2016-08-20 - Kingston, Ontario

edgoffin
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Re: 2016-08-20 - Kingston, Ontario

Post by edgoffin »

Lucky enough to be in the building -- before tickets went on sale, my wife and I agreed we're going no matter what (at least I think we agreed). I get some grief from friends on how many Hip shows I've seen, especially in the past few years. I'd always say "one of these will be the last, and I don't want to miss it." Joke became a harsh reality.

Kingston itself was electric. We got to town around 2 pm and it was buzzing. Lots of people trading stories everywhere we stopped. Great job by the city, most places would have screwed it up. Some funny rumours too, like Mike Jagger was there and Justin Bieber (which made me fear they had Justins confused and think Biebs is the PM).

We went into the rink early, had credit card entry tickets and was really leery about that process. Again, in line for beer had great conversations about past shows, missed shows, these shows. What struck me was the people in the rink -- these were fans. I was not sure if it was going to be a lot of connected people, politicians and all that. It was real fans, people who had seen the band many times, appreciated we were in the building, and maybe felt a bit guilty for being in the building.

The emotion of the day building into the arena I can't even begin the describe. The Ottawa show felt a lot sadder for me, more of a goodbye. Not sure why. I also though they looked very road weary on Thursday. That seemed to be gone on Saturday, way more like a celebration.

As the band hit Grace, Too I really stopped to take it all in. I was lucky enough to catch on to the band in the EP days. They're been there since I was 15, 16 years old. Too many road trips to count. Take in the band, take in the crowd, joy and incredible sadness. A monumental mic drop....then god damn, they come back out and it was nothing but celebration.

Bleary eyes all around, and then hitting the wave of the crowd leaving the market square. That really brought perspective for big this celebration really was. I'll never be part of something like that ever again.
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

edgoffin wrote:The emotion of the day building into the arena I can't even begin the describe. The Ottawa show felt a lot sadder for me, more of a goodbye. Not sure why. I also though they looked very road weary on Thursday. That seemed to be gone on Saturday, way more like a celebration.
This, this, this. I feel as though people who watched on TV (or internet or whatever) got a heavy dose of sadness (see, for instance, montages of crying fans). But the show itself felt like a homecoming parade for the conquering local heroes. I think the mood inside the arena was epitomized by Mrs. Baker, who was sitting a couple rows in front of me (I used to live around the corner from them). She spent the whole show smiling and singing and dancing and hugging people and that, in my mind, encapsulated the entire vibe. Yeah, there were tears, but to me they were overwhelmed by the love and gratitude that was hanging from every corner of the room.
Fabs1978
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Fabs1978 »

Nothing I ever write or say will fully encapsulate what it felt and meant to be inside that building. I know it'll be something I remember forever, and something that will conjure up different memories every time I think about it. For now, a few thoughts:

• So hot in there. My god. It was the kind of heat that crept up on you and then kicked your ass. I was soaked through my shirt by the first encore.
• I’m not terribly into patriotism, and while I like Trudeau enough I’m not as sold on him as others are. But the crowd spontaneously breaking into O Canada before the show, standing en masse and facing Trudeau’s suite was a pretty spectacular thing to witness.
• When they broke the setlist format to play Grace, Too, and then came out for a third encore, it started to feel like they were going to play forever. That really felt like Gord raging against the dying of the light.
• "Have a nice life." Killed me. That’s when the tears welled up.
• The show definitely had a finality to it. Again, they’ve never actually said they’re done, but the song choices toward the end, the extra encore, Gord’s words and the band standing together at the end of the show… they did everything they could to let us know they’re probably done.
• When Gord spoke toward the end of the show, the crowd fell silent. You could have literally heard a pin drop. I’ve never seen anything like that in an arena rock show before. It was chilling.
• Like others have said, it was a celebration more than anything. It felt more like a party than a wake inside the venue. It was really only when I got home and finally got to watch on CBC that I got emotional. Watching it from a different perspective got me. But I think it was also the fact that, while CBC did a great job with the production, the energy of the crowd was missing. We can watch the footage any time we want. But the energy inside the building is just a memory now.
• My daughter is only three, and I'm probably never going to realize my dream of taking her to a Hip show. But I found out after the show that she stayed up and watched all night long at home with my wife. And she enjoyed it. She spent the whole show dancing, shaking a toy, and looking at the crowd saying "I want to find daddy!"
ewallman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by ewallman »

My daughter is only three, and I'm probably never going to realize my dream of taking her to a Hip show. But I found out after the show that she stayed up and watched all night long at home with my wife. And she enjoyed it. She spent the whole show dancing, shaking a toy, and looking at the crowd saying "I want to find daddy!

Great story, now you do have a HIP connection with your daughter. I was lucky enough to go to (we think) 8 shows with my daughter including this last one in Winnipeg..love the connection between us and the Band.

