2015-01-20 - Burlington, Vermont

Smokey
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Re: 2015-01-20 - Burlington, Vermont

Post by Smokey »

direwolf74 wrote:
ikky99 wrote:
Jack Straw wrote:I was trying to look up when Vapour Trails was last played and that type of search/cross-reference is no longer available at thehip.com (that I can tell)... I have it down as 2004/11/28 Ottawa, ON. If that's correct this is a pretty big bust-out of a song that's been away for over a decade...
Thank f**k they're pulling out some gems!
Yup, it's nice to see them finally dusting off some rarities on this tour. And it sounds like Gord's vocals are in good shape as well, which bodes well for future tours. Clearly he can still sing when he wants to. I'm happy to hear people are enjoying these shows. I've done my share of bitching about the ticket prices, and I'm still of the opinion that they're a bit on the outrageous side, especially for the Canadian shows ($140 for Calgary). As a result, this is the first Hip tour I've ever skipped due to financial constraints, and that's disappointing to me.

That being said, I'm really glad that their live show appears to be back on track, and they seem to be making a conscious effort to make the setlists interesting again. The live clips I've seen on Youtube sound great. Full props to Gord for cutting back on the screaming and using his natural range again. He's got such a unique and beautiful instrument when he chooses to use it.

very well said
fingernailsonhull
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by fingernailsonhull »

direwolf74 wrote:
ikky99 wrote:
Jack Straw wrote:I was trying to look up when Vapour Trails was last played and that type of search/cross-reference is no longer available at thehip.com (that I can tell)... I have it down as 2004/11/28 Ottawa, ON. If that's correct this is a pretty big bust-out of a song that's been away for over a decade...
Thank f**k they're pulling out some gems!
Yup, it's nice to see them finally dusting off some rarities on this tour. And it sounds like Gord's vocals are in good shape as well, which bodes well for future tours. Clearly he can still sing when he wants to. I'm happy to hear people are enjoying these shows. I've done my share of bitching about the ticket prices, and I'm still of the opinion that they're a bit on the outrageous side, especially for the Canadian shows ($140 for Calgary). As a result, this is the first Hip tour I've ever skipped due to financial constraints, and that's disappointing to me.

That being said, I'm really glad that their live show appears to be back on track, and they seem to be making a conscious effort to make the setlists interesting again. The live clips I've seen on Youtube sound great. Full props to Gord for cutting back on the screaming and using his natural range again. He's got such a unique and beautiful instrument when he chooses to use it.
There are Groupons available for the Canadian shows for $45.
Jeff

June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
joshwayy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by joshwayy »

Well, it's been a couple of days and my ears have stopped ringing. I missed the presale by a few days and was without tickets as the show approached. I sent a timely email to a "representative of the band" and fortunately karma was with me and I was able to purchase two tickets from the bands allotment a couple of weeks before the show. 15th row for $60 was worth every penny.

Sound, stage, and crowd was awesome. Great set; highlights for me was Vapor Trails, Eldorado, and We Want To Be It. No discernible chatter, ad-libs or rants to speak of...but GD had a strong stage presence and it was hard to tell he was following a prompter and of course the band was rock solid. Someone in the band must love In View, but people ran for the beer when it started.