2013-06-20 - Cobourg, Ontario

Been to a show? Post your review.
Jack Straw
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Re: 2013-06-20 - Cobourg, Ontario

Post by Jack Straw »

thompson girl wrote:Show hit a snafu for me when s double amputee and some drunk big dude decided to fight. The amputee got head butted and blacked out went into seizures blood everywhere.
So are we talking 2 legs, 2 arms or one of each? Or just fingers? I know this probably wasn't funny as it was happening but I have images in my head of Monty Python & The Holy Grail. Only at The Hip, eh? I just wasn't expecting to read the line, "The amputee got head-butted..." in this thread...
carebread wrote:I could totally do with less Courage, Blow, NOIS, for more Flamenco, Daredevil, and Escape. Love those tunes.
Nodding.
johnwblake wrote:Was glad to hear Daredevil, Fire in the Hole, Flamenco, was great to see Gord Sinclair get involved in the vocals on Wheat Kings.
So, was there a taper in house?
mintgreenbird wrote:As Alawys my pix are on my photo stream
https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A45oqs3q7ivJH
Thanks for sharing!
nhaste
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by nhaste »

I enjoyed last night much more than the ACC in February. Gord's voice I thought was spot on, much less screaming. Loved hearing Flamenco, Escape and Daredevil. Considering I was mostly expecting all hits, I was pleasantly surprised to hear them. Only disappointment for me was the encore.
tigerthelion88
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by tigerthelion88 »

ya I was a few ppl away from that scrap -- it was tough not to get distracted, the boys noticed,, gord noticed, and then went on to sing "don't worry about it, don't worry about it, you wont remember, youll just forget, I've already forgotten this song..." something like that lol. His mic also took a beating this night... "I swear it was dented before I got it" hahah
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

Jack Straw wrote:
thompson girl wrote:Show hit a snafu for me when s double amputee and some drunk big dude decided to fight. The amputee got head butted and blacked out went into seizures blood everywhere.
So are we talking 2 legs, 2 arms or one of each? Or just fingers? I know this probably wasn't funny as it was happening but I have images in my head of Monty Python & The Holy Grail. Only at The Hip, eh? I just wasn't expecting to read the line, "The amputee got head-butted..." in this thread...
That was mintgreenbird, but I must say, that is disgusting. Ew, blood on your shoes...There was a fight right behind me too on, on the right hand side. What is it with Cobourgians?
carebread
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by carebread »

Agreeing with the sentiment that this show was solid. My favourites are almost always played (Fully, Little Bones) so it's not hard to impress me, but I was really glad to hear Fire in the Hole and Escape. Personally, I was directly below one of the speakers flocking the stage - I'm not going to damn my 4th row seats - so it was a bit loud and distorted. Show gets bonus points for Gord mentioning my hometown (lol Brighton).

I noticed Gord's voice being better than I remembered at the past couple concerts. He still does the unnecessary screaming during choruses but am happy it's him making poor choices and not his voice being shot. He seemed to calm it down a bit during the encore.

I didn't bring a camera and I'm kicking myself in the ass.. I had a great view. All I had was my phone. Here are a few images. Seriously, I'm pissed. I'm buying a camera before Bluesfest.. not that I'll get this close anyway. I taped a bit but it was just a portion of a song.

Across The Causeway '04 | Big Music Fest '08 | Kingston '09 | Bobcaygeon '11 | Cobourg '13 | Bluesfest '13 | Danforth Music Hall '15 | Kingston '15 | Bluesfest '15 | Toronto I '16 | Toronto II '16 | Toronto III '16 | Hamilton '16 | Ottawa '16 | Kingston '16
carebread
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by carebread »

thompson girl wrote:
Jack Straw wrote:
That was mintgreenbird, but I must say, that is disgusting. Ew, blood on your shoes...There was a fight right behind me too on, on the right hand side. What is it with Cobourgians?
You must have been right in front of me! The fight on the right hand side (if there was only one) involved the guy sitting to my left.
Across The Causeway '04 | Big Music Fest '08 | Kingston '09 | Bobcaygeon '11 | Cobourg '13 | Bluesfest '13 | Danforth Music Hall '15 | Kingston '15 | Bluesfest '15 | Toronto I '16 | Toronto II '16 | Toronto III '16 | Hamilton '16 | Ottawa '16 | Kingston '16
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

