2016-08-18 - Ottawa Ontario

edgoffin
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Re: 2016-08-18 - Ottawa Ontario

Post by edgoffin »

Impression of the crowd depends on the crowd around you. In my area on the floor, crowd was into it with few exceptions. I did look into the crowd and saw a few in pretty prime 100 level seats who seemed more interested in selfies and their phone. But they were the outliers. Ottawa crowds can be so dull, not sure what it is, but I had no issues with the audience. I did find it cool how quiet it got to hear Gord's goodbye -- 20,000 people and it was pretty much silent.

We, as in the ones of the board, also have a slightly skewed impression of what a fan should be doing at a show. As I was leaving heard a girl having a great fight with her significant other, that centered on "but you don't know how much this band means to me." Guessing he was trying to figure out her emotional reaction, and obviously she should have dumped him right away. I welled up a few times, and around us there were lots of red eyes. I left the show with a whole garbage bag of emotions. Others in the parking lot were jumping around and singing Poets.

It was also Canadian musician night at the show -- many recognizable faces in the crowd.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

edgoffin wrote:Impression of the crowd depends on the crowd around you. In my area on the floor, crowd was into it with few exceptions. I did look into the crowd and saw a few in pretty prime 100 level seats who seemed more interested in selfies and their phone. But they were the outliers. Ottawa crowds can be so dull, not sure what it is, but I had no issues with the audience. I did find it cool how quiet it got to hear Gord's goodbye -- 20,000 people and it was pretty much silent.

We, as in the ones of the board, also have a slightly skewed impression of what a fan should be doing at a show. As I was leaving heard a girl having a great fight with her significant other, that centered on "but you don't know how much this band means to me." Guessing he was trying to figure out her emotional reaction, and obviously she should have dumped him right away. I welled up a few times, and around us there were lots of red eyes. I left the show with a whole garbage bag of emotions. Others in the parking lot were jumping around and singing Poets.

It was also Canadian musician night at the show -- many recognizable faces in the crowd.
The Trailer Park Boys were there, and I also got to meet Sammy Rob Rob and his band!
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
mark
Completist
Completist

Post by mark »

Naga wrote:Well that was an experience.

Great seats, but terrible crowd. The guy behind me asked me to sit down, the couple beside me were bored. They didn't know any of the deeper cuts like Bobcaygeon and New Orleans Is Sinking.
how do you NOT know NOIS? and i wouldn't exactly call that a deep cut.
bobfrombob
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by bobfrombob »

mark wrote:
Naga wrote:Well that was an experience.

Great seats, but terrible crowd. The guy behind me asked me to sit down, the couple beside me were bored. They didn't know any of the deeper cuts like Bobcaygeon and New Orleans Is Sinking.
how do you NOT know NOIS? and i wouldn't exactly call that a deep cut.
I read that as a joke.
ShannonW
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ShannonW »

This was my only show on the tour, and I have been too busy to keep up with anything really surrounding the tour. That said, lots of pleasant surprises for me, like Opiated, and the entire IBE section, and GREASY JUNGLE! I agree Ottawa crowds can suck, but from where I was in the boonies, the crowd was an amazing roar, and almost the entire stadium was on its feet. I actually enjoyed the bad seats because the crowd's enthusiasm added extra emotion for me! This one will forever stand out in my memory. It was a combination of joyous, celebratory, and heart breaking. It was amazing. I'm so glad I was there!

View from the boonies. As you can see, we were way up there.
https://goo.gl/photos/CMiGybQZkmh3fqpY7
chagrinfalls
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by chagrinfalls »

That's the greatest Hip show I've ever been to. I got to see them in so many extraordinary circumstances, but when a man throws his own wake, you show up. & I have to say, beyond the band itself, that's what I came home thinking about, was how much the crowd showed up. Ottawa is a government town, & Ottawans are notoriously careful about...everything lol. People don't give too much away, don't step outside the lines here, don't reveal how they really feel. Last night, for Ottawa, was the equivalent of an orgy in the aisles lol. Maybe it was just my section, but I was struck again by how amazing Hip fans are. Every concert, now that I think of it, leaves me with that feeling of being taken care of, somehow, & this was no different. Like even though I go there alone, I end up part of this insanely connected communal event.