I have had quite a few non-HIp tell me that they watched the show and how great it was. Saddens me on some level that only now so many more people realize that this truly was THE "Fucking band you gotta see". And I course I had to mention that "you should have seen Gordie at 100%". Anyway, GREAT response from all Canadians!!
A Hip set list is like a box of chocolates..you never know which one you're going to get.
Fabs1978
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Fabs1978 »

ewallman wrote:My daughter is only three, and I'm probably never going to realize my dream of taking her to a Hip show. But I found out after the show that she stayed up and watched all night long at home with my wife. And she enjoyed it. She spent the whole show dancing, shaking a toy, and looking at the crowd saying "I want to find daddy!

Great story, now you do have a HIP connection with your daughter. I was lucky enough to go to (we think) 8 shows with my daughter including this last one in Winnipeg..love the connection between us and the Band.
Thanks for this. You're right - we will always have a Hip story. That makes me smile.
ewallman wrote:I have had quite a few non-HIp tell me that they watched the show and how great it was. Saddens me on some level that only now so many more people realize that this truly was THE "Fucking band you gotta see". And I course I had to mention that "you should have seen Gordie at 100%". Anyway, GREAT response from all Canadians!!
Agreed. My wife had never been to a Hip show before we saw them in Massey Hall in 2009. Unfortunately, we hadn't had the opportunity to go to another, before finally seeing them together in Toronto last week. She texted me during the Kingston show and said "How come it took me so long to figure out I was a huge Hip fan?"
mark
Completist
Completist

Post by mark »

At the start of the cbc broadcast, Gord kissed a blonde hair woman. I assume that's his wife? And the brunette was his daughter? I've never seen either one of them before.
gillcash
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by gillcash »

Others have said it better, so this will be short. I feel very fortunate to have been in the arena and knowing I will have that memory for the rest of my life. Quite simply, it was perfect - great setlist, encores, crazy fans, couple cold beers, and pretty sweet seats. That was my 50ish show and no doubt the best one.

Grace, Too, Machine and Lake Fever were my favourites for the night.

To all the great people I met over the weekend, thanks.

Finally, fantastic job Kingston.
carebread
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by carebread »

Yeah, way too tired to write tonight. I'm pretty sure Gord stared at me for a couple seconds during Putting Down, I just stared and screamed the lyrics at the top of my lungs. That sounds creepier than how it actually went down.

On the other hand, I've been spamming Instagram with photos and will continue to: https://www.instagram.com/700ftceiling/
Across The Causeway '04 | Big Music Fest '08 | Kingston '09 | Bobcaygeon '11 | Cobourg '13 | Bluesfest '13 | Danforth Music Hall '15 | Kingston '15 | Bluesfest '15 | Toronto I '16 | Toronto II '16 | Toronto III '16 | Hamilton '16 | Ottawa '16 | Kingston '16
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
carebread
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by carebread »

Tthip wrote:
image.png
I noticed that and excitedly pointed out the name.

Response: "well, duh." :(
Across The Causeway '04 | Big Music Fest '08 | Kingston '09 | Bobcaygeon '11 | Cobourg '13 | Bluesfest '13 | Danforth Music Hall '15 | Kingston '15 | Bluesfest '15 | Toronto I '16 | Toronto II '16 | Toronto III '16 | Hamilton '16 | Ottawa '16 | Kingston '16
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

Is 30 songs the longest setlist ever?
I am pretty sure the 'Evening With' were mostly 29
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

Tthip wrote:Is 30 songs the longest setlist ever?
I am pretty sure the 'Evening With' were mostly 29
I got 31 songs at the December 23, 2000 'Evening With' show. Amazing that Kingston came so close, under the circumstances.
Fabs1978
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Fabs1978 »

Tthip wrote:
image.png
This sign's been up at all the shows. I think it's safe to assume that this footage, and the show itself which CBC has said it won't replay, will be packaged up into some sort of spectacular retrospective of the whole tour and final show. Can't wait.
Fabs1978
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Fabs1978 »

Incidentally, Banger Media (@BangerFilms) tweeted this today in response to tweets speculating about a Hip concert film: "@peetahc @thehipdotcom Speculate away! Full announcement to come."

Banger Media is a Canadian company behind some pretty popular rock docs, including Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage. So whatever we end up with should be pretty special.
schaggs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by schaggs »

Fabs1978 wrote:
Tthip wrote:
image.png
This sign's been up at all the shows. I think it's safe to assume that this footage, and the show itself which CBC has said it won't replay, will be packaged up into some sort of spectacular retrospective of the whole tour and final show. Can't wait.
I didn't see it in Ottawa... still excited though
1995-02-10 Toronto; 1996-12-12 Toronto; 1998-07-04 Hamilton; 1999-02-22 Toronto; 2000-06-24 Toronto; 2000-12-06 Ottawa; 2002-08-02 Toronto; 2004-10-23 Ottawa; 2007-01-31 Oshawa; 2007-02-02 Ottawa; 2011-07-01 Toronto; 2012-02-09 Oshawa; 2015-02-19 Toronto; 2015-04-15 Oshawa; 2016-08-18 Ottawa