2015-04-18 - Buffalo, New York

SteveK2151
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Re: 2015-04-18 - Buffalo, New York

Post by SteveK2151 »

Dark Canuck has great seats at face value for sure. Feel free to take my post down if it was doing anything outside of the rules of this board.
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

We will be staying at the Embassy Suites so any recommendations on good pre-show bars or restaurants walking distance would be much appreciated.
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

thebends wrote:We will be staying at the Embassy Suites so any recommendations on good pre-show bars or restaurants walking distance would be much appreciated.
You're only a block away from Chippewa Street which has tons of bars and restaurants, you really can't go wrong before and after.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

Tthip wrote:
thebends wrote:We will be staying at the Embassy Suites so any recommendations on good pre-show bars or restaurants walking distance would be much appreciated.
You're only a block away from Chippewa Street which has tons of bars and restaurants, you really can't go wrong before and after.
Gracias!
bstrauss24
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bstrauss24 »

Anyone here anything about The Edge doing some kind of surprise before the show?
MalcolmKellyRaps
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by MalcolmKellyRaps »

I am looking for a pair. Is anyone trying to move something?

Steve
jbros305
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by jbros305 »

I know this is a long shot but I have two tickets to tomorrows show in Buffalo. I paid over 200.00 for the seats and the parking pass. They are in Floor 3 row 13

I am in the Detroit area. I will sell them and the pass for 100.00 I can not make it to the show. LMK text me at 248-505-4792

thanks Jon
Indie Smash
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Indie Smash »

Grace
At Transformation
So hard
ABAC
New Orleans

Fully

In View
Twist my Arm
Scared
Nautical
Blow
Corpse
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Corpse »

Good show but fast. Seemed like whambamthankyouma'am n off the stage. No real banter just got right into the tunes. Glad to hear So Hard. That's been a fav since the album came out.
jackstraw
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by jackstraw »

Corpse wrote: Seemed like whambamthankyouma'am n off the stage.
I hate to complain, I don't know if it was rushed or what, but I found the show lacking in passion/ heart. Gords animation seemed staged rather than organic, he talked the songs rather than sang, and he was out of sync with the music. 1st time ever.... a little disappointed.
nbarry19
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by nbarry19 »

I've seen them many times, and I thought this was great. Yeah, sure they jumped right into it and did seem to tear through the set but all in all it's one of the better shows I've seen from them. Gord's voice was on point more so than the last couple of times I saw 'em, at least in my opinion.

Now the question is, did anyone tape this show?
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/ ... w-20150418

Fans treated to a fully, completely epic Hip show

We didn’t get the first draft pick. But we got the Hip. So quit cryin’ in your beer.

Speaking of teams, the Tragically Hip have always been a great one, a five-man unit capable of finding the common ground, listening, letting less be more, and turning on the heat when doing so is absolutely necessary.

On Saturday, inside First Niagara Center, the band did exactly that. The place was packed, the excitement level was high, many in attendance appeared to have been treating this as a tailgate-worthy event, and the Hip played the entire “Fully Completely” – the record many label as the group’s finest, though in reality, there are many contenders for that title.

Buffalo music lovers have had the opportunity to see the Tragically Hip on every tour the band has ever done over the past 25-plus years. We’ve been treated to intimate shows – a pair at the Town Ballroom on the “World Container” tour provided the high point of the “in your face” Hip gigs in town, in my opinion – and we’ve had Darien Lake PAC shows, which felt big and slightly removed, but were still pretty great. What made Saturday’s First Niagara Center show different? It was the fire, the glint in singer Gord Downie’s eyes evident from the moment he took to the stage, and the unerring tightness of the band throughout the gig.

The Hip has been celebrating the 23rd anniversary of “Fully Completely,” playing the album in full each night with a varying group of songs on either side of it, and the repetitive set lists seem to have provided a lockstep power to the proceedings. We’ve seen dozens of Hip gigs in Buffalo, but this one was the most agile, the most consistently driving, and during its highest peaks, the most transcendent of the bunch.

