2016-08-10 - Toronto, Ontario

trevor
Completist
Completist

Re: 2016-08-10 - Toronto, Ontario

Post by trevor »

srb wrote:Just got home from Toronto #1...definitely a different vibe than the London show...more mellow overall, but a great time!
Wow you must have been at a different show! From where we were, everyone was dancing and singing all night. Never (NEVER) heard the ACC that loud before. It was great!
mark
Completist
Completist

Post by mark »

watching Juan's periscope video right now. this is a killer start to the show. it's been years since i heard Gord sing this well.
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

trevor wrote:
srb wrote:Just got home from Toronto #1...definitely a different vibe than the London show...more mellow overall, but a great time!
Wow you must have been at a different show! From where we were, everyone was dancing and singing all night. Never (NEVER) heard the ACC that loud before. It was great!
I was in the same section as Scott. At one point I looked to my right (away from the stage) and three rows of people were sitting down. So many people left for breaks during the MMP set. Anyway, their problem for missing out...not mine.

These shows are getting harder and harder as the realization that I'm saying goodbye hits. I had a lot of tears last night. Especially when Gord left the stage for the second break. I just want to give him a big hug, carry his load if I can...you know what I mean? I feel so helpless so far away.

Anyway, the set was incredible. I've been to 73 shows now, and I can't believe that last night was only the second time I've heard Luxury. The first time was 20 years ago at the Gardens!

At the intro to ABAC, I was like, "what's this? A Hip song I don't know?? Is it new???" Then I noticed the guitar and clued in that it was probably ABAC! haha.

Oh...and Nautical. I cried through most of it...but still. I love that song.

What I found interesting (and sad) was that in M@W, Gord mumbled and slurred a lot of the second verse. But Flamenco sounded so clear and amazing. That's what so tough to watch. One song you realize that he's sick, then the next song you're like, no way, that's the old Gord, and so on and so on.

I'm excited to see what they pull out for the next two TO shows, and am hoping they don't repeat songs that are typically played for nostalgic/venue sake (i.e., BobC, 50MC).

On to TO #2!
rivum
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by rivum »

wow what a beast of a setlist! So happy that nautical finally happened! Speaking selfishly, I only hope that they will consider playing it two nights in a row since I'm going Friday!
Same with three pistols! That tune rocks my world in all the right ways....
sherpa
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by sherpa »

I tried to periscope a bit last night but had little battery. If you look up Darrin Cappe on periscope I did get the M@W set and nautical and one or two others.
rivum
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by rivum »

I was listening to Humble and Fred this morning and one of their interns was talking about the show.
They asked her "what did they open with" and she replied, "one of the ones from the new album, then right into little bones!"

:nooooo
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

Had a great time last night.

Highlights for me were luxury, 50MC, T4, and Nautical,

I didn't meet any basers in person but gave a few waves across the arena to Jeffro and Tony. Hope you guys enjoyed the show.

I noticed the 1951 leaf Stanley cup banner was missing and wasn't sure if gord and the boys were going to raise the banner during 50MC or something else really cool. When the song came on I thought something was going to happen but nope. Anyone know why the banner wasn't up last night?

Next up is Hamilton for me. To everyone going to T.O 2 and 3; get there really early if you want merch. The line ups are super long.
ashtrayrock
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ashtrayrock »

direwolf74 wrote:Man, every time I see him standing on that stage by himself...waterworks every time.
indeed on this. in london gord spent a little more time saying goodbye than he did in TO # 1
but like you said it's hard to watch without reflecting on what's really going on

another killer show last night. # 2 of 7. face value through the fan club presale
don't want to jynx myself...but the stupidly drunken, backwards wearing baseball cap, frat boy scene, hasn't been a problem on this tour...yet.
like london the opening song was a complete shocker...i could not have predicted the luxury
was thrilled about 3 pistols and was hoping for more of a mix up for the MMP mini set
i'm really hoping to get in sarnia sometime soon....
putting down and flamenco and nautical. holy!
not sure how each show will get better than this as TO # 1 will be a hard act to follow
having said that i know the band will rise above

the tears started during 50MC last night
mostly because the band created such an epic moment
that all i could think of, well, this is it....
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

thehip11 wrote:
I noticed the 1951 leaf Stanley cup banner was missing and wasn't sure if gord and the boys were going to raise the banner during 50MC or something else really cool. When the song came on I thought something was going to happen but nope. Anyone know why the banner wasn't up last night?
We also noticed that the only one of the retired number banners hanging was Billy Barilko's. All the others were not there. Anyone know why? Was this especially done for the Hip and 50MC?
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

There is a sportsnet article about it. Basically they were all taken down a month ago to be replaced with new ones for the 100 year anniversary. They put the Bill Barilko one back up for the hip
paulster2626
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by paulster2626 »

My wife has been singing Bobcaygeon all morning - she never does this. She's so happy that Gord's condition was drastically better than the Vancouver show we saw.

Vancouver: he was very thin, rigid, no real talking between songs, not a whole lot of improvisation. Still good, but you could tell this wasn't the *real* Gord Downie.
Toronto: Gord's gained a lot of weight - his suits actually fit him now! Also seemed MUCH happier in general, and back to fighting the mic stand a little bit and acting silly. Felt a lot like old times.

Last night was much more of a celebration than a send off for me. Hope this vibe continues.
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

chancellor wrote:There is a sportsnet article about it. Basically they were all taken down a month ago to be replaced with new ones for the 100 year anniversary. They put the Bill Barilko one back up for the hip
Got it thanks! Pretty cool if you ask me.
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

trevor wrote:
chancellor wrote:There is a sportsnet article about it. Basically they were all taken down a month ago to be replaced with new ones for the 100 year anniversary. They put the Bill Barilko one back up for the hip
Got it thanks! Pretty cool if you ask me.
If these shows had been two years ago Tim Leiweke would've found a way to screw that up I'm sure.
mark
Completist
Completist

Post by mark »

vocally, this was the best show of the tour. very good singing.
paulster2626
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by paulster2626 »

mark wrote:vocally, this was the best show of the tour. very good singing.
People will likely vehemently disagree, but I've always thought that the sound at the ACC is really good.