2016-08-18 - Ottawa Ontario

Green Mountain Bot
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Re: 2016-08-18 - Ottawa Ontario

Post by Green Mountain Bot »

posthead wrote:
Green Mountain Bot wrote:So, it seems Calgary and Ottawa have shitty Internet.
Or attendees with less than great phones/carriers. :D
Good point. I suppose I shouldn't complain anyway, given that I'll be in the building on Saturday, albeit at the lonely end of the rink.
posthead
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by posthead »

Green Mountain Bot wrote:
posthead wrote:
Green Mountain Bot wrote:So, it seems Calgary and Ottawa have shitty Internet.
Or attendees with less than great phones/carriers. :D
Good point. I suppose I shouldn't complain anyway, given that I'll be in the building on Saturday, albeit at the lonely end of the rink.

Some might say that if you have tickets for Kingston, you aren't allowed to complain about anything ever again.

But if I was you, I'd still find something to complain about, so whatever.

"A whole tour without Butts Wigglin? It's a travesty, I say."

;-)
Moosehead
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Moosehead »

Delays getting in but not too many empty seats when it started. Maybe 10% ? Lots of people probably skipped the beverage lines.

Also it was very hot and humid in there which might also explain the crowd seeming quieter. Although it's kind of an Ottawa thing sometimes.

edit: Also see https://www.reddit.com/r/ottawa/comment ... dian_tire/ for complaints about lines and heat
Last edited by Moosehead on Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
edgoffin
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by edgoffin »

Back from the show. A few random thoughts:

First, I have grown to hate that building. It's like they go out of their way to piss off clientele. Knowing the gong show, we went in around 7. People in front of us got to their seats about song 5 stuck in the security line. Some of that on people arriving late, but should not be a surprise people are coming and maybe speed up the entry.

The band sounds great. I had watched some periscopes, but seeing It live was a different experience. Gord sounds amazing - version of Flamenco was off the charts excellent, if there is a live release hope it makes the cut.

Oceans Next, which I like on the album, is a stunner live.

Cool to hear to hear Gus, actually the whole entire IBE section. My least favourite album, but they hit all the right tracks.

In the building it was great atmosphere, at least where I was on the floor 19 rows back. Some butts in seats when I looked around at one time, but for the most part a pretty good crowd. Gave a lot of emotion back to Gord.

Gord had a great "goodbye" that was both funny and heartfelt. I'm sure it's out the on social media, I won't try and paraphrase but it was worth some tears and laughter.

When the show started I felt the feelies welling up hard, but kept it together and just enjoyed the show and the joy Gord and the boys have on stage. The part that really got me was Gord leaving after Grace and them jamming out. It wasn't like some big dramatic movie moment, but It really hit me when they were without him onstage.

I will say they look tired. Maybe there looking for things, but they look like a band that's been on the road for a year straight. Maybe minus Gord Sinclair, who has looked the same for about 20 years. No way did it impact their performance, but looks like this has been pretty tough. Gord is really relying on the teleprompters at times. Then again, FC shows I saw he was as well. Could just be a security thing. He definitely leaves it all out on stage.

Finally, I've never felt emotion like that at a concert - from the crowd and then reflected back from the stage. The way the band has gone about this tour - and after seeing tonight I'll say goodbye - is unparalleled.
Last edited by edgoffin on Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
SRK
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by SRK »

It was pretty special, in the end. Pretty goddamn special. Watching the interaction between the boys, I cannot fathom a scenario where this isn't it. Heartwrenching at times, but still...."Gord, Paul, Robby, Johnny. My 35 year friends. And friends we will be....forever."
carebread
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by carebread »

Just got back to Kingston.

Crowd fucking sucked. I was one of about seven in my section to stand up. And i think the couple behind me stood up because I was front row and was not sitting down. Completely took me out of the moment. The boys going from Hamilton, where I've never heard such a loud, sustained momentum, to this. They only picked up about 16 songs into the set and were still dead for Bobcaygeon.

