2016-08-10 - Toronto, Ontario

rivum
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Re: 2016-08-10 - Toronto, Ontario

Post by rivum »

gsmacleod wrote: Ever since I first heard Live Between Us, I always think of Gord talking about the guy, shaking a banana at people, trying to convince them it's making a sound when I hear The Luxury.

Shane
ah ok got ya.
thanks!
grimes
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by grimes »

The Heron Outside wrote:My review from last night: https://nowtoronto.com/music/concert-re ... t-the-acc/
Great review :thumb:
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

The Heron Outside wrote:My review from last night: https://nowtoronto.com/music/concert-re ... t-the-acc/
Really great review Josh. You encapsulated my experience and emotions from last night perfectly. Always knew you would.
Sorry we didn't run into each other last night.
mark
Completist
Completist

Post by mark »

Denommania wrote:I was at the show last night and wanted to share a couple things that stood out. They both happened during 'Toronto #4.'

Gord sorta butchered it, unfortunately. He had the words in front of him but just couldn't seem to remember how the song went. No big deal.

Anyway, I was sitting to the right of the stage, right at eye level with the band. As Gord started struggling, Robby seemed to look over to our section, and he had a big smile on his face. It was sort a knowing little "I know this isn't right, but it's cool, we got this" kind of look.

Then after the song both Sinclair and Johnny had moments with Gord where it seemed like they were trying to get him composed. Sinclair whispered a couple things in his ear and gave him a pat on the back. Johnny reached right over his kit and held Gordie's hand for a moment while they spoke.

Both kind of sweet moments that were interesting to see.
i saw that on the periscope video and assumed they were changing the setlist on the fly, but didn't see anything changed.
sherpa
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sherpa »

sean.bonner wrote:
sherpa wrote:Epic picture of Gord + Crowd
Is it okay if I use this as my Facebook cover photo? love it
Absolutely
Torontonian69
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Torontonian69 »

rivum wrote:great video of grace, too from last night.
some classic gord dancing and mic fights near the end.

**EDIT** for some reason the embedded video doesn't seem to be showing up. weird. here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvQk7W1vIwM

Getting the chills watching that video.
boot
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by boot »

Couple of thoughts...

- I almost lost it during Little Bones, of all songs... "Nothin's dead down here...". Gord delivered with such power...
- Also Springtime in Vienna just seemed triumphant. Again, Gord standing centre stage arms outstretched just powering thru that song "we live to survive our paradoxes".
- I will never get tired of watching Rob Baker and Gord Sinclair play together. They are having so much fun out there (they all are).
- Johnny switched drums during mid-song in the encore (Grace?), jumping from the small kit to the big one). Hadn't seen that mentioned before.

Lastly, we were behind the stage, and could watch the rest of the crowd watching the show... What an amazing sight that was to see. The ACC was packed with the rafters, I'd love to to the the attendance was - I don't know if they could have fit another soul into that building. After a couple of years of smaller shows/tours or venues that weren't sold out, it is absolutely awesome to see the outpouring of support, the enthusiasm, and the huge crowds... it should always be like this.
rivum
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by rivum »

great review Josh! :thumb:
Flamenco
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Flamenco »

cochise wrote:
canuckeh wrote:Flamenco is so critically underrated
Yup +1 to that. Same with Sherpa, another majorly underated TATH cut.
agreed! :)
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

Flamenco wrote:
cochise wrote:
canuckeh wrote:Flamenco is so critically underrated
Yup +1 to that. Same with Sherpa, another majorly underated TATH cut.
agreed! :)
It seems that lots of TATH is seen as underrated.

700 Ft. Ceiling has been kicking my ass a bunch these last few months;
Let's Stay Engaged is funky as f**k;
Apartment Song is phenom;
I've also always had a soft spot for Coconut Cream.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
opiated49
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by opiated49 »

Denommania wrote:I was at the show last night and wanted to share a couple things that stood out. They both happened during 'Toronto #4.'

Gord sorta butchered it, unfortunately. He had the words in front of him but just couldn't seem to remember how the song went. No big deal.

Anyway, I was sitting to the right of the stage, right at eye level with the band. As Gord started struggling, Robby seemed to look over to our section, and he had a big smile on his face. It was sort a knowing little "I know this isn't right, but it's cool, we got this" kind of look.

Then after the song both Sinclair and Johnny had moments with Gord where it seemed like they were trying to get him composed. Sinclair whispered a couple things in his ear and gave him a pat on the back. Johnny reached right over his kit and held Gordie's hand for a moment while they spoke.

Both kind of sweet moments that were interesting to see.
I noticed a ton of looks between band members at the 2 vancouver shows as well. This is a band that loves each other.

Thankfully he didn't butcher that song when I saw it
The artist formally known as Opiated
BDS28
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BDS28 »

Has he taken off the neck covering at all on the tour? Do you think it's purely for costume or is he covering something up?
BDS28
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BDS28 »

NWOntario wrote:
trevor wrote:
chancellor wrote:There is a sportsnet article about it. Basically they were all taken down a month ago to be replaced with new ones for the 100 year anniversary. They put the Bill Barilko one back up for the hip
Got it thanks! Pretty cool if you ask me.
If these shows had been two years ago Tim Leiweke would've found a way to screw that up I'm sure.
You do realize that all of the amazing MLSE happenings these days including the Raptors success, the rebranding of the Leafs, the upcoming Leafs dynasty, and even the Barilko banner thing are because of Tim Leiweke's work, right? No one has ripped on MLSE over the years more than I have, but Leiweke was the catalyst that seemed to have changed everything for the better. He's owed a lot of thanks by the fans of Toronto!!!
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

BDS28 wrote:You do realize that all of the amazing MLSE happenings these days including the Raptors success, the rebranding of the Leafs, the upcoming Leafs dynasty, and even the Barilko banner thing are because of Tim Leiweke's work, right? No one has ripped on MLSE over the years more than I have, but Leiweke was the catalyst that seemed to have changed everything for the better. He's owed a lot of thanks by the fans of Toronto!!!
Counterpoint to all that: the Bon Jovi banner. :P
BDS28
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BDS28 »

NWOntario wrote:
BDS28 wrote:You do realize that all of the amazing MLSE happenings these days including the Raptors success, the rebranding of the Leafs, the upcoming Leafs dynasty, and even the Barilko banner thing are because of Tim Leiweke's work, right? No one has ripped on MLSE over the years more than I have, but Leiweke was the catalyst that seemed to have changed everything for the better. He's owed a lot of thanks by the fans of Toronto!!!
Counterpoint to all that: the Bon Jovi banner. :P

Doesn't bother me at all. The Leafs have probably the best future in the NHL so that's mostly all I care about! And I don't just mean on-ice product. The franchise is treating itself with class and dignity again. Shanahan is a godsend. And I don't even believe in god!