Jack Straw wrote:So, was there a taper in house?
In one of MAv's pics you could clearly see 2 mics on stands at the front right corner of the soundboard.
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

ikky99 wrote:
Jack Straw wrote:So, was there a taper in house?
In one of MAv's pics you could clearly see 2 mics on stands at the front right corner of the soundboard.
Along with video.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

carebread wrote:You must have been right in front of me! The fight on the right hand side (if there was only one) involved the guy sitting to my left.
Were you the guy I told to F@*k off? :lol: Seriously, a guy in the row behind me reached over and grabbed me around the waist twice. If he did it again, I was going to be the one starting a fight. I was right in front of the aisle, and I was talking the older lady before, and warned her that she was going to have a difficult job. I don't think she had any idea. :roll:

Edit: yes, that may be my camera in your first pic. But don't buy a nice camera or else you'll spend the whole darn time taking pictures like me. But you do get some good ones. :oops:

Here is a link my pics: June 20, 2013 - Cobourg Community Centre
carebread
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by carebread »

thompson girl wrote:
carebread wrote:You must have been right in front of me! The fight on the right hand side (if there was only one) involved the guy sitting to my left.
Were you the guy I told to F@*k off? :lol: Seriously, a guy in the row behind me reached over and grabbed me around the waist twice. If he did it again, I was going to be the one starting a fight. I was right in front of the aisle, and I was talking the older lady before, and warned her that she was going to have a difficult job. I don't think she had any idea. :roll:

Edit: yes, that may be my camera in your first pic. But don't buy a nice camera or else you'll spend the whole darn time taking pictures like me. But you do get some good ones. :oops:

Here is a link my pics: June 20, 2013 - Cobourg Community Centre
I sure hope not! (I'm a girl) There was some tall, pretty obese dude that grabbed my shoulders to sway me from side to side, then started blowing my hair. What the f**k, Cobourg? I wanted to deck him but I also wanted to see the rest of the show. The old woman on the event staff was doomed from the get go. Her chair got pushed into me more than once.
BIGVDOGG
Completist
Completist

Post by BIGVDOGG »

When this show was announced I knew I needed to make the trek from our summer getaway in The Kawarthas. The presale was a fiasco,and I was uncertain if I would find tickets,but MAv promised me I would be in the building.As a regular attendee,I have been spoiled in the past,and in my mind anything outside of the 1st 5 rows would be a dissapointment.I marked this as my 50th show,although Im confident I am well over that #. I made the decision from early on that I would be bringing my 6 year old daughter to this her very 1st show,and as the time got closer,her and I grew more excited.She has grown up listening to The Hip,but Im sure she would be happy just to spend the day with her daddy.On that topic I made sure to purchase a "Dont Wake Daddy" for her to wear.We arrived at 4pm and made our way into the building to will call to secure our yet to be determined seat location,and right away were welcomed by the sound of the boys soundchecking We Want To Be It(one of Victorias favourites),and right then I knew it was going to be a special day.My box office anticipation was high as the tickets got printed off and much to my relief,we got 3rd row floors right between the Gords.We stayed in the building for a few minutes listening and as they ended,we headed outside towards where their bus was parked.Sure enough a few minutes later one by one with the exception of Robbie,the guys came out,and all of them being the gentlemen they are stopped and said Hi to Victoria and I,posing for photos and signing personalized greetings on the NFPA record I brought for Victoria to get signed.There was also a reporter for The Northhumberlandtoday.com newspaper that asked if he could do a little story on us and took a few pics.A quick bite to eat,then show time.We made our way down to our seats during the opening band,and I could see the look in my daughters eyes that she was excited.9:05 pm The boys hit the stage starting out with At Transformation and never looking back.I did bring my video camera,and my daughter asked if she could tape some of the show.I set her up and let her freestyle not knowing if any of it would turn out.I have included the unedited version of a few songs which are posted on Youtube.During ATHM Gord pointed down at Victoria and asked if she was tired,she shook her head no,and he said neither was he,then told her he loved her.I was completely floored by this,and this could very well be the most special Hip moment ever for me.As the show went on Victoria danced the whole time,never once sitting down.Although this was another greatest hits setlist,it did not matter.At the end of Little Bones Gord S threw a bottle of water to us,a true class act.While gathering up our gear,MAv reached over and tapped me on the shoulder,in his hand was Gords setlist that Billy Ray had passed down for us.An amazing day for a little girl and her daddy that neither of us will ever forget.Thank you guys for being true gentlemen and Canadas best!

