2012-11-06 - Rochester, New York

Been to a show? Post your review.
Reid1
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Re: 2012-11-06 - Rochester, New York

Post by Reid1 »

I was right in front of the guy with the DAT recorder and did my own. Nothing nearly as fancy as his setup but the raw recording sounds decent from what I've heard. Any editing tips? I'm definitely a novice at this. I know most of the time there's a bass roll-off, a little EQ fiddling, some volume adjustment. Just curious on how to make a good recording sound great. And yeah, if it comes out good I'll definitely post it someplace for everyone to have a listen.

So Hard Done By and Long Time Running were really cool surprises. Still taking it all in, what a great show.
crunchsite
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by crunchsite »

you must have been right next to us! LOL...do you remember seeing a couple in HIPBASE shirts? ... that guy had quite a set up for sure!
Reid1 wrote:I was right in front of the guy with the DAT recorder and did my own. Nothing nearly as fancy as his setup but the raw recording sounds decent from what I've heard. Any editing tips? I'm definitely a novice at this. I know most of the time there's a bass roll-off, a little EQ fiddling, some volume adjustment. Just curious on how to make a good recording sound great. And yeah, if it comes out good I'll definitely post it someplace for everyone to have a listen.

So Hard Done By and Long Time Running were really cool surprises. Still taking it all in, what a great show.
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

buffalorob wrote:What a day! A friend and I picked up Gord S. & Paul this morning for a round of golf, and a had a fantastic afternoon with them (it wasn't cold, it was just soft & muddy). I couldn't help mentioning my favorite songs that I had not seen live in a long time, like Three Pistols, and even brought up Emperor Penguin, ala, "sound check, Emperor Penguin, what?" (hint, hint).
We got them back just in time for the soundcheck, where they did Morning Moon, Yawning, So Hard Done By (Robby's solo at the end was phenomenal!), Daredevil & World Container, and it was a true rehearsal, as some of the tunes needed a refresher. It showed during So hard Done By tonight...they got lost during the song for a bit. Not jamming, but outright lost, but then the words came to Gordie, and it was like watching Peyton Manning work a fourth quarter comeback drive. The show just took off from there. The grin on my face will be hard to remove this week. Thanks guys.
:what
dougwill
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by dougwill »

I was sitting in Row Z middle with a couple of new hi fans and my wife.

This was my 18th show dating back to Canada Day 1993 so I have seen a few and experienced a variety of openers. I love stuff like Grace and Giftshop to open a show but they way they began certainly set a tone of "kep guessing what is next" for the evening.

MMP, In View, and SHDB was an interesting way to start a show, it reminded me of when they opened in Rochester with Daredevil in 1995(?) when the Rheo's opened for them. I would say that the new three headed monster (mentioned elsewhere) song selection process is working. I didn't want to leave to grab another beverage for fear of missing a gem. Ended up going at the beginning of NFPA, and still made it back for a chunkc of that good and longer song.

Yawning or Snarling was the big treat of the night for me, I'd never heard it live. Hundreth was played well, and more or less was an album rendition. The band played the pants of ABAC and Bobby made the switch to the electric at the end. IF they were gonna play that one, they sure did it well for everybody. Pistols kicked ass, and started an awesome crescendo to end the set On the Verge was dialed in and flowed more or less right into Goodnight Attawaspiskat.

Encore, as mentioned earlier, to hear those first three guitar notes of the slow intro to Daredevil and know what is coming is a cool feeling. Locked was a tight way to end the show. I was still hoping to hear About this Map...maybe another time.

What a band. It was all new again. Well worth the wait
Corpse
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Corpse »

BakersBrew
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BakersBrew »

Great to see diversity in their setlists. The only issue for me is that I want to hear as much material from their current album as possible. This is one of their greatest albums ever. Hopefully, Gavin Brown will be considered again for the next one.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

BakersBrew wrote:Great to see diversity in their setlists. The only issue for me is that I want to hear as much material from their current album as possible.
Really?
They played:
6 new tunes in Cleveland
8 new tunes in Chicago
8 new tunes in Rochester
And 2 new tunes have not been played at all, yet.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Reid1
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Reid1 »

crunchsite wrote:you must have been right next to us! LOL...do you remember seeing a couple in HIPBASE shirts? ... that guy had quite a set up for sure!
Reid1 wrote:I was right in front of the guy with the DAT recorder and did my own. Nothing nearly as fancy as his setup but the raw recording sounds decent from what I've heard. Any editing tips? I'm definitely a novice at this. I know most of the time there's a bass roll-off, a little EQ fiddling, some volume adjustment. Just curious on how to make a good recording sound great. And yeah, if it comes out good I'll definitely post it someplace for everyone to have a listen.

Yeah he did. I did see a couple of hipbase shirts. I try to keep an eye out for those and Hip Hockey jerseys. :D

I loaded the show to my hard drive. Now it's just tinkering around with it. Not sure how long it'll take me.
Dire Wolf
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Dire Wolf »

BakersBrew wrote:This is one of their greatest albums ever. Hopefully, Gavin Brown will be considered again for the next one.
I would agree that this is one of the band's best collection of songs in a very long time, however unless Gavin is actually doing the writing, sonically speaking, the record leaves a LOT to be desired :cry:
"They're your blues, we just play 'em"
crunchsite
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by crunchsite »

mookytc
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mookytc »

Nice Dave...it did kill!
tigerthelion88
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by tigerthelion88 »

wat a friggin journey of a setlist..

blasted open with man machine, kicked the groove with in view, began to creep the gem door open with so hard done by, escape hits; and you know your in for a ride.

Morning Moon graces the trip, Don't Wake sets it off, 'Courage- to -Plan A- too -Family Band' somersaults your aspirations, with snarling curling you back, 'Pistols-Running' skids the groove, with Verge punching the pedal,, Goodnight, your on your way..

Joyed through the set and thiers still an encore..

Daredevil jam to the core, mean hit song streak, Let me out' powerhouse finish,, leaving you wanting more..

Great! Happy touring..

tfoe
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by tfoe »

So jealous of the last 3 nights!! Here's hoping they make it to Vancouver...great work on the videos added everyone! Keep 'em coming.
kvisser
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by kvisser »

Wow what a setlist! Three Roadapples tunes in a row - awesome