2016-08-08 - London, Ontario

trevor
Completist
Completist

Re: 2016-08-08 - London, Ontario

Post by trevor »

London1Setlist.jpg
Tthip wrote:
BDS28 wrote:Have the actual one been floated online yet or is it just hearsay?
It was on the actual physical setlist.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NegPhil
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by NegPhil »

Last night was such an amazing experience that I can't really describe it. I will say that the only person in that stadium who thought Gords joke about his brain was funny was him. God I love that guy.
GordsGal
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by GordsGal »

I can't seem to remember how to post photos on the forum so here's the link to the FB album of some of the better shots we got last night:

https://www.facebook.com/nikivberg/medi ... =3&qsefr=1
wozman
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by wozman »

thompson girl wrote:I had so many emotions last night, I was so drained by the time I got back to the car. I broke down the minute they walked on the stage, and all through Opiated, one of my favourite songs of all time.

Then I picked myself up and treated the show as a celebration. I smiled, I cheered, I closed my eyes and listened, and I shed another tear or two. They sounded absolutely incredible. And Gord. I have no words. If you didn't know of his illness, you'd have no clue he is sick. He is simply amazing. And if anybody can rock a knee-high sock as a scarf, it's Gord Downie. Wonder if his kids asked him to