2013-02-04 - Kingston, Ontario

Been to a show? Post your review.
Jack Straw
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Re: 2013-02-04 - Kingston, Ontario

Post by Jack Straw »

I think you pencil in At Trans & Grace at the opening... Escape has been played in the #3 spot more often than not & MMP has occupied the #4 spot on most nights...
Jack Straw
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Jack Straw »

Based on some Twitter talk it looks like we had a NOIS early in the set... maybe #2?
adam
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by adam »

At Transformation
Grace, Too
Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin' Man
New Orleans Is Sinking
Man Machine Poem
Love Is a First
Gift Shop
The Lookahead (Sarah Harmer)
Long Time Running
Streets Ahead
Poets
Ahead By A Century
We Want To Be It
Courage
Bobcaygeon
Nautical Disaster
My Music at Work
Blow At High Dough
---
At the Hundredth Meridian
Now For Plan A (Sarah Harmer)
In View
Locked in the Trunk of a Car
Little Bones
Scotty12
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by Scotty12 »

Took a few videos with my phone to share with those who couldnt make it tonight:

Now For Plan A (With Sarah Harmer)

The Lookahead (With Sarah Harmer)

Marcus1970
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Marcus1970 »

Scotty12 wrote:Took a few videos with my phone to share with those who couldnt make it tonight:
Very nice! Thanks for sharing the videos.
SRK
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by SRK »

I know moaning about the setlist is cliche these days, but...boy, was that a letdown. And I say that as someone whose two favourite songs were the last two in the set. 23 songs, 6 new ones, 15 "radio songs" and two "obscure songs" and that's counting 'long time running' as an obscure song, which it's really not. Was hoping for more from a hometown show, but...oh well, at least we got Sarah Harmer, which was nice.

Was sat on an aisle seat right next to the floor entrance, so I got a good idea of what the "let's go for a beer" songs were, by the traffic going past me. Man machine poem won in a landslide, but streets ahead and poets (surprisingly) were close.
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

SRK wrote:I know moaning about the setlist is cliche these days, but...boy, was that a letdown. And I say that as someone whose two favourite songs were the last two in the set. 23 songs, 6 new ones, 15 "radio songs" and two "obscure songs" and that's counting 'long time running' as an obscure song, which it's really not. Was hoping for more from a hometown show, but...oh well, at least we got Sarah Harmer, which was nice.

Was sat on an aisle seat right next to the floor entrance, so I got a good idea of what the "let's go for a beer" songs were, by the traffic going past me. Man machine poem won in a landslide, but streets ahead and poets (surprisingly) were close.
I would actually put Locked in the obscure category, as it's rarely been played at all over the last few years. You guys are lucky to have heard it.
BakersBrew
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BakersBrew »

The Hip continue to put on a great show. I sort of had a feeling that Sarah Harmer would be part of the set. I've seen her a few times and really enjoy her music. To be honest I could have done without her being part of the show. She was not in tune with the Lookahead, and Plan A wasn't much better. If there is one complaint that is valid it would be the audience. I thought a bowling match was going to break out at anytime. Does anyone remember the Markham Fairground Days...you know 50,000 people going crazy...it was the polar opposite last night. The crowd sucked period. The setlist is what it is.....the group seems to have a collective of songs which they are comfortable playing live, and it is likely not going to change at this point in their career. Long Time Running was very cool. Escape is one of my fav's.....but Downie insists on changing chouruses to screaming....I don't get that? I understand though why they stopped playing in Kingston prior to the K-Rock Centre....I think now they play there out of obligation (I believe Rob Baker was a big supporter in pushing that building project)....or maybe times have changed and the Hip are no longer the Canadian music heavywieghts like some of us remember from 20 years ago. Hey I guess we should just be grateful that we still have them kicking around.
edgoffin
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by edgoffin »

Neat to have Sarah Harmer join, thought she would, and she sounded great in The Lookahead really belting it out. Overall, sound seems subjective to where you are, as I thought vocals sounded pretty clear but others sitting elsewhere thought it was muddy.

It is a nice venue, likely not a bad seat, but it did have a bit of a Monday night feel to the show. I saw the first Hip show there, and the crowd seemed much more engaged. In our section, a fair bit of sitting and texting on the smartphone until Bobcaygeon or ABAC. I’ve seen the band enough times to know what I’m going to get. Saw the Syracuse show and they maybe went a bit deeper into the catalogue (Gus, Eldorado) but Locked was great (last time I saw that was at K-Rock), never tire of Nautical, Plan A sounded great with the Sarah Harmer’s addition, Transformation is a good opener and I liked the slightly extended bass intro. I was hoping for a Titanic Terrarium, but figured with it in the east coast set list likely not going to hear it in Kingston.

