2015-01-13 - Chicago, Illinois

pars9393
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Re: 2015-01-13 - Chicago, Illinois

Post by pars9393 »

i just don't get it, seems so easy to mix up setlists and they just refuse!
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Mr. Lahey wrote:That's kind of a lame setlist. I was certain we'd get some better variety (aside from the FC set) but it looks just the way the last two tours did. A set staple of songs with one rarity mixed in rotation. I know it's only two shows in so we'll see if things evolve at all. But so far it looks like it's gonna be like this:

Grace
Music
Escape
View
(Rotating hit)
*FC*
(NFPA song)
(Rotating Rarity)
(NFPA song)
Poets
(Rotating hit closer)

A little boring IMO. Mix up the whole order or something. We really shouldn't hear anything from WC, WATS or NFPA (and I love these albums) as they aren't as interesting to the audience and we've heard them 100 times in the last six years. I know it'll still be fun regardless but some variety is so overdue. Fortunately hearing a lot of rarely played FC tunes will be epic.
Agreed. The FC thing is pretty cool, but they should be mixing up the other 10 songs a lot more if they really want to give people their money's worth. It's baffling to me that they would continue to ignore such a massive back catalogue in favor of songs they've played a gazillion times over the last few years (Poets, Music, In View, Blow, NOIS, etc..). It's disappointing for sure. I'd love to hear some of those FC songs live again, but at the same time I'm glad I decided to skip this tour (first Hip tour I've missed since 1990). For me it's just not worth the insane ticket price, especially for the Canadian shows.
The Horrible Esthete
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by The Horrible Esthete »

direwolf74 wrote:Agreed. The FC thing is pretty cool, but they should be mixing up the other 10 songs a lot more if they really want to give people their money's worth. It's baffling to me that they would continue to ignore such a massive back catalogue in favor of songs they've played a gazillion times over the last few years (Poets, Music, In View, Blow, NOIS, etc..). It's disappointing for sure. I'd love to hear some of those FC songs live again, but at the same time I'm glad I decided to skip this tour (first Hip tour I've missed since 1990). For me it's just not worth the insane ticket price, especially for the Canadian shows.
Agreed x2. I don't get it.

Seems like commemorating a 20+ year old record with a remaster and album-dedicated tour would be the PERFECT opportunity to put on a real gem of a show that features less-oft-played stuff in lieu of singles.

Sigh.
eatmecompletely
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by eatmecompletely »

I don't get why not 2 sets
they are charging an arm and leg
also bust out some sick stuff
would like to hear
another midnight
cord
38 years old now that they play it

same old lame hip
its like they gave up and this is the you paid us fully and completely tour
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

You guys are crazy.

At my 18th Hip show, I got to see six songs I've never seen before... An album front-to-back, and the lesser played Something On and Escape is at Hand.

Pigeon Camera, Looking For A Place to Happen, The Wherewithal, Lionized, We'll Go Too, Eldorado and The Wherewithal are RARELY played, and I somehow managed 17 shows without seeing Fifty-Mission Cap, so it can't be that common.

Seems like people will find a reason to complain if the show is anything short of a live-by-request at their private summer cottage.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
wheresourpigeoncamera
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by wheresourpigeoncamera »

I hear you Sean. I'm so stoked about getting 5 songs i've never seen live plus I haven't heard the Wherewithal since the mid 90's. I can't wait to see them in St. John's! On that note, I would love to hear 3 Pistols. Saw it once, when they finished one of their Hamilton(hammer in the new year) shows with it. It was awesome.
Moosehead
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Moosehead »

I think the set list was fine. All we've seen so far is a warm up show and the tour opener. Can't really use that to determine a pattern. I'm sure we'll see something new tonight for the 2nd Chicago show.

Besides, the back catalogue is being covered by the FC songs. Impossibilium and Let's Stay Engaged might have to wait for their respective tours :)
wheresourpigeoncamera
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by wheresourpigeoncamera »

Impossibilium would be an excellent little gem to throw in there. DFN is my favourite album and I got to hear Impossibilium live during the TATH tour. Still haven't heard Lets Stay Engaged live.
redhill
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by redhill »

would love to see them trade out M@W , in view and poets for some others

say... yawning or snarling or cordelia
mark
Completist
Completist

Post by mark »

sean.bonner wrote:You guys are crazy.

At my 18th Hip show, I got to see six songs I've never seen before... An album front-to-back, and the lesser played Something On and Escape is at Hand.

Pigeon Camera, Looking For A Place to Happen, The Wherewithal, Lionized, We'll Go Too, Eldorado and The Wherewithal are RARELY played, and I somehow managed 17 shows without seeing Fifty-Mission Cap, so it can't be that common.

Seems like people will find a reason to complain if the show is anything short of a live-by-request at their private summer cottage.
sean, with all due respect, you have major blinders on. everything they do, you think is the greatest thing ever.

the fact is, you only saw those songs because they are doing FC as a whole. that's it. everyone will get those songs. look at the rest of the setlist. it is just same old same old
Dire Wolf
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Dire Wolf »

I honestly feel bad for some former fans who have travelled to such a negatived place with this band, that it seems impossible for them to smile anymore :( If the setlist was good, then GD was not so good, and if GD was good, then the setlist was no good and so on. It makes a difference when you are actually at the shows. This past Saturday, the band closed with Poets and Pistols and absolutely killed them. Almost anyone who was there would tell you the roof almost came off! Current fans would tell you that it's great to hear these songs because they are amazing songs and the band still has it! Former fans would be more satisfied it seems, if the band closed with The Darkest One and Makeshift As We Are, because they are rare songs to hear live...to each his own
Last edited by Dire Wolf on Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"They're your blues, we just play 'em"
Hugh23
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Hugh23 »

gcouves
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by gcouves »

sean.bonner wrote:You guys are crazy.

sean, agreed 1000%... These shows are amazing.....no matter what they choose or how they perform, someone will wish it was somehow different, and they won't appreciate the one-off, unique experience of each show....
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

mark wrote: the fact is, you only saw those songs because they are doing FC as a whole. that's it. everyone will get those songs. look at the rest of the setlist. it is just same old same old
This.
The Heron Outside
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by The Heron Outside »

direwolf74 wrote:
mark wrote: the fact is, you only saw those songs because they are doing FC as a whole. that's it. everyone will get those songs. look at the rest of the setlist. it is just same old same old
This.
I find it pretty telling that the band aren't doing much, if any, press for this tour. It speaks to a lack of enthusiasm about the whole endeavour.
Escape Is At Hand-Tales of a Boy and a Band due June 2013 from Eternal Cavalier Press
http://eternalcavalierpress.com
http://www.twitter.com/eternalcavpress