The strangers on either side of me shared their loaves & fishes, laughed & cheered & passed their joints to the strangers 4 seats over, we shared high-fives & fist-bumps & grinned like idiots & cheered until our vocal cords gave out. & cried. & there stood Gord, losing parts of himself every day & still making the effort to make losing him easier for the people around him. So I started crying, actually had to sit down, & the stranger next to me put his hand on my shoulder & said "Are you alright?". When Gord says "Take care of eachother" as his way of saying goodbye, I think it's because he knows his audience. It's like he's saying "Don't forget who you are."

I went on info blackout about the tour, so it would all be a surprise for me (except Gord's outfits lol). At one point, I thought I was hearing the intro of Greasy Jungle, & I thought 'that's not possible', so I turned to the stranger on my other side & said “I'm going crazy--is this actually Greasy...” & he looked me in the eye & smiled & reverently mouthed the word. "Jungle". When the band plays favourites you don't expect, it's like they email your friends to ask you what you really want for your birthday. Surprise! Greasy Jungle!

Though, musically the highlight for me was probably Flamenco. Just so unexpected & beautifully delivered, & it was hard not to think maybe Gord discovered what all his fans know, which is that Gord Downie writes words you can lean on when you need to:

Walk like a matador, don't be chicken shit
And turn breezes into rivulets
Flamenco sweep the air and weave the sun
And stamp your feet for everyone

The hardest moment of the show was the one I looked forward to the most: Grace Too. For me the hidden heart of that song is the part where Gord takes off & goes a little...extemporaneous, with only “him. here. now. no” to keep him tethered to the earth. The tangents in Grace Too have always felt like a glimpse into Gord's head& heart, his advice for survivors maybe, or his warnings for the faint of heart. A look at where he's headed, even sometimes, like he's trying out new ideas or images. Well, when that moment of the song arrived....he left the stage. Where the heart of the song usually stood, there was an empty mic. Here aboard the Titanic, we all know what happened next: The Band Played On. But the silence, the absence in the song where Gord's voice usually was, was deafening. My heart cracked a bit. I can't imagine how the guys felt playing it without Gord there. It was an unexpected & painful vision of the future.

Moments like that made it all the more amazing to me that the night in general was this overwhelming, joyful celebration. The band creates that--It's hard to respond any other way to their incredible music & generosity. Normally it bothers me when all you can hear is the crowd singing, but not last night, when sometimes lol all you could hear was the crowd singing. It was a monumental sing-a-long, as if thru sheer power we could buoy Gord up if he faltered. To me, it seemed like the crowd made such an effort to communicate their love & thanks to the band. & vice versa, which just made for an unforgettable evening.

& then a lovely moment at the end, where Rob hugged Gord as the band left him on the stage. Rob kissed him, maybe full on the lips, just such an unguarded, intimate brotherly gesture. By the end of the night, I thought Gord looked demolished. Smiling & demolished. I felt the same way, to my everlasting joy.

Now I'm going to tell you something crazy, for anyone who's actually reading this whole post. I woke up this morning, put flamenco on repeat, & had it playing in the background when I thought I'd check my email after 1 pm, just for kicks. . . Je.sus. That cannot be real. “Congratulations, you've won the Man Machine Poem Tour ticket lottery...” So yeah, turns out it's real. It's like the show last night hasn't actually stopped, & I'm now just in the middle of the second half of the evening.
gillcash
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by gillcash »

Show
Seats were third row lower bowl at about the opposite blue line that the stage was at. Pretty good seats but had to watch the video screens most of the time. The highlight of the show for me was Gus but there was definately a lull in the crowd during the MMP/IBE sets. I love Machine live! Grace, Too is my all time favourite live track, so happy with that. Crowd seemed pretty good, couple times really really loud. A few people sitting for a couple of songs but no big deal to me. I can't remember which song (Wheat Kings maybe), but when everyone held up their phones and lighters the stadium looked incredible. First lump in the throat came during Ahead by a Century, which I don't really like much, but when everyone is singing it's cool. Second lump in throat just popped up randomly near the end of the first encore - can't explain why, just happened and I had to get it together.