Ugh. I'm still angry. And just got back from walking the block around K-Rock, so also sad.
Across The Causeway '04 | Big Music Fest '08 | Kingston '09 | Bobcaygeon '11 | Cobourg '13 | Bluesfest '13 | Danforth Music Hall '15 | Kingston '15 | Bluesfest '15 | Toronto I '16 | Toronto II '16 | Toronto III '16 | Hamilton '16 | Ottawa '16 | Kingston '16
blacksox12
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by blacksox12 »

I'm going to disagree. Thought the crowd was really good last night. More importantly the band was even better. It was a bit of a gong show getting in - happy I had tickets already in hand and got there early. It was great to see more than 21k attending - even standing room behind the stage was near full. The set list was great - really enjoyed the mix. I had a great time seeing this band one more time. Hope there are a few more opps down the road...
carebread wrote:Just got back to Kingston.

Crowd fucking sucked. I was one of about seven in my section to stand up. And i think the couple behind me stood up because I was front row and was not sitting down. Completely took me out of the moment. The boys going from Hamilton, where I've never heard such a loud, sustained momentum, to this. They only picked up about 16 songs into the set and were still dead for Bobcaygeon.

Ugh. I'm still angry. And just got back from walking the block around K-Rock, so also sad.
Feb 13, 1995 Sudbury, ON | Jul 21, 1995, Montreal, PQ | Mar 02, 1999, Regina, SK | Dec 07, 2000, Montreal, PQ | Jun 22, 2002, Ste. Adele,QC | Jul 11, 2002, Ottawa, ON | Oct 15, 2002, Toronto, ON | Dec 31, 2002, Hamilton, ON | Jul 10, 2004, Ottawa, ON | Oct 23, 2004, Ottawa, ON | Nov 28, 2004, Ottawa, ON | Oct 17, 2006, Toronto, ON | Feb 02, 2007, Ottawa, ON | Jul 03, 2008, Ottawa, ON | Sep 26, 2009, Ottawa, ON | Apr 14, 2015, Kingston, ON | Aug 18, 2016, Ottawa, ON
schaggs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by schaggs »

I'm not sure we were at the same show.

The Canadian tire centre is the one out in Kanata, seemingly in the middle of nowhere.
Last edited by schaggs on Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
1995-02-10 Toronto; 1996-12-12 Toronto; 1998-07-04 Hamilton; 1999-02-22 Toronto; 2000-06-24 Toronto; 2000-12-06 Ottawa; 2002-08-02 Toronto; 2004-10-23 Ottawa; 2007-01-31 Oshawa; 2007-02-02 Ottawa; 2011-07-01 Toronto; 2012-02-09 Oshawa; 2015-02-19 Toronto; 2015-04-15 Oshawa; 2016-08-18 Ottawa
SRK
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by SRK »

blacksox12 wrote:I'm going to disagree. Thought the crowd was really good last night. More importantly the band was even better. It was a bit of a gong show getting in - happy I had tickets already in hand and got there early. It was great to see more than 21k attending - even standing room behind the stage was near full. The set list was great - really enjoyed the mix. I had a great time seeing this band one more time. Hope there are a few more opps down the road...

Yeah, I'm usually one to blast ottawa crowds at almost every show for sitting down and calmly listening, but on the floor and pretty much every section I could see in the stands was standing and joining in. Seems you just got unlucky with one spot.
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

One for the books.

That was one of the best nights of my life.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

I thought the crowd was okay. There were some people sitting down, but I've noticed that at all of the shows. I will say that this crowd was loud. The roar during Grace, too was the loudest I've heard of my six shows on this tour.

I made the right move on upgrading my seat. Fantastic. And nice to sit beside Mark! I tried to watch my singing, but couldn't control it sometimes, and I really, really hope that I'm not heard. :oops:

Highlights:

The crowd during grace, too. Incredible. I think that's also the loudest I've heard the band. Those drums!

During Gus, the mic cord disconnected from the mic. Gord fixed it, carrying on saying, "well that was embarrassing"! :lol:

The line "we live to survive all paradoxes" during Springtime seemed to sound like a chant/manta. Awesome.

