2016-08-20 - Kingston, Ontario

edgoffin
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Re: 2016-08-20 - Kingston, Ontario

Post by edgoffin »

gillcash wrote:Floor 2, row 13. Coming in from Ottawa and staying at Delta Waterfront.

Has anyone been inside the K-Rock Centre? I see online there is one bar so I'm wondering if it's worth going into the building early and hanging out in the bar? With the credit card entry I'm kind of nervous in terms of timing to go inside.
I've been to a few shows there - not much of a bar as I remember, more of a spot in the corner. Really small rink and concourse. I am thinking it's worth alleviating the stress of being stuck in a line and getting in there.
gillcash
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by gillcash »

Thanks edgoffin

We'll probably end up playing it by ear and see if we can get into a pub. We'll get into Kingston around 1pm and then check into the hotel (if we can that early). Might walk down to K-Rock to check out the merchandise and see what the deal is with the credit card check-in.

My perfect scenario would be to walk around for an hour to check things out and be sitting in a pub by 3pm. Then having some pints and dinner then head to K-Rock around 7.

I'd be interested in what others are doing and whether people think the pubs will be absolutely crazy and by noon they'll all be full?
Scotty12
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by Scotty12 »

gillcash wrote:I've been to a few shows there - not much of a bar as I remember, more of a spot in the corner. Really small rink and concourse. I am thinking it's worth alleviating the stress of being stuck in a line and getting in there.
Correct - there is one "bar" area with standup tables at the lower SE corner closest to the Wolfe Island Ferry, but there should be multiple concessions serving beer. Expect huge lines and slow service if the prior Hip shows at Krock are any indication.
sean.bonner wrote:Also, met a guy at Bluesfest who saw my shirt and said 'Hey! I'm going to the Kingston show!'

He got face value during the general on sale. I asked him what his fav Hip tune was.

He said NOIS. While biting my lip, I said 'Oh cool. I love KillerWhaleTank!'

He had no idea what I was talking about.

I then had to go to the beer tent and slam two beers to calm down lol
Imagine living in Kingston and knowing several fairweather fans (or worse) who are going just to "be there." I can think of 8 tickets off the top of my head going to people I assume have never bothered to attend a prior hip show.

I still have faith I will find a single. If not, I will be drowning my sorrows with some expensive wine or scotch watching the CBC.
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Mr. Lahey »

I'm sure I'm not unlike anyone else on this forum without tickets for this show. I've been checking Ticketmaster, StubHub & Kijiji with no luck.

I will enter the ticket lottery and hope for the best as well as any day of/last minute ticketmaster releases.

Regardless of my luck on those fronts I'll be in Kingston on the 20th and will walk the streets for a 'reasonable offer' on scalped tickets. I've been committed to $1000 for a pair and will cap it there. We'll see if I need to get more desperate than that.
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

In the Kingston lottery as well, if they come my way they will be giveaways for 2 Basers.
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
tonyd
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by tonyd »

carebread wrote:Who's coming? Floor 2, row 5. So much money, but no regrets.

I'm already having The Feels.
i cant wait! we will be right in front of you!
tonyd
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by tonyd »

thebends wrote:In the Kingston lottery as well, if they come my way they will be giveaways for 2 Basers.
Ill do the same.
edgoffin
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by edgoffin »

Less than one week, six days that I want to go by quickly but slow down. Then Saturday night, two hours that I wish would spread to decades.
Lucky13
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Lucky13 »

I cant imagine how many people across Canada/US entered the Kingston Ticket Lottery without even considering they have to be in Kingston by 6:30 pm.
50% is my guess.
Mr. Lahey
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Mr. Lahey »

tonyd wrote:
thebends wrote:In the Kingston lottery as well, if they come my way they will be giveaways for 2 Basers.
Ill do the same.
I re-read the Hip.com website policy for the ticket lottery... It clearly states that tickets won through the lottery are not transferable to any person. That kiboshes the planned generosity above :(

http://www.thehip.com/mmp-ticket-lottery/
Scotty12
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by Scotty12 »

Mr. Lahey wrote:I re-read the Hip.com website policy for the ticket lottery... It clearly states that tickets won through the lottery are not transferable to any person. That kiboshes the planned generosity above :(

http://www.thehip.com/mmp-ticket-lottery/
If only scalpers had taken a moment to re-read the laws clearly stating scalping is illegal!

The limited ability/desire to enforce scalping laws is comparable to their ability to "kibosh" this generosity.

Worst case scenario the baser lottery winner walks in to their lottery seats and pulls the ol' switcheroo with the lucky baser recipient!
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

What do we figure the chances are of a ticket drop for this one?

And beyond that, are any of you derelicts planning on spending Friday night outside 1 The Tragically Hip Way?
Scotty12
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by Scotty12 »

NWOntario wrote:What do we figure the chances are of a ticket drop for this one?

And beyond that, are any of you derelicts planning on spending Friday night outside 1 The Tragically Hip Way?
Id assume far less chances for a ticket drop compared to other shows. Venue is much smaller, show is much bigger. Also the connected people arent going to pass on their chance to "be there" and the list has to be huge: cbc staffer excess will surely be in full effect, local govt owns the krock center, not to mention friends family of the band, etc.

I think I posted about the nightmare I had weeks ago that Trudeau makes a grand (photo OP) appearance. Could Trulander really pass up a nationally broadcast concert to show the nation/world what an "everyman" he is? Would you just look at him enjoying the Hip concert and smiling with his fellow Canadians! Dont forget its patriotic (aka free political advertising) if you share the moment on facebook and twitter with a comment about how cool and handsome he is!! :lol:

Of course, the scary part of my nightmare becoming reality is that it means his entire entourage/security team attends at the taxpayers double expense - not only are we paying (presumably overtime) for all of them to be at the concert, but they're reducing the supply of tickets for us. Is it possible to buy insurance against my nightmare coming true? Too late to turn religious and start praying?

I am considering lining up, but I live in Kingston so its hardly the "sacrifice" for me that it would be for others. The unfortunate part about this is how much of my friday/saturday it will waste. Time that I would have loved to soak up the atmosphere and connect with friends I have seen at many shows over the years.

Still distraught that these center floor tickets disappeared from my cart TWICE back in May, and some scum has probably scalped these. :nooooo I have seen two different ads for scalpers in this exact section/row... its only 14 seats wide and I know baser gillcash has 2 of those seats.
happened again.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

I feel as though people will have to camp out to have a shot at tickets; if there's a ticket drop (or an announced one, at least) it might crash the internet.

I also feel as though there'll be people camping out...I dunno, by Wednesday?
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Mr. Lahey wrote:
tonyd wrote:
Ill do the same.
I re-read the Hip.com website policy for the ticket lottery... It clearly states that tickets won through the lottery are not transferable to any person. That kiboshes the planned generosity above :(
Doesn't kibosh it. If we win the lottery then our previously purchased tix get to go to someone else.
At face value. I hate scalpers. But I do like the word kibosh.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana