2016-08-20 - Kingston, Ontario

emperor penguin
Wheat King
Wheat King

Re: 2016-08-20 - Kingston, Ontario

Post by emperor penguin »

Fabs1978 wrote:Incidentally, Banger Media (@BangerFilms) tweeted this today in response to tweets speculating about a Hip concert film: "@peetahc @thehipdotcom Speculate away! Full announcement to come."

Banger Media is a Canadian company behind some pretty popular rock docs, including Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage. So whatever we end up with should be pretty special.
Yes!! I mentioned in another thread that if a doc was to be made about the Hip I hope it would be done in a similar vein to Lighted Stage. That might be the best music doc I've ever seen. I'm biased though as a massive Rush fan.
dpontefract
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by dpontefract »

I'm an author and writer at Forbes, HuffPost, Psychology Today and HBR. I didn't post this review in any of those spots because they have advertising. The CBC special went ad-free, and so will my review. Thanks Hipbase for allowing me to lurk over the years. Many years. Much love. http://www.danpontefract.com/my-re-view ... -kingston/
redhill
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by redhill »

dpontefract wrote:I'm an author and writer at Forbes, HuffPost, Psychology Today and HBR. I didn't post this review in any of those spots because they have advertising. The CBC special went ad-free, and so will my review. Thanks Hipbase for allowing me to lurk over the years. Many years. Much love. http://www.danpontefract.com/my-re-view ... -kingston/
excellent.... good on ya
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

dpontefract wrote:I'm an author and writer at Forbes, HuffPost, Psychology Today and HBR. I didn't post this review in any of those spots because they have advertising. The CBC special went ad-free, and so will my review. Thanks Hipbase for allowing me to lurk over the years. Many years. Much love. http://www.danpontefract.com/my-re-view ... -kingston/
Thank you very much.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
CHunterK
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by CHunterK »

Just watched the CBC feed. Although they did a great job, it was a totally different experience watching it than being there.

1. The crowd was extremely loud, which was not picked up. The few minutes before they hit the stage was pure electric, it can't be put into words.
2. It was much more of a celebration than a sad emotional show.

Also i felt 99% of the people there were big Hip fan, not just the connected or somebody that got lucky with the ticket lottery. Everybody was sharing stories of road trips and encounters with the band. Everybody knew every word of every song.

It's rare when you wake up in the morning and realize that today is going to be one of the few days you'll never forget the rest of your life. Saturday was one of those days.

After 50+ Hip shows across 6 countries, there is no way I'd miss it.
carebread
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by carebread »

CHunterK wrote:Just watched the CBC feed. Although they did a great job, it was a totally different experience watching it than being there.

1. The crowd was extremely loud, which was not picked up. The few minutes before they hit the stage was pure electric, it can't be put into words.
2. It was much more of a celebration than a sad emotional show.

Also i felt 99% of the people there were big Hip fan, not just the connected or somebody that got lucky with the ticket lottery. Everybody was sharing stories of road trips and encounters with the band. Everybody knew every word of every song.

It's rare when you wake up in the morning and realize that today is going to be one of the few days you'll never forget the rest of your life. Saturday was one of those days.

After 50+ Hip shows across 6 countries, there is no way I'd miss it.
Are you saying the CBC broadcast was more emotional or the K-Rock? I did not feel like shedding a tear in the building, but am feeling the feels while viewing the replay.

I may also be broken, so there's that.
Across The Causeway '04 | Big Music Fest '08 | Kingston '09 | Bobcaygeon '11 | Cobourg '13 | Bluesfest '13 | Danforth Music Hall '15 | Kingston '15 | Bluesfest '15 | Toronto I '16 | Toronto II '16 | Toronto III '16 | Hamilton '16 | Ottawa '16 | Kingston '16
CHunterK
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by CHunterK »

the broadcast was much more emotional. while in the building i felt like it was a celebration and everybody around me was having a good time.
Escape@Hand
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Escape@Hand »

CHunterK wrote:the broadcast was much more emotional. while in the building i felt like it was a celebration and everybody around me was having a good time.
I totally agree; being in the building, it didn't seem overly emotional, at least to me. Maybe because I was side stage and I try my hardest to watch the stage, and not the screen, so I didn't get a lot of looks at Gord's facial expressions, but it didn't seem like "the end". Everyone was just their to enjoy a night full of their favourite music, and to show their appreciation to the band, and especially Gord, for all they've brought us. Just an incredible evening to be a part of. Everyone who watched it on tv said "this is clearly the end" but I didn't get that vibe that evening.
Green Mountain Bot
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Green Mountain Bot »

I definitely agree that the crowd was unbelievable - the best by FAR of any show of any sort I've been to - and that the feel of the building was extremely celebratory. To be a part of, to have membership in such a moment is an experience that you can't put a price on. I would say that there were moments that were pretty ... dusty. My wife was bawling during scared, for example.
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

Clearly, none of you were sitting by me. I got teary before the show even started as I watched Billy Ray and everything sort of set in.

I cried during Wheat Kings, I cried during Fiddlers.

Then, I cried through the whole second encore. Kudos to the guy beside me who gave me a supportive pat on the back during Scared. :oops:

Don't get me wrong, I smiled, cheered, clapped and celebrated a lot all night too. But the reality of this show hit me really hard.
clarke
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by clarke »

Loved that Billy Ray had a "In Gord We Trust" shirt on.
jlittlebones
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by jlittlebones »

Final show set list!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thedarkcanuck
Completist
Completist

Post by thedarkcanuck »

jlittlebones wrote:Final show set list!
nice!
7/17/95-Craven
11/18/96-Saskatoon
7/21/97-Saskatoon
9/16/00-Winnipeg
11/24/00-Red Deer
07/14/02-Camrose
9/26/02-Edmonton
9/27/02-Edmonton
8/1/03-Kelowna
6/22/04-Edmonton
11/17/04-Edmonton
11/20/04-Saskatoon
10/28/06-Calgary
1/19/07-Regina
7/18/07-Saskatoon
6/22/08-Calgary
8/4/09-Saskatoon
9/14/09-Edmonton
9/19/09-Banff
7/14/11-Edmonton
1/23/13-Edmonton
7/6/13-Saskatoon
10/10/15-Houston
7/28/16-Edmonton
7/30/16-Edmonton
8/01/16-Calgary
Green Mountain Bot
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Green Mountain Bot »

Green Mountain Bot wrote: I got some pretty good footage of the first encore that I will be posting to YouTube once I get back to Minnesota. I'll put a link in this thread for y'all.
As promised ... Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gArvuNLmwsQ
FighterAndLover
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by FighterAndLover »

Is anyone else surprised/troubled 'Springtime in Vienna' didn't make the setlist?