Opening with “Grace, Too” is always a great idea, for it is perhaps the one Hip song you might play for a friend unfamiliar with the group, who is wondering what it’s all about. It built slowly on Saturday, as it always does, and then it grew ominous, and finally exploded into an unsettling refrain, with Downie gesticulating wildly and turning a gorgeous modal vamp into a piece of high-performance art. This song gives us everything the band does so well in capsule form. Saturday’s version was dramatic, grandiose, and epic in scope. What a way to get things going.

The rest of the pre-“Fully Completely” set was immaculately presented, jumping from old to new with ease and grace, as “At Transformation” gave way to “So Hard Done By,” the pastoral acoustic beauty “Ahead By a Century,” and one of the band’s first attention grabbers of its career, the swampy garage-rocker “New Orleans Is Sinking.”

Then came “Fully Completely” in full and complete presentation, kicking off with a torrid “Courage,” as scrims emblazoned with the album’s artwork flitted about above the band, and fists were raised in sing-along unison, followed by the sturdy and Stones-y “Looking For a Place to Happen” and the Buffalo-name-dropping alt-blues burner, “At the Hundredth Meridian”.

Downie’s performance art, punctuated by a high falsetto scream that is a new addition to his arsenal – and awesome, it must be said – provided the focal point throughout Saturday’s gig, but the interplay between guitarists Rob Baker and Paul Langlois was also a treat. The two have always traded in a sort of Keith Richard-Ron Wood style of call and response, but after a quarter-century together, their intuitive interplay has become something both earthy and sublime – well earned, and honed over time. The same can be said for the rhythm section of bassist Gord Sinclair and drummer Johnny Fay, who doubled down on the “Fully Completely” material in a manner that made it aggressive and arena worthy.

This was an epic Hip show, by any standards.

email: [email protected]
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

Nothing but love for this band! I thought it was a fantastic show, tight, feverish tempo, and can't say enough about Downie's volcals - maybe one of his finest performances for us. It was nice to take in a show from further away, about halfway back and a couple of rows up, a different perspective than most of the shows we've been to. Mix from our position was pretty much spotless. Highlights for me were SHDB, Twist, and pretty much all of FC, including dare I say Courage, a song we've heard live more times than I care to remember. My wife commented on the drive back home this morning that she had the same feeling last night that she did when we attended our first Hip show, ARA in Markham ON. Nearly 23 years ago we got many of the same songs we experienced last night, including We'll Go Too (opener), The Wherewithal, Fully, Wheat Kings, New Orleans, At the Hundredth Meridian, Eldorado, Blow, and Looking for a Place to Happen. Nearly 200 shows later there we were, still wide eyed and totally blown away by the raw talent on stage. To each their own I guess, and I've done my fair share of complaining from time to time, but at least for us it was a remarkably enjoyable performance. We spent much of the time on our way back to Burlington today reminiscing on some of our favourite shows, some only memories and feelings that without a little research will remain without time or place. This band has been such an essential part of our live music experience, for so long, it makes me feel the Hip truly do live between us.
ikky99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by ikky99 »

Stay classy Ontarians:

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/ ... t-20150419

Three men were arrested after battling security officers in separate incidents during Saturday night’s Tragically Hip concert in First Niagara Center, Central District police said. Two were Canadians and the third would not identify himself.

Jagdeepak Sandhar, 42, of Dundas, Ont., allegedly was caught smoking in a restroom about 9:10 p.m. and fought with a man who complained and a security guard. He was charged with disorderly conduct, harassment and trespass.

Cale Tiffin, 30, of Port Elgin, Ont., was ejected from the arena about 9:45 p.m., but tried to re-enter about 11 p.m., fought with a security officer, and was arrested on charges of criminal trespass and harassment.

The unidentified third man elbowed a guard in the face about 9:30 p.m. after the guard found him in an area of the arena that was off-limits to the public. The charges will be harassment and trespass.
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

Robbie was ripping it up all night
. Especially during blow !