2013-09-09 - Vancouver, British Columbia

Post by sean.bonner »

who sings lonely?
everyone sings lonely
it doesn't sound so bad
who is free?
everybody's freed from the tired of being sad
so sad
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Re: 2013-09-09 - Vancouver, British Columbia

Post by The Heron Outside »

Ouch. But maybe if the pros are noticing it and writing about it, we might finally start to see some changes.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainme ... story.html
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress
Dark Canuck17
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by Dark Canuck17 »

Changes I hope the band does not read this or they would only play greatest hits...

"Trouble is, far too little of the new material moves fans. The band playing like they think the material is plodding won’t endear it to the faithful, either. Stick to New Orleans Is Sinking and it’s all good".

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/Review+Plan ... z2eUpuBjDP
want to be a nobody without peer
want to be a thought that's never done
want to shake your faith in human nature
want to break the hearts of everyone
want to be your wheezing screen door
want to be your stars of Algonquin
want to be your roaring floorboard
want to break the hearts of everyone
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

No Hipbasers at this show? I'm surprised no one has posted a setlist yet. As for the article, that's definitely the most negative Hip review I've read in quite some time. Was the show really that bad? Or does this guy just hate the band? I'd like to hear some more fan reviews to compare. The sad part is that I agree with some of his review, specifically the parts about Downie "re-arranging" the songs (ie..screaming, singing off key, and purposely screwing up his phrasing). However, this part bugs me:

"Comparing this guy as a poet to Leonard Cohen is akin to comparing Steven Segal and Daniel Day-Lewis as actors."

Say what you want about their lackluster performances and setlists of late. But in my humble opinion, Gord is still one of the greatest songwriters/lyricists/storytellers this country has ever produced. I would absolutely put him in the same league as Leonard Cohen without thinking twice about it.
redhill
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by redhill »

Sounds to me that this critic really does not like Now for plan A ... at all

Not sure why he feels that somehow readers need some sort of comparison gauge..why go down that road ?

Gord Downie has , in my opinion , never tried to be anyone but himself

Caught my eye with the part about Rob cringing... curious how these guys collectively will respond after this tour wraps up
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

Yea, even though this guy has a few valid points, he is just being a hater....IMO. I'd put Downie in the league of Cohen or any other poet plus he has been an unbelievable front man giving decades of heartfelt and original performances.... He (GD) has been a poetic and musical inspiration to so many. It is really sad to see a review like this. The worst I can ever remember. I wasn't there and we haven't actually seen the entire setlist yet.....maybe there was a suprise or two? One point the writer is trying to make is that the crowd isn't into the "new" NFPA material. Some of those songs have been played live for 3 years now! Streets Ahead, Drip (WWTBI) and Man Machine Poem have been staples at nearly every show for 3 years!!! My point is, the crowd is bored those songs because they are NOT NEW. Those are over played and predictable (I used to like them but they are so overplayed). I could see if the Hip played Modern Spirit, About This Map, NFPA or Take Forever in heavy tour rotation but they don't. The band is on the verge (no pun intended) of becoming a "phone it in" band. They are NOT embracing the music that they have created together. Something is up with these guys. If they weren't such close friends I'd say they are done....What an awesome opprotunity to do a three night stand and pull out the stops and dig into that fantastic catalog....
tfoe
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by tfoe »

Unfortunately the negative review posted above is spot on in that the show was not very good last night. I would say though that the reviewer is certainly not a fan of the band. It was great to be in the building and seeing my favourite band of all time perform will never be a bad night but unfortunately the reviews of Gord's "yelling/screaming/rearranging" are the real deal. I however got the distinct feeling that he isn't screaming lyrics for a new effect but that he is truly losing the ability to sing the way he once could. Even songs like Gift Shop or Bobcaygeon were poorly sung. This was an unsettling thought throughout the show as I felt like perhaps the best of the Hip live performances are well behind them and we are now on a steady down slope to the end.

There was some good though, Rob Baker is a magician and was as good last night as I have ever seen. I also really noticed Johnny more than ever...possibly due to my attempts to look elsewhere than Gord. Johnny killed it on Man Machine Poem...

Sorry I didn't get the setlist but it certainly was very vanilla. Personally I haven't seen "Locked" in many years so I was happy to get that and "Escape" is a favourite of mine so that was also great.

