhaps valleys for most of the crowd were: Kids Don't get it, Man Machine Poem and Its a good life...

The show overall was great and the amazing thing about this group is that you will get 2 very different experiences from one show to the next. And that is what unites us to this band - they can take us on this incredible hike that has a ton of peaks that make for great experiences and memories.

I would love to see these guys go really deep into DFN, Up to Here and Henhouse while sprinkling some songs from everything else...

...And maybe even a Sherpa for the next hike! See you Wednesday in LA. Personal note - I used to be number 12 in the hockey program so hopefully the stars are aligning as the LA show is on 12/12/12
Nice review, thanks!
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

kulpie wrote:Is it the cold that unites us?

Beauty write-up eh! :thumb:
bobrockruinedthehip
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Kulpie, your post reflects most of my own thoughts especially:

"They felt that at times last evening that Gord moved away from singing to yelling. They have heard many songs on the older albums and then when they hear them live, they wished he would just sing through some of the lyrics as they are on the albums."

Gord also seems to be purposely adding an extra "a" or "the" here or there, which puts the lyrics behind the instrumentals. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to hear some reworked songs in the vein of Rush's reworking of "Im in the Mood". I would especially love to hear a reworked "Killing Time," but Gord's tweaks are far from a reworking and only serve to make the old stuff less enjoyable. It's interesting that none of this is found on the new material where he stays true to the album version and sounds great.
kulpie
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by kulpie »

"...It's interesting that none of this is found on the new material where he stays true to the album version and sounds great."

I agree. the new stuff is quite nice and I have enjoyed Now For Plan A a lot...but seeing the songs live in a non stadium type venue really provides further appreciation for the new material...and this was the sentiment from my friends as well.

in between meetings here on the coast and off to see Alcatraz...maybe a prelude to a little "Locked in the Trunk" for LA...that would be nice. with 50 mission cap in Vegas :) and, and .... ...
bobrockruinedthehip
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Speaking of new songs, I particularly enjoyed At Transformation both in Seattle and Portland. I love the line, "I want to help you lift enormous things." Gord really nails that one live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lq90ABT0nM

With regard to the old stuff, Gord didn't alter anything on Eldorado or Fully Completely in Portland;however, Grace was definitely changed at both shows. Like many fans, I'm fixated on all things Gord. I'd really like to know what's up.