Our photos on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 026&type=3

Victorias Video

Gords shoutout @3:20

Northhumberlandtoday.com article:
http://www.northumberlandtoday.com/2013 ... ks-the-ccc
For Vic Colville, meanwhile, Thursday's show marked his 50th time seeing the Hip in concert. He came from Hamilton this one was perhaps the most special one he has attended as he brought his six-year-old daughter Victoria, who was sporting a ‘Don’t Wake Daddy’ Hip t-shirt. It was show No. 1 for her.

It was a big deal for Colville to get to share the experience with his daughter.

“Already today I’ve had tears come to my eyes a few times and the show hasn’t even started yet,” he said. “Looking back on her life, she’ll have these memories and remember this time with her dad.”

Colville described the lure of The Hip as “a bond between Canada, the band and its fans, and family.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

BIGVDOGG wrote:When this show was announced I knew I needed to make the trek from our summer getaway in The Kawarthas. The presale was a fiasco,and I was uncertain if I would find tickets,but MAv promised me I would be in the building.As a regular attendee,I have been spoiled in the past,and in my mind anything outside of the 1st 5 rows would be a dissapointment.I marked this as my 50th show,although Im confident I am well over that #. I made the decision from early on that I would be bringing my 6 year old daughter to this her very 1st show,and as the time got closer,her and I grew more excited.She has grown up listening to The Hip,but Im sure she would be happy just to spend the day with her daddy.On that topic I made sure to purchase a "Dont Wake Daddy" for her to wear.We arrived at 4pm and made our way into the building to will call to secure our yet to be determined seat location,and right away were welcomed by the sound of the boys soundchecking We Want To Be It(one of Victorias favourites),and right then I knew it was going to be a special day.My box office anticipation was high as the tickets got printed off and much to my relief,we got 3rd row floors right between the Gords.We stayed in the building for a few minutes listening and as they ended,we headed outside towards where their bus was parked.Sure enough a few minutes later one by one with the exception of Robbie,the guys came out,and all of them being the gentlemen they are stopped and said Hi to Victoria and I,posing for photos and signing personalized greetings on the NFPA record I brought for Victoria to get signed.There was also a reporter for The Northhumberlandtoday.com newspaper that asked if he could do a little story on us and took a few pics.A quick bite to eat,then show time.We made our way down to our seats during the opening band,and I could see the look in my daughters eyes that she was excited.9:05 pm The boys hit the stage starting out with At Transformation and never looking back.I did bring my video camera,and my daughter asked if she could tape some of the show.I set her up and let her freestyle not knowing if any of it would turn out.I have included the unedited version of a few songs which are posted on Youtube.During ATHM Gord pointed down at Victoria and asked if she was tired,she shook her head no,and he said neither was he,then told her he loved her.I was completely floored by this,and this could very well be the most special Hip moment ever for me.As the show went on Victoria danced the whole time,never once sitting down.Although this was another greatest hits setlist,it did not matter.At the end of Little Bones Gord S threw a bottle of water to us,a true class act.While gathering up our gear,MAv reached over and tapped me on the shoulder,in his hand was Gords setlist that Billy Ray had passed down for us.An amazing day for a little girl and her daddy that neither of us will ever forget.Thank you guys for being true gentlemen and Canadas best!