I really do hope I'm wrong with my thoughts on Gord and that I still get to watch these guys bring the house down for another decade or so. Wishing the best for all of you guys attending tonight and Thursday...hopefully a few more rarities and a bit more singing!
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

direwolf74 wrote:But in my humble opinion, Gord is still one of the greatest songwriters/lyricists/storytellers this country has ever produced. I would absolutely put him in the same league as Leonard Cohen without thinking twice about it.
As song writers go, maybe ... still a bit of a stretch. As poets, no not even close. Its all relative of course but I personally can't buy into that one.
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

tfoe wrote: It was great to be in the building and seeing my favourite band of all time perform will never be a bad night but unfortunately the reviews of Gord's "yelling/screaming/rearranging" are the real deal. I however got the distinct feeling that he isn't screaming lyrics for a new effect but that he is truly losing the ability to sing the way he once could. Even songs like Gift Shop or Bobcaygeon were poorly sung.
That's a shame. The other night in Calgary I thought Gord sounded very good for the most part, save for a few of the older hits where he just screamed through them (specifically on Grace, Gift, Courage, Music@Work, and Little Bones). He can definitely still sing when he actually chooses to do so. Like others have mentioned recently, I think his shouting/screaming routine is just him being self-consciously weird, either because he's completely bored of those songs, or because his heart isn't in it like it used to be. Hard to say what's really going on with him. If he's bored of certain songs, then why do they continue to play the same material every single night?? I'd bet you $100 that if they dug a little deeper into their back catalogue and took a break from playing certain songs, he'd probably sing them perfectly.
restlesssoul
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by restlesssoul »

At Transformation
Grace, Too
Escape Is At Hand For The Travellin' Man
Man Machine Poem
Gift Shop
Ahead By A Century
Streets Ahead
The Lookahead
Poets
In View
We Want To Be It
Fully Completely
Bobcaygeon
Courage (For Hugh Maclennan)
New Orleans Is Sinking
Blow At High Dough
Encore:
Scared
At The Hundredth Meridian
My Music At Work
Locked In The Trunk Of A Car
Little Bones

Only second time Locked has been played all year.
Vancouver 1997 Vancouver 1999 I Vancouver 2000 I Vancouver 2002 II Vancouver 2004 Vancouver 2006 I Vancouver 2006 III Vancouver 2006 IV Kamloops 2007 Seattle 2007 Marymoor 2007 Vancouver 2007 Seattle 2009 Vancouver 2009 I Vancouver 2009 II Vancouver 2009 II Abbotsford 2009
Burnaby 2011 Seattle 2012 Kamloops 2013 Vancouver 2014 Vancouver 2015
tfoe
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by tfoe »

direwolf74 wrote:
That's a shame. The other night in Calgary I thought Gord sounded very good for the most part, save for a few of the older hits where he just screamed through them (specifically on Grace, Gift, Courage, Music@Work, and Little Bones). He can definitely still sing when he actually chooses to do so. Like others have mentioned recently, I think his shouting/screaming routine is just him being self-consciously weird, either because he's completely bored of those songs, or because his heart isn't in it like it used to be. Hard to say what's really going on with him. If he's bored of certain songs, then why do they continue to play the same material every single night?? I'd bet you $100 that if they dug a little deeper into their back catalogue and took a break from playing certain songs, he'd probably sing them perfectly.

I do hope your right and am glad to hear that you heard some good during the Calgary show as there was very little last night. Hoping tonight is better for all those attending...
abrown
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by abrown »

So no opening band correct? What time did the hip take the stage? Concert done by?

I caved a bought a single for Thursday night despite saying the cost was too high for the less than desirable last few shows I've seen. A few pre shows beers should help make sure the show is enjoyable
Jack Straw
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Jack Straw »

Shows keep getting shorter....
BakersBrew
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BakersBrew »

This wasn't necessarily a terrible review. There were some compliments, though, I'm not sure sticking to New Orleans is what anyone truly wants. I hope they do see this article and take a look in the mirror as a band. We all know they are better than this. It is time to take a break, re-group, and come back to live performances with a 100 percent commitment. Everyone will forget about this if they truly start delivering live performances again next tour.
The Heron Outside wrote:Ouch. But maybe if the pros are noticing it and writing about it, we might finally start to see some changes.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainme ... story.html