Before and After
Ended up driving and the traffic was okay. Lines for merchandise booths outside were insane so we skipped that. We got there at 7:15 and got in no problem, although I did see the huge line up for will call. I've seen a number of comments from people that they missed the opening songs because of will call. Lines for beer, food, washroom was not a problem where we were. After the show we hit the merchandise tent and waited about 10 minutes for my wife to get a t-shirt. She wanted a poster as well but they had run out.

Randomness
Saw Jim Bryson.

My friend paid $100 for a scalped ticket, which was literally five seats away from me. Face value for mine was $160. We actually talked to the person who sold the ticket to the scalper as she was sitting beside us. I guess they had a last minute cancellation and sold it to the scalper for $30. I didn't get the whole story so not sure why they sold it so cheap to a scalper.

Just by total fluke met Stephen Dame (Hip Museum) at the pub before the show. Had not met him before. We have a mutual friend who was at the pub so ended up sitting together for a bit. Very cool swapping stories and he's a pretty good guy. Great way to start the night.

Next up is Kingston and I am fortunate enough to be in the building. Hopefully my ears stop ringing by then :)
Gangrel
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Gangrel »

I'm not into celebrities, TMZ, hero worshiping, or ohmygodit'sthebeatles! but going to the concert last night was like going to see my mother on her deathbed in the hospital. I know, way too dramatic for someone I don't really know, but for someone who has provided the soundtrack for my life ever since my step father plopped a black cassette tape in front of my in 1990 with that name in yellow, The Tragically Hip.

I'm not usually at a loss for words, but I am now. I feel weird. Again, I have no idea why, other than my all time favourite band probably performed in front of me for the very last time, despite their never actually being a "final tour" announcement from them. But, I think we all know. Gord knows. He was not the same man I have seen rip across stages over the years, fighting mike stands, riding them like horses and cars, pantomiming a play inside his head that only he knows and we are his audience. I'm guessing it's a combination of fatigue, emotion, and probably even whatever medications he's on, but he felt very restrained to me. But he still had his voice. As many others have said, it's the best singing I've heard from him in years, despite the flubbed lines, forgotten phrases, and the fact that as someone else posted, all the flourishes are gone. Robbed by energy, robbed by memory, who knows.

I felt like we got 75% of Gord. And that's not fair. Not fair of me to judge like that. I realized that partway through the show, that I should not feel sorry for the man, but enjoy what may be the last "conversation" I have with the band, and the man, in a communal setting. The band was on fire though, maybe to make up for the missing 25%, they tacked it onto their engines and ran with it. Wow. They rocked. The stadium rocked, in my opinion. For once, in Ottawa, everyone was standing! Hurrah! It's a fucking rock show! Everybody up!

I was hoping we'd get the IVL set, as that's become one of my favorite albums, or even WATS. But I got DFN, and more importantly, I got my all time favorite song, Grace Too in an incendiary version with a long jammy outro so Gord could leave the stage. I can't complain. This wasn't a night to nitpick about this song or that song. It was a mix of the favs, and some gems for us hardcore goofs who complain about NOIS for the umpteenth time.

I'm rambling. I'll end this. I didn't cry at the show. I should have. I felt like it. My tear tank is still empty from that February 2011 i spent in the hospital watching someone I love slip away. In a different way, this felt the same way. I hope you go on and live more years Gord, not for us, not for me, but for you, your kids, and your wife and family. You deserve it.

Thank you. Thank you for being MY friend for 26 years. For getting me through junior high and high school, for letting me be the "Hip guy" as the "grand discoverer of the Hip" at school, for looking like you when I was much skinnier and younger....... thank you for helping me through break ups, make ups, freak outs, and a depressions suite of my own in early university.

You were my one true first musical love, not a lie. I may move on to take up with another, but god damn it Gord, they won't be you.
Chris Tanz
Completist
Completist

Post by Chris Tanz »

chagrinfalls wrote:That's the greatest Hip show I've ever been to. I got to see them in so many extraordinary circumstances, but when a man throws his own wake, you show up. & I have to say, beyond the band itself, that's what I came home thinking about, was how much the crowd showed up. Ottawa is a government town, & Ottawans are notoriously careful about...everything lol. People don't give too much away, don't step outside the lines here, don't reveal how they really feel. Last night, for Ottawa, was the equivalent of an orgy in the aisles lol. Maybe it was just my section, but I was struck again by how amazing Hip fans are. Every concert, now that I think of it, leaves me with that feeling of being taken care of, somehow, & this was no different. Like even though I go there alone, I end up part of this insanely connected communal event.

