2016-08-12 - Toronto, Ontario

j-monster
Completist
Completist

Re: 2016-08-12 - Toronto, Ontario

Post by j-monster »

Another phenomenal show! Really, really hard for me to say which show of the two I got to see (London and Toronto #2) was better. I had better seats in London, and the crowd seemed just that little bit louder and into it, though tonight's crowd was no slouch. But the setlist was a little better tonight! IVL set? Membership? El Dorado???? Unbelievable!

Everything has been performed in a stellar way by Gord and the guys, including the hits. I've never seen or heard Grace, Too performed so well as these two shows... the boys were incandescent!

I picked up a poster before the show... better believe that baby is getting framed and hung on the wall!

Really wish I could see another show live, but I feel blessed to have seen these two. I'll try to enjoy any periscope feeds from the next few shows and I will definitely tune into CBC for the Kingston show... I have a feeling that will be the best one yet!
Torontonian69
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Torontonian69 »

So good. So emotional. See you tomorrow!

https://youtu.be/sZRpFh47d58[/youtube]
Torontonian69
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Torontonian69 »

Ahead by a century.

https://youtu.be/QPN2V32Nddw[/youtube]
tigerthelion88
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by tigerthelion88 »

felt like I got shot of a cannon with the opener of Courage and straight into Locked! Man was that a strong intro.
Daryl24
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Daryl24 »

This show was my 7th Hip show ever and all i can say is WOW what a show!
TheStruggleHasAName
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by TheStruggleHasAName »

hefner wrote:Anyone else notice Gord Sinclair sneak the intro riff from Emergency at the end of Nautical? That would have blown my mind if they'd actually played it!
That would have been incredible!

Have The Hip ever played Emergency live? Like, ever?

And if not, why not I wonder?
Aiowka
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Aiowka »

Fantastic setlist and performance. I recorded the entire show.

https://youtu.be/hBX7TQqBAXE
senrab
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by senrab »

A personal highlight of the show for me was the In Violet Light portion (especially Dire Wolf and It's a Good Life...) I bought this album when it came out in 2002. My dad was ill with a glioblastoma tumor at that same time. And now, I see some of it performed live under the obvious circumstances. The connection was not lost on me.

Other highlights for me were Courage, Nautical Disaster, and Membership. I was particularly moved by the hugs at the end, the deafening applause for Gord at the end of the sets that went on for several minutes, and his "it all disappears..." speech.
10.26.07 Washington DC
10.19.09 Washington DC
7.30.11 Buffalo
11.10.12 NYC
7.19.13 Buffalo
4.18.15 Buffalo
8.12.16 TO
wish I had seen more
boot
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by boot »

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, but one thing I noticed on Friday was a return of one of Gord's adlibs. Teleprompter use aside, what is noticed more is that may of Gord's standard adlibs have been absent. No "dinner" during ABAC... No "bring out yer dead" during Poets. Things I've come to expect.

But my heart jumped about 3 sizes the other night when Gord sang about how she moves so fast, moves so fast into that wedding ring.

Amazing. Just a small thing, but brightened everything for me.
senrab
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by senrab »

boot wrote:I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, but one thing I noticed on Friday was a return of one of Gord's adlibs. Teleprompter use aside, what is noticed more is that may of Gord's standard adlibs have been absent. No "dinner" during ABAC... No "bring out yer dead" during Poets. Things I've come to expect.

But my heart jumped about 3 sizes the other night when Gord sang about how she moves so fast, moves so fast into that wedding ring.

Amazing. Just a small thing, but brightened everything for me.
Yes, I noticed the omission of pretty much all of the ad-libs/monologues at the start of the tour and it made me a little sad. I noticed the line in Boots or Hearts as well. Also, the extended screaming during Grace, Too brought back old Gord. :)
10.26.07 Washington DC
10.19.09 Washington DC
7.30.11 Buffalo
11.10.12 NYC
7.19.13 Buffalo
4.18.15 Buffalo
8.12.16 TO
wish I had seen more
hurls15
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by hurls15 »

I thought I would hold off on adding some thoughts on this show until after I went to Sunday's show, just for perspective. Even then, it is hard to put it all into words. While I had been following the tour here, I had resisted looking at any of the videos/periscope. I just wanted to hear it in person first. I agree with the comments that have been posted- this is the best I have heard Gord and the band sound in 14-15 years. Just incredible. I can honestly say that Friday's show was in my top five favourite shows of all time (over a 24 year span of shows). I preferred it slightly to Sunday's show from an overall setlist and vibe in the building (or at least my immediate area) perspective. I was in row 1 of 109 on Friday, and sixth row floor on Rob's side on Saturday.

Just a couple of notes to further add to what has been written
- credit card entry ID was checked. However, I did watch someone swipe their card to get a couple in the building, with the cardholder not attending. He walked back out without fuss or problem.
- the merch lines are WAY longer than the beer lines.
- Friday's show was definitely filmed, with many people walking around the aisles of the floor and stands filming. I was definitely caught on camera belting out the lyrics to Something On!
- the setlist format definitely turns down the volume in the building during the MMP and the later album 8 song stretch. Hopefully an introduction for some people to some great later work by the band. However, I am doubtful that the guy sitting beside me who said "i know you will know, but what was the name of that song?" as Nautical ended will be converted.

The last thing I wanted to note was that I was fortunate to have a great seat in the first row of section 109, right at the front of the stage. Great view of the band obviously, but also right beside the spouses/kids/friends/family/band mgmt section and floor area. No need to get into details here, but when you see that group wiping away the occasional tear and consoling each other one moment, and arms linked over shoulders while singing and generally rocking out at other moments, it is hard to not to get emotional. For as much as this tour means to us huge fans of the band, it means that much more to that group. Young and old, it is definitely a family band.