Re: 2012-11-10 - New York, New York

Post by BIGVDOGG »

reviews or setlist?
mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

Post by mrlayance »

Great show, boys were in top form. Few hockey ranks and election talks. Took a few videos that I will upload when I get back home. Didn't get a set list but here is a photo.

My friend ran into wade redden when I was in the washroom after the show. He was drunk and looking for the person who he borrowed a smoke from.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
Marcus1970
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Marcus1970 »

Six concerts into the tour and they continue to add new songs to the setlist. Keep it up boys!
mastodonfarm
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by mastodonfarm »

Great show! This album feature some of Rob's best work.

Typical of a Hip NYC show, it wasn't crowed at all. We were right-center and 5 people deep. Stayed that way the entire show as there was no push. Terminal 5 is a great venue. Hip crowds always seem to be smart - they know most of the stuff, new and old and bring great energy. Tonight was the same.

The merch is awesome. Some of the best in a long time. Go check it out. My shmoops got me the hoodie.

Nice mix-up of a set list. They played the songs they had to, supported the new album (seriously, give it a chance - it'll grow on you!), and pot-pouri'd the rest. 4 songs off of TATHH? Nice. I'm a sucker for Depression Suite live, but I don't think that one is coming out this tour. Gord ranted through out (of course), but as usual being so close to the amps, most of them were tough to hear. He seems to be in a good spirits, which is nice to see!

I have a ton of cam pics I can post if anyone wants to see. A few a good, most are meh. Gotta start bringing the PnS cam to shows again.

Sad I'm only seeing them once this tour. Please don't let this be their last one! They just keep getting better and better live!
robbroncs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by robbroncs »

man i really wanted the hoodie. but 60 beans was a bit too steep for me. the show was fucking great. i have to say though. gord seemed a little more rushed than usual. the banter and rants weren't as extensive as the past 5 shows i've seen them play in nyc. he did his usual craziness. but it seemed a bit more subdued than normal....anyone else agree??

the setlist was amazing!

i'm still hungover and happy :oops:

Summiteer
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Summiteer »

Can you describe the hoodie? or any other merch for that matter.
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

Meridian, Bobcaygeon, nautical, fiddlers, courage and bones... holy cow...that might be the most epic encore ever in Hip history!
mcgraw68
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by mcgraw68 »

Finally have a chance to give my two cents on the NYC show. The set list was epic. Gord was into but like others said no too much banter or antics. He did take time to talk about Billy Ray and the fact that it was his 20th anniversary with the band to the day. He was thankful to him and for his friendship. At least two songs went out to him. Crowd was into it at least by Paul side happy dancing drunks no pushing at all. Nabbed my first set list again thanks to Billy Ray. Can't wait for TLA in Philly tomorrow night :D
Hope to hear the rest of PlanA.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Summiteer wrote:Can you describe the hoodie? or any other merch for that matter.
The merch rather sucks in my opinion.
They are selling like 4 things.
The shirt they have is the light bulb below
The hoodie reminds me of an eye chart but says
the
tra
gic
all
yhip
In red and white lettering or something
They have a steel water bottle with a maple leaf and says The Hip in kinda badge form.
They also sell a sticker in the badge/Hip/Leaf thing
They also have a girls T I do not remember because what kind of hipbase guy would buy a girls hip T-Shirt?
hipt.jpg
hipt2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

Post by mrlayance »

I took a photo of the merch table.
mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

Post by mrlayance »

jtopping
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by jtopping »

man Boston got hosed so badly!
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

http://www.tmakworld.com/2012/11/the-tr ... w-new.html

Nov 12 2012 - The Tragically Hip rolled into New York City on Saturday November 10 2012, and played to a packed house of Hip faithful at Terminal 5, located in Hell's Kitchen. Many Hip fans in Canada now rarely get the opportunity to see The Hip in a venue that they were meant to be seen in, so I considered myself lucky when I found myself in town for this event. For those fans based in Toronto, the Sound Academy is probably the best comparison … so you Toronto-based Hip fans know what I mean when I say this was a very special event for a Hip fan.