The strangers on either side of me shared their loaves & fishes, laughed & cheered & passed their joints to the strangers 4 seats over, we shared high-fives & fist-bumps & grinned like idiots & cheered until our vocal cords gave out. & cried. & there stood Gord, losing parts of himself every day & still making the effort to make losing him easier for the people around him. So I started crying, actually had to sit down, & the stranger next to me put his hand on my shoulder & said "Are you alright?". When Gord says "Take care of eachother" as his way of saying goodbye, I think it's because he knows his audience. It's like he's saying "Don't forget who you are."

I went on info blackout about the tour, so it would all be a surprise for me (except Gord's outfits lol). At one point, I thought I was hearing the intro of Greasy Jungle, & I thought 'that's not possible', so I turned to the stranger on my other side & said “I'm going crazy--is this actually Greasy...” & he looked me in the eye & smiled & reverently mouthed the word. "Jungle". When the band plays favourites you don't expect, it's like they email your friends to ask you what you really want for your birthday. Surprise! Greasy Jungle!

Though, musically the highlight for me was probably Flamenco. Just so unexpected & beautifully delivered, & it was hard not to think maybe Gord discovered what all his fans know, which is that Gord Downie writes words you can lean on when you need to:

The hardest moment of the show was the one I looked forward to the most: Grace Too. For me the hidden heart of that song is the part where Gord takes off & goes a little...extemporaneous, with only “him. here. now. no” to keep him tethered to the earth. The tangents in Grace Too have always felt like a glimpse into Gord's head& heart, his advice for survivors maybe, or his warnings for the faint of heart. A look at where he's headed, even sometimes, like he's trying out new ideas or images. Well, when that moment of the song arrived....he left the stage. Where the heart of the song usually stood, there was an empty mic. Here aboard the Titanic, we all know what happened next: The Band Played On. But the silence, the absence in the song where Gord's voice usually was, was deafening. My heart cracked a bit. I can't imagine how the guys felt playing it without Gord there. It was an unexpected & painful vision of the future.

Moments like that made it all the more amazing to me that the night in general was this overwhelming, joyful celebration. The band creates that--It's hard to respond any other way to their incredible music & generosity. Normally it bothers me when all you can hear is the crowd singing, but not last night, when sometimes lol all you could hear was the crowd singing. It was a monumental sing-a-long, as if thru sheer power we could buoy Gord up if he faltered. To me, it seemed like the crowd made such an effort to communicate their love & thanks to the band. & vice versa, which just made for an unforgettable evening.

& then a lovely moment at the end, where Rob hugged Gord as the band left him on the stage. Rob kissed him, maybe full on the lips, just such an unguarded, intimate brotherly gesture. By the end of the night, I thought Gord looked demolished. Smiling & demolished. I felt the same way, to my everlasting joy.

Now I'm going to tell you something crazy, for anyone who's actually reading this whole post. I woke up this morning, put flamenco on repeat, & had it playing in the background when I thought I'd check my email after 1 pm, just for kicks. . . Je.sus. That cannot be real. “Congratulations, you've won the Man Machine Poem Tour ticket lottery...” So yeah, turns out it's real. It's like the show last night hasn't actually stopped, & I'm now just in the middle of the second half of the evening.
Fan-effin-tastic. Right to the end. Enjoy it and use it all up.
CW2112
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by CW2112 »

Holy shit you guys (and gals) write some great reviews. This entire page was pure gold. Cheers to you all and thanks for sharing.
edgoffin
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by edgoffin »

chagrinfalls wrote: Though, musically the highlight for me was probably Flamenco.

The hardest moment of the show was the one I looked forward to the most: Grace Too.
Awesome summary. Flamenco is way down my list of top songs, but it was stellar last night. And Gord gone and the band playing on really hit me as well. I watched some other shows and that extended music section always seemed more of an intro, like Gems. Extending Grace like that was different then shows I periscoped, and I had to reach for the Kleenex.