Really, not matter what they play I am always happy to see them. Every time I see a show I wonder will this be the last time, how much more interest do they have in still doing this? (how many times has Bobby played that intro to NOIS). They’ve been a constant for me since I was an early teen and bought Up to Here. Took my 9-year-old, he was enthralled by Gord. His comment, “there are not too many people like that”. I like The Arkells, and I think they had a great opening set. A good live band.
mojo_mattv
Completist
Completist

Post by mojo_mattv »

BakersBrew wrote:The Hip continue to put on a great show. I sort of had a feeling that Sarah Harmer would be part of the set. I've seen her a few times and really enjoy her music. To be honest I could have done without her being part of the show. She was not in tune with the Lookahead, and Plan A wasn't much better. If there is one complaint that is valid it would be the audience. I thought a bowling match was going to break out at anytime. Does anyone remember the Markham Fairground Days...you know 50,000 people going crazy...it was the polar opposite last night. The crowd sucked period. The setlist is what it is.....the group seems to have a collective of songs which they are comfortable playing live, and it is likely not going to change at this point in their career. Long Time Running was very cool. Escape is one of my fav's.....but Downie insists on changing chouruses to screaming....I don't get that? I understand though why they stopped playing in Kingston prior to the K-Rock Centre....I think now they play there out of obligation (I believe Rob Baker was a big supporter in pushing that building project)....or maybe times have changed and the Hip are no longer the Canadian music heavywieghts like some of us remember from 20 years ago. Hey I guess we should just be grateful that we still have them kicking around.
Haven't seen them yet this tour so I can't say boo about it, but it seems you never have a good thing to say about contemporary Hip shows you go to. Reality check man, they're not the heavyweights they were 20 years ago. Still a good band, but if you expect to go to a show and be transported back to 1993 then you're going to be disappointed. Not because they're any lesser of a band but because it's 2013 and they've changed over the last 20 years.
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

edgoffin wrote:....(how many times has Bobby played that intro to NOIS)...............
Paul plays the intro........ he's gonna kick your ass now. :)
BakersBrew
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BakersBrew »

Actually what I said is that the Hip still put on a great show. I don't like Downie changing the chorus to escape which is a great tune. My real issue was the crowd, but, someone made a good point about it being a Monday night. And as far as 1993 goes you are right it will never be like that again. So I can consider myself fortunate. quote="mojo_mattv"]
BakersBrew wrote:The Hip continue to put on a great show. I sort of had a feeling that Sarah Harmer would be part of the set. I've seen her a few times and really enjoy her music. To be honest I could have done without her being part of the show. She was not in tune with the Lookahead, and Plan A wasn't much better. If there is one complaint that is valid it would be the audience. I thought a bowling match was going to break out at anytime. Does anyone remember the Markham Fairground Days...you know 50,000 people going crazy...it was the polar opposite last night. The crowd sucked period. The setlist is what it is.....the group seems to have a collective of songs which they are comfortable playing live, and it is likely not going to change at this point in their career. Long Time Running was very cool. Escape is one of my fav's.....but Downie insists on changing chouruses to screaming....I don't get that? I understand though why they stopped playing in Kingston prior to the K-Rock Centre....I think now they play there out of obligation (I believe Rob Baker was a big supporter in pushing that building project)....or maybe times have changed and the Hip are no longer the Canadian music heavywieghts like some of us remember from 20 years ago. Hey I guess we should just be grateful that we still have them kicking around.
Haven't seen them yet this tour so I can't say boo about it, but it seems you never have a good thing to say about contemporary Hip shows you go to. Reality check man, they're not the heavyweights they were 20 years ago. Still a good band, but if you expect to go to a show and be transported back to 1993 then you're going to be disappointed. Not because they're any lesser of a band but because it's 2013 and they've changed over the last 20 years.[/quote]
tigerthelion88
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by tigerthelion88 »

Gord can really belt it man, he seems louder than ever. musically possessed. i enjoy the vocal switches during the songs. favorite move - when he x-men's the mic stand to lift on its own loll.

after it taking 4 songs into the arkells to get people to stand - you knew it was going to be a reserved crowded energy show in comparison . I dont think i hiphiphip chant passed through the bodies. IT didnt matter though- the band was a machine - always trying to break the wall

baker is a grizzly bear on stage. huge paws.