Our photos on Facebook

Victorias Video

For Vic Colville, meanwhile, Thursday's show marked his 50th time seeing the Hip in concert. He came from Hamilton this one was perhaps the most special one he has attended as he brought his six-year-old daughter Victoria, who was sporting a ‘Don’t Wake Daddy’ Hip t-shirt. It was show No. 1 for her.

It was a big deal for Colville to get to share the experience with his daughter.

“Already today I’ve had tears come to my eyes a few times and the show hasn’t even started yet,” he said. “Looking back on her life, she’ll have these memories and remember this time with her dad.”

Colville described the lure of The Hip as “a bond between Canada, the band and its fans, and family.”
Beautiful! Brought a tear to my eye.
johnwblake
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by johnwblake »

BIGVDOGG wrote:When this show was announced I knew I needed to make the trek from our summer getaway in The Kawarthas. The presale was a fiasco,and I was uncertain if I would find tickets,but MAv promised me I would be in the building.As a regular attendee,I have been spoiled in the past,and in my mind anything outside of the 1st 5 rows would be a dissapointment.I marked this as my 50th show,although Im confident I am well over that #. I made the decision from early on that I would be bringing my 6 year old daughter to this her very 1st show,and as the time got closer,her and I grew more excited.She has grown up listening to The Hip,but Im sure she would be happy just to spend the day with her daddy.On that topic I made sure to purchase a "Dont Wake Daddy" for her to wear.We arrived at 4pm and made our way into the building to will call to secure our yet to be determined seat location,and right away were welcomed by the sound of the boys soundchecking We Want To Be It(one of Victorias favourites),and right then I knew it was going to be a special day.My box office anticipation was high as the tickets got printed off and much to my relief,we got 3rd row floors right between the Gords.We stayed in the building for a few minutes listening and as they ended,we headed outside towards where their bus was parked.Sure enough a few minutes later one by one with the exception of Robbie,the guys came out,and all of them being the gentlemen they are stopped and said Hi to Victoria and I,posing for photos and signing personalized greetings on the NFPA record I brought for Victoria to get signed.There was also a reporter for The Northhumberlandtoday.com newspaper that asked if he could do a little story on us and took a few pics.A quick bite to eat,then show time.We made our way down to our seats during the opening band,and I could see the look in my daughters eyes that she was excited.9:05 pm The boys hit the stage starting out with At Transformation and never looking back.I did bring my video camera,and my daughter asked if she could tape some of the show.I set her up and let her freestyle not knowing if any of it would turn out.I have included the unedited version of a few songs which are posted on Youtube.During ATHM Gord pointed down at Victoria and asked if she was tired,she shook her head no,and he said neither was he,then told her he loved her.I was completely floored by this,and this could very well be the most special Hip moment ever for me.As the show went on Victoria danced the whole time,never once sitting down.Although this was another greatest hits setlist,it did not matter.At the end of Little Bones Gord S threw a bottle of water to us,a true class act.While gathering up our gear,MAv reached over and tapped me on the shoulder,in his hand was Gords setlist that Billy Ray had passed down for us.An amazing day for a little girl and her daddy that neither of us will ever forget.Thank you guys for being true gentlemen and Canadas best!

Our photos on Facebook

Victorias Video

Excellent story Vic, my girlfriend and I were seated directly in front of you and your daughter, and couldn't help but notice how much she was enjoying the show! Awesome to see younger fans enjoy the same music as Dad.

John
carebread
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by carebread »

Vic! You and Victoria were a row in front of me but to the left a bit. I kept on looking over at you, she looked like she was having the time of her life. Also, I was jealous that a) I didn't have that good a taste in music at her age and that b) my parents weren't as cool as you, I went to no concerts until I was 16. :p