they are charging an arm and leg
also bust out some sick stuff
would like to hear
another midnight
cord
38 years old now that they play it

same old lame hip
its like they gave up and this is the you paid us fully and completely tour

WHERE WAS 38YRS OLD PLAYED? I HAVE NEVER SEEN IT AND THE LAST ITME I AM AWARE OF IT BEING PLAYED WAS AT THE TOWN BALLROOM IN BUFFALO. A SHOW THAT I MISSED BECAUSE AT TIMES I CANT MAKE UP MY OWN MIND AND I FOLLOWED A FRIEND. JUST TO SAY, I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR
38 (NEVER SAW)
FIGHT (NEVER SAW)
THUGS ( SAW ONLY ONCE)

I COULD OG ON AND ON ACTUALLY SO ILL STOP.
pars9393
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Re: 2015-01-13 - Chicago, Illinois

Post by pars9393 »

38 years old was played a few times in 2006, and debuted at 2nd night fort york show.
Smokey
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Smokey »

NOTHING RECENTLY. YOU HAD ME HOPING :?
The Horrible Esthete
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by The Horrible Esthete »

sean.bonner wrote:You guys are crazy.

At my 18th Hip show, I got to see six songs I've never seen before... An album front-to-back, and the lesser played Something On and Escape is at Hand.

Pigeon Camera, Looking For A Place to Happen, The Wherewithal, Lionized, We'll Go Too, Eldorado and The Wherewithal are RARELY played, and I somehow managed 17 shows without seeing Fifty-Mission Cap, so it can't be that common.

Seems like people will find a reason to complain if the show is anything short of a live-by-request at their private summer cottage.
"Live-by-request" at my "summer cottage"? Haha...no need for hyperbole, Sean.

I've witnessed ALL of the following at LEAST 15 times apiece -- some 25, and some 40 or even 50 times:

Blow
NOIS
Bones
Twist
Pistols
Courage
Meridian
Fully
Wheat
Grace
Nautical
Scared
Gift
Springtime
ABAC
Poets
BobC
Fireworks
Escape
M@W

I live on the frickin Ohio River, for Gord sakes. I've seen them play venues from South Carolina to California to Chicago to Las Vegas to New York to Onta-ri-ari-o. It's not 'crazy' to ask that they take this opportunity -- where they are presenting no new material whatsoever -- to treat us all to some tunes that some Cincinnati guy hasn't already seen them them do thirty-five times. Other established, veteran bands mix up their sets far, far more than this band does.

I want to think that there's some other explanation besides them just getting accustomed to making their coffer-filling rounds at minimal effort, but I can't think of any.

Perhaps I will muse upon it over a glass of 'Tragically Hip Grand Reserve Red'.
Smokey
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Smokey »

The Horrible Esthete wrote:
sean.bonner wrote:You guys are crazy.

At my 18th Hip show, I got to see six songs I've never seen before... An album front-to-back, and the lesser played Something On and Escape is at Hand.

Pigeon Camera, Looking For A Place to Happen, The Wherewithal, Lionized, We'll Go Too, Eldorado and The Wherewithal are RARELY played, and I somehow managed 17 shows without seeing Fifty-Mission Cap, so it can't be that common.

Seems like people will find a reason to complain if the show is anything short of a live-by-request at their private summer cottage.
"Live-by-request" at my "summer cottage"? Haha...no need for hyperbole, Sean.

I've witnessed ALL of the following at LEAST 15 times apiece -- some 25, and some 40 or even 50 times:

Blow
NOIS
Bones
Twist
Pistols
Courage
Meridian
Fully
Wheat
Grace
Nautical
Scared
Gift
Springtime
ABAC
Poets
BobC
Fireworks
Escape
M@W

I live on the frickin Ohio River, for Gord sakes. I've seen them play venues from South Carolina to California to Chicago to Las Vegas to New York to Onta-ri-ari-o. It's not 'crazy' to ask that they take this opportunity -- where they are presenting no new material whatsoever -- to treat us all to some tunes that some Cincinnati guy hasn't already seen them them do thirty-five times. Other established, veteran bands mix up their sets far, far more than this band does.

I want to think that there's some other explanation besides them just getting accustomed to making their coffer-filling rounds at minimal effort, but I can't think of any.

I really have to agree. I have seen upwards of 30 shows easy and I could use some additions to the norm set list. makes me sad but it is what it is.
jgardz
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by jgardz »

Same here...30 odd shows and I'd love to see Em change it up a bit...doesn't have to be Pearl Jam epic 3 hour, rarity filled, but something like the M@W, or even '09 tour, would be fantastic!!
sullivand
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sullivand »

Nicely done. :thumb:
The Horrible Esthete wrote:Perhaps I will muse upon it over a glass of 'Tragically Hip Grand Reserve Red'.
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

The Horrible Esthete wrote: I want to think that there's some other explanation besides them just getting accustomed to making their coffer-filling rounds at minimal effort, but I can't think of any.

:thumb:
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

jgardz wrote:Same here...30 odd shows and I'd love to see Em change it up a bit...doesn't have to be Pearl Jam epic 3 hour, rarity filled, but something like the M@W, or even '09 tour, would be fantastic!!
Pearl Jam are the golden standard when it comes to mixing up their setlist. Every show they play is truly a unique experience, and they really seem to go out of their way to make it different every night for their fans. This quote from Eddie Vedder in the PJ20 documentary pretty much sums it up:

"It would be so much easier to go out and play a similar set every night, but we just can't in good conscience allow ourselves to do that."
jgardz
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by jgardz »

direwolf74 wrote:
jgardz wrote:Same here...30 odd shows and I'd love to see Em change it up a bit...doesn't have to be Pearl Jam epic 3 hour, rarity filled, but something like the M@W, or even '09 tour, would be fantastic!!
Pearl Jam are the golden standard when it comes to mixing up their setlist. Every show they play is truly a unique experience, and they really seem to go out of their way to make it different every night for their fans. This quote from Eddie Vedder in the PJ20 documentary pretty much sums it up:

"It would be so much easier to go out and play a similar set every night, but we just can't in good conscience allow ourselves to do that."
Exactly, this approach, coupled with them releasing nearly every show, is why I am still a huge pj fan, while I've gotten bored with the hip over the past few years..