2012-11-06 - Rochester, New York

Been to a show? Post your review.
MalcolmKellyRaps
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Re: 2012-11-06 - Rochester, New York

Post by MalcolmKellyRaps »

mojo_mattv wrote:
MalcolmKellyRaps wrote:God bless the teleprompter.
I never thought of that, but you may be right.
It seems so wide open all of a sudden that I have to think that plays a role. I got a chance to talk to the guys from The Tea Party once. I complained to them about the lack of setlist change and asked why the band didn't vary setlists. Stuart told me that the band has to be comfortable on the stage. It was a simple answer but it made sense.

I was thinking about this when I heard that Gord was using the teleprompter. It must make him more comfortable on the stage. Eddie Vedder can punt to pooch on Satans Bed in front of all of State College, PA and laugh it off. That isn't the personality of every front man. Could you ever imagine Axl Rose trying a song he might not know the words to?

Anyway, if a teleprompter gets us setlist variance, I am all for it. Can they load Emperor Penguin into that bad boy for Syracuse?
mookytc
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mookytc »

Incredible show...set list was mind blowing. So Hard Done By just set it off. Good stuff!!!

I purposely did not look at the first two set lists in order to be surprised. Wow...

Had a clear view of Billy Ray off the side. Never have I seen him so animated moving and grooving to the sounds. Especially the gems he was flat out rockin'. Again just an awesome evening!

They are so versatile....it is amazing. So Hard Done By, country sounding Morning Moon, Locked in the Trunk of a Car, bluesy Long Time Running, and somehow they pulled off Now for Plan A with Paul just nailing the backgrounds. Unreal...

Special thanks to Downie_24 for the huge hook up on the seats (TM Presale)!!!!
Last edited by mookytc on Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
mintgreenbird
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mintgreenbird »

What a great show... ReAly suprused not a full house.. Balcony was 1/2 empty. Pit seats rocked... Gord killed vocals again... If he restrains his voice to singing and not shouting/screeching this could make for a killer tour. Nite all
nmf
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by nmf »

Corpse wrote:ARGHHH :twisted: So pissed I'm working tonight and couldn't go. Hitting up Syracuse next week but not the same as 10 minutes from the house :?
So Hard Done By too....my allime fav..Hope someone taped!!!
I think I got So Hard Done By. I'll upload tomorrow after work.

Great show all around. Pretty theatre, nice people around me, GREAT setlist. I will not regret being tired tomorrow at work.
buffalorob
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by buffalorob »

What a day! A friend and I picked up Gord S. & Paul this morning for a round of golf, and a had a fantastic afternoon with them (it wasn't cold, it was just soft & muddy). I couldn't help mentioning my favorite songs that I had not seen live in a long time, like Three Pistols, and even brought up Emperor Penguin, ala, "sound check, Emperor Penguin, what?" (hint, hint).
We got them back just in time for the soundcheck, where they did Morning Moon, Yawning, So Hard Done By (Robby's solo at the end was phenomenal!), Daredevil & World Container, and it was a true rehearsal, as some of the tunes needed a refresher. It showed during So hard Done By tonight...they got lost during the song for a bit. Not jamming, but outright lost, but then the words came to Gordie, and it was like watching Peyton Manning work a fourth quarter comeback drive. The show just took off from there. The grin on my face will be hard to remove this week. Thanks guys.
mookytc
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mookytc »

buffalorob wrote:What a day! A friend and I picked up Gord S. & Paul this morning for a round of golf, and a had a fantastic afternoon with them (it wasn't cold, it was just soft & muddy). I couldn't help mentioning my favorite songs that I had not seen live in a long time, like Three Pistols, and even brought up Emperor Penguin, ala, "sound check, Emperor Penguin, what?" (hint, hint).
We got them back just in time for the soundcheck, where they did Morning Moon, Yawning, So Hard Done By (Robby's solo at the end was phenomenal!), Daredevil & World Container, and it was a true rehearsal, as some of the tunes needed a refresher. It showed during So hard Done By tonight...they got lost during the song for a bit. Not jamming, but outright lost, but then the words came to Gordie, and it was like watching Peyton Manning work a fourth quarter comeback drive. The show just took off from there. The grin on my face will be hard to remove this week. Thanks guys.
Sweet!
borgs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by borgs »

That's pretty close to a perfect setlist in my books.
HugeHipFan
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by HugeHipFan »

GO. NOW. MAKE YOUR PLANS, BUY YOUR TICKETS, TELL YOUR BOSS, TELL YOUR PARTNER WHO "JUST DOESN'T GET THIS BAND". You will be elsewhere that night, several nights if the budget allows. Who needs to eat anyways? If reducing to one meal a day gets you an extra ticket (and maybe some weight loss to boot) then it's win-win.

It's 2:30 a.m. and I'm back in Toronto, still excited. I almost made the drive to Cleveland, but couldn't leave work. I had a feeling that maybe the earth would pull back into it's proper orbit. Fluke or science? Chicago proved the truth - this is one of the best bands out there, with a varied catalogue to please everyone, no matter when you came on board.

When So Hard Done By came on, you could tell they were working it out. And you know what? That's great. As long as the vocals come in on time, I love the raw feel of the thing. Perfect is what albums are for.

Everyone has their favourites, but yer fav's might not be mine. That said, this is as close to perfect as I think we'll get without each of us getting to write the setlist ourselves. (I call dibs on Kingston by the way. Get Back Again > Blonde Solid > Another Midnight, and I won't have to see another show ever. But I will, I will. Sorry bank account, I'll cut back on the morning coffees. I promise.)