Congrats on the lottery.
thedarkcanuck
Completist
Completist

Post by thedarkcanuck »

chagrinfalls wrote:That's the greatest Hip show I've ever been to. I got to see them in so many extraordinary circumstances, but when a man throws his own wake, you show up. & I have to say, beyond the band itself, that's what I came home thinking about, was how much the crowd showed up. Ottawa is a government town, & Ottawans are notoriously careful about...everything lol. People don't give too much away, don't step outside the lines here, don't reveal how they really feel. Last night, for Ottawa, was the equivalent of an orgy in the aisles lol. Maybe it was just my section, but I was struck again by how amazing Hip fans are. Every concert, now that I think of it, leaves me with that feeling of being taken care of, somehow, & this was no different. Like even though I go there alone, I end up part of this insanely connected communal event.

i read it right to the end....congrats dude!
7/17/95-Craven
11/18/96-Saskatoon
7/21/97-Saskatoon
9/16/00-Winnipeg
11/24/00-Red Deer
07/14/02-Camrose
9/26/02-Edmonton
9/27/02-Edmonton
8/1/03-Kelowna
6/22/04-Edmonton
11/17/04-Edmonton
11/20/04-Saskatoon
10/28/06-Calgary
1/19/07-Regina
7/18/07-Saskatoon
6/22/08-Calgary
8/4/09-Saskatoon
9/14/09-Edmonton
9/19/09-Banff
7/14/11-Edmonton
1/23/13-Edmonton
7/6/13-Saskatoon
10/10/15-Houston
7/28/16-Edmonton
7/30/16-Edmonton
8/01/16-Calgary
Torontonian69
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Torontonian69 »

No crowd on this tour will come close to touching The Hammer.
patiodweller
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by patiodweller »

1. It's bizarre to see so much crowd hating here. I've seen the HIP 36 times and that crowd was fucking LOUD! Say Hamilton was louder if you want, but to say the crowd was lame is stupid! I didn't see anybody sitting down the whole time. Loudest the venue has been since Game 3 of the Cup final in 2007.

2. Gordie sounded solid

3. Shame on the CTC. The line up chaos for tickets at the will-call was an epic shit show. And there was no AC. There's no excuse for that. You're an NHL arena with AC and you are cutting corners by not turning it on?

4. The Brookstreet Hotel partying before and after the show was off the charts. The hotel was one big party. Their shuttle was a shit show though.

5. Grace Too was the highlight of the night.

6. I felt my tears hit my feet during Nautical, there was something about it, the Ottawa crowd was aligned with emotion for that one.

7. Loved the set list. The IBE songs were phenomenal. The only set list I like better was the Kingston one because it had a triple encore.
Lerxst1991
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Lerxst1991 »

Sometimes it's the breaks, I was in 104 about10 rows up, everyone nearby was standing the entire show and extremely enthusiastic.

If we got the Kingston setlist, I would have been a little bummed, but before they added the 4 extra tunes!

Gus, Summer, Nashville, NO Beat, were rarities this tour and to this lucky long time American fan, thrilled to get those. Also Flamenco, and Springtime, for me, excellent tunes, among their best, that many crowds did not get this tour.

Boots was the perfect opener. Sorry to hear so many barely caught it with the delays entering. A thousand miles and passing thru a thousand islands, no way I was risking that, although the challenges of crossing the border among others would not deny this opportunity to see one of my favorite bands in their home country (finally!) with such a loyal and passionate fan base. Thanks CA for memories I'll never forget!
carebread wrote:Just got back to Kingston.

Crowd f*cking sucked. I was one of about seven in my section to stand up. And i think the couple behind me stood up because I was front row and was not sitting down. Completely took me out of the moment. The boys going from Hamilton, where I've never heard such a loud, sustained momentum, to this. They only picked up about 16 songs into the set and were still dead for Bobcaygeon.

Ugh. I'm still angry. And just got back from walking the block around K-Rock, so also sad.
5-1-99 Huntington, NY
7-1-00 Central Park NYC
8-3-00 Wantagh, NY
10-6-00 Town Hall NYC
7-27-02 Irving Plaza NYC
7-28-02 Irving Plaza NYC
9-22-04 Webster Hall NYC
4-24-07 Irving Plaza NYC
10-23-07 Manhattan Center NYC
8-18-16 CTC Ottawa, ON