Quotes: at one of the encore breaks - "you carry on, okay?" :( Also, "they're my friends. Forever" referring to the band. And "First Nations. That's Canada's capital".

As a Torontonian, I'm so used to the loud cheer after "that night in Toronto". In Ottawa, silence! Lol.

Ah, another great show. F*$k. On to Kingston. :cry:
robert goulet
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by robert goulet »

I'm with Sean on this one. If this is my last show I can rest easy knowing that it was quite likely the best one I have seen. Getting to enjoy it in a box with a dozen of my best friends probably added to the whole experience and I couldn't have asked for anything more.

Just about lost it at the end of ABAC when the band waved goodbye and Gord gave a heartfelt farewell to us for the first time but I managed to keep things in check. The encore songs were awesome and after it was all said and done I was so glad to have been there for that show and so many others over the years... I didn't have one feeling of sadness. In fact it was a feeling of pure joy.

Thank you fellas. Thank you!
SRK
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by SRK »

A few small things I noticed:

- Gord wasn't doing any of the little "flourishes" (as I like to call them) during songs, like "don't hurt me", or "bring out yer dead" or "ummm...yoo hoo?" I missed that, but it could just be down to him relying on the prompter now.
- After the above-mentioned mic drop on gus, he suddenly snapped into "rant mode" for about 10 seconds and muttered something about "it's hard for a polar bear, you know?" and screamed into the mic...it was almost like muscle memory kicking in.
- The in between evolution set was a surprise highlight for me. I don't like that album all that much, but those four songs were fantastic.
- I can't remember what song it was (springtime, I think) but Gordie was standing next to Gord S when a verse started and Gord S started singing along, as if to cue Gordie, and he just smacked S on the shoulder like "cut it out, I got this". S just grinned.

- They all kissed Gordie after the 1st encore. Really struck me at that moment how much of a real family these guys are after 35 years, and how hard it must be for the other 4. Gord gets the adulation at the end of the shows...but these guys are losing their brother. Must be awful.
gsmacleod
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by gsmacleod »

That was incredible - I had no issues getting in and even had a chance to hit the bathroom before the show. Found my seat and sat with butterflies in my stomach waiting for the show. When Robby's announcement came on I was surprised at the number of empty seats but apparently I just got lucky getting in the building. Pretty much full when the lights went down.

I was thinking it was going to be Road Apples to start but had wanted to see the acoustic NOIS so was happy to hear the opening notes of Boots to kick things off. Loved the dobro in NOIS!

MMP set was fantastic and Machine is a killer tune - loved it!

IBE set was solid and those around me seemed really into it - lots of people headed for refreshments during MMP/IBE but those who were there were singing and cheering. The lost mic cable was amusing and always fun to see someone with so much presence and experience handle things like that.

Greasy Jungle was a song I've wanted to catch so the opening notes had me dancing and then Nautical was amazing! Grace was probably the best one I've seen.

TATH set was great with a simply fantastic version of Flamenco; also love the long intro to ABAC.

FC encore was really solid and the crowd around me was super loud at this point.

PP - would have preferred Escape but love Bobcaygeon and a great finish with Poets capped an amazing show.

I was a little sad during Boots and Blow but after that it was just a great show and if this is it, it was a great show to conclude with.

Shane
Naga
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Naga »

Well that was an experience.

Great seats, but terrible crowd. The guy behind me asked me to sit down, the couple beside me were bored. They didn't know any of the deeper cuts like Bobcaygeon and New Orleans Is Sinking.

I was really impressed with the setlist. It hit all the right notes for me. The highlight was definitely the IBE portion, even though I felt like the only one who knew them.

I don't care what anyone says, from where I sat you could tell Downie was relying on the teleprompter. He also seemed not to be in the rhythm, which is super not like him. He sounded great too. He was almost restrained, as if someone had instructed him not to rant or do too much. I'm not trying to criticize, I just observed this. Its also my first show this tour, so maybe he's just tired. I also wonder if he relies on the teleprompter because its there.

But wow they sounded great. Im glad I got to go.