2012-11-03 - Chicago, Illinois

Been to a show? Post your review.
Shane Kroeker
Completist
Completist

Re: Chicago 11-3-12

Post by Shane Kroeker »

gman1127 wrote:I`ve been a Hip fan for 20 yrs and this was my first chance to see them live. I`m from Rockford, Il and no one around here is familar with the Hip which is frustrating and at the same time kinda ok cuz the Hip are my secret Unplucked gem in my circle. I took my girlfriend and as we haven`t been together long, she was new to the band. All I can say is phenomenal, what a true group of proffesional musicians who have stood the test of time. The band is so in sync with each other it`s like each guy is an extension of the other, clearly a true brotherhood that comes out in each amazing song. Gord Downey is clearly the most interesting and enigmatic frontman in all of music. Not only does he interact with the crowd, but after literally dozens of shows I`ve seen, it was the first time that a lead singer not only sang the song, but truly perofrmed them as well. It was as if he acted out each song, absolutely brilliant definitely not my last show. Btw, my girlfriend now says the Hip are her favorite band and has downloaded all of their catalog! Thanks guys for being true to your craft and simply awesome when far too many bands clog the airwaves the garbage. Keep up the great work.

Greg in Rockford
Welcome to the base! you'll fit in nicely here.
TragicallyHipster
New Maybe
New Maybe

Re: 2012-11-03 - Chicago, Illinois

Post by TragicallyHipster »

First post!

Hip fan about 13 years now.

I live in Michigan, but my wife and I made the trip to Chicago to see the Hip. I'm actually surprised that a previous commenter said the crowd was well behaved. We were in almost the same location (in front of RB, 4th row or so) and there was a guy completely drunk off his ass. Bigger guy - probably had 100 lbs on me and was drunkenly dancing like he owned a 8'x8' space on the floor. Instead of being able to enjoy the show, I spent much of the show protecting my wife from being knocked over. At one point, he actually threw a water bottle at GD. There was also a fight between a few other people as we were leaving the show. Drunks ruined this one for me. The upside? I got to see the Hip at Jackson Triggs (have At Transformation and ABAC vids on youtube) and in Detroit. 2nd row at JT, front and center in Detroit. I'm no crier, but I had my first ever tear of joy squeak out at the JT show. Coulda been the Willie Nelson - was most likely the wine.