When they play Escape, one of my all-time fav's, a show becomes redeemable no matter what. Tonight it was followed by Morning Moon, a cut from an unheralded and underappreciated album. Then Daddy and I stood there with a smile. Later Pistols and I made my way down front. Long Time Running brought back memories of the "Phantom Zone" or whatever they called it in 2000. We called it "The Zone". Up front with Paul playing a quiet lick and Gord relaxing, easing into the vocals. "Drop A Caribou", even in the U.S. of A. Nice. Then Verge and it's not the last song. What??? A longer first set. Keep 'em coming.

I was in the back and had access to the setlist, but I never looked. Based on the first two shows, I wanted to be surprised. The encore, however, was typed on a second sheet of paper. When it was brought out, even though I never looked, could it be? 8-10 letters, starting with a capital "D"? I had to be sure. I leaned in for certainty. Then I got a stupid grin on my face that still hasn't gone away. I went over to these guys who were clapping and singing only for the old songs (not just the hits) and said "guess what's next guys?" I wanted to tell the whole room. I wanted to shout it out, seriously. (I wanted to call my Hip friends back home, but the roaming charges would have been as much as the ticket.) The old style mellow-jam intro began the tune, and everyone kept talking except the hardcores who knew what was coming and all started smiling at each other. Shared experiences, that's why we go to shows. They are meant to be seen in large groups, which is why movie theaters will never die off.
Back to the double-D. Daredevil. Gord had to break up the intro by saying (I paraphrase) "this is called Daredevil", but then said "It's Niagara Falls, SUCKER!" and thus redeemed himself.

Two yahoos showed up at the back towards the end during Fully. One of them yelled out for "Locked" and then I think he left. The other (larger) guy stayed and when Locked was the last song, he had a fit right near me. He was screaming and throwing his arms all around and even danced a little bit. It's nice to get what we want, isn't it?

Loved the older stuff, the Day For Night material, the variation and songs from many albums, not just three or four. Given the last two years, Daddy would have been worth the drive for me. Pistols and I'm buying the beers. Verge and dinner's on me too. Daredevil and we might as well stay the night, 'cause I'm spent. Done.

Final thoughts: Gord was right where he should be. Probably because he doesn't have all the words down yet, but he didn't stray too far afield tonight. Stayed near the middle of the stage, not too much dancing, not too much chatter. Also very little guitar to distract him. Only played on three songs by my count. Came out in jacket (jean jacket?) and white t-shirt, shed the jacket first song in. Kept the black hat on throughout the night. Bobby wailed tonight, really great playing. I saw Paul watching him a few times, making sure he had enough room to roam.
While I didn't notice Billy Ray as mentioned by someone else above, Ricky Wellington was smiling and laughing with the side-stage monitor guy, and that never happens. Even when not working he's total pro, but tonight he cracked a smile. The band is definitely fit, happy, and ready for the road.

I taped, but from the board area and thus way under the balcony where the sound is deadened. There was an old-school taper near the center of the room, but unless you have a DAT for trade, that one might not see daylight. 1-2 other guys were also rolling, but I cannot verify the details. If it sounds passable I will get my copy to the tracker in due time.

LAST WORDS: GET TO A SHOW THIS TOUR. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

Go on already. Why are you still here?

-Matt
hipkid33
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by hipkid33 »

Show was killer. For me, SHDB was the gem of the night. I can't remember when I last heard that one live. I loved hearing some of the older "deep" cuts. I'm still getting used to the new album, but the new material sounded fantastic. In reality, one of the best shows of the 20-something I've been to. I was 14th row center, there was a taper at 15th or 16th row center, hopefully we'll see it sometime soon - thanks to them!
redhill
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by redhill »

damn

13 - Yawning Or Snarling

wow
Pudge7681
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Pudge7681 »

Believe me when I say that I thought this setlist was phenomenal. Even though I am going to follow it up with the fact that I felt like the crowd was subdued and at times looked as though they got lost on the way to a polling place and didn't know when they were going to bring out the voting booths. With the exception of maybe 30 people in the balcony the upstairs sat the entire show. On the floor I felt like people stood only because the people in front of them had. I find it disconcerting to see people more concerned with filming on their cell phone as opposed to taking in the show. To paraphrase Gord Downie from 2009 at Landmark Theatre, "This camera phone is just a fad. No generation would want to miss a moment to take a picture of a moment just so they could relive the moment later." Again...don't get me wrong...the show effing rocked and did not disappoint. The same, however, can't be said for the crowd IMO.
mookytc
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mookytc »

As mentioned Gordon was without a guitar for much of the show. For a band that still brings it every night they really "brought" it.
downie_24
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by downie_24 »

mookytc wrote:Incredible show...set list was mind blowing. So Hard Done By just set it off. Good stuff!!!

I purposely did not look at the first two set lists in order to be surprised. Wow...

Had a clear view of Billy Ray off the side. Never have I seen him so animated moving and grooving to the sounds. Especially the gems he was flat out rockin'. Again just an awesome evening!

They are so versatile....it is amazing. So Hard Done By, country sounding Morning Moon, Locked in the Trunk of a Car, bluesy Long Time Running, and somehow they pulled off Now for Plan A with Paul just nailing the backgrounds. Unreal...

Special thanks to Downie_24 for the huge hook up on the seats (TM Presale)!!!!
My Pleasure, glad you enjoyed the show! Now hoping we get the same type of treatment in Syracuse...can't wait!
mookytc
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mookytc »

I still owe you. Hope I can return a favor one day.