The band is 4 dates into a US tour in support of their latest album, ‘Now For Plan A’, and they were assertive and not shy about showcasing tracks from the new album, beginning the night with 'At Transformation', the initial release from their latest effort. ‘At Transformation’ captures the essence of The Hip's sound, resuming their core of growling, layered bass and guitars powered by Langlois, Baker and Sinclair, on top of a consistent and aggressive Johnny Fay drum beat. Add to this, Gord Downie's unique vocals that range from a ghetto sounding, almost secret storytelling tone, to a sun beam through the clouds crescendo of a chorus where he wants "to help you lift enormous things"… And you have the familiar, but up to date, contemporary Tragically Hip sound that their fans have come to know and love. The band, justifiably proud, played plenty of tracks from their new release through the night including: 'Man Machine Poem', 'The Look Ahead', and 'We Want To Be It', a softer song with more personal based lyrics from Downie.

The already energized crowd appeared to find yet another gear when the band got to 'Ahead By a Century' followed by flurry of Hip classics including 'Poets', 'Giftshop', 'El Dorado’ and the more poppy 'In View'. The band ended the initial set with the new, but appropriate, 'Goodnight Attawapiskat'. All new material was very well received by the Hip faithful who appeared to be already sufficiently familiar with the one month old latest release.

The Hip returned to the stage with an encore set that made the evening truly a night to remember for Hip fans. Resuming the night with 'At the Hundredth Merdian', 'Bobcaygeon', 'Nautical Disaster', 'Fiddlers Green', 'Courage', fans’ batteries were easily maintained at full charge. The band finally ended their 2 hour epic performance with the high powered 'Blow at High Dough', leaving the faithful to spill onto the streets with enthusiasm that could power the lights of Manhattan.

Mixed into the evening were classics from the past that fans just couldn't help trying to outcry Gord Downie on vocals, who made it clear he owned the mic and was lead character in this show. In all seriousness, Downie's animated theatrics may have been just as well received in an off Broadway musical as they were in Hell's Kitchen. Truly the ever-energetic, captivation king front man was in top form this evening and the crowd could not get enough of it the Hip music that levitated him. Other memorable antics included Downie in the wake of the election asking for 10 electoral college seats for the rest of the world, and indicating he would settle for two, referring to this as 'Canadian compromise', jokingly laughing at his comment. Downie also incorporated New York, New York leg kicks and hand waves into this exclusive New York City show.

Hip songs referencing the city of New York, including 'Flamenco', and 'Escape is at Hand for the Travelling Man' were ensured to be in the set list and added to the memorable, distinctively New York evening with The Hip. New York is obviously special place for the Tragically Hip. And in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, and sensing the band was partly serving as a distraction, Downie, wearing a poppy-pinned trilby hat this Remembrance Day eve, did not waste the opportunity to inform patrons of charities available to help NY and NJ area victims.

Verdict - 4.5 out of 5 - This evening reasserted The Tragically Hip’s legendary live performance band status. This band works just as hard today as in any time in their 20 plus year history to put on a great live show and they are as tight as ever. If you do get the chance to see The Hip at a small venue, do NOT miss the opportunity! This band and their live performances are built for intimate venues and this is the way The Hip were meant to be seen.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
senrab
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by senrab »

great show, the only people there seemed to be a) Canadian or b) people from upstate NY like myself. Met two guys who were from the same no-name town as me. I got the hoodie and the Hip Canadian shield t-shirt. I wore the hoodie last week at my job in DC and people were trying to read it, saying "wtf?" :D

10.26.07 Washington DC
10.19.09 Washington DC
7.30.11 Buffalo
11.10.12 NYC
7.19.13 Buffalo
4.18.15 Buffalo
8.12.16 TO
wish I had seen more
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

senrab wrote:great show, the only people there seemed to be a) Canadian or b) people from upstate NY like myself. Met two guys who were from the same no-name town as me. I got the hoodie and the Hip Canadian shield t-shirt. I wore the hoodie last week at my job in DC and people were trying to read it, saying "wtf?" :D

Pic 3 is epic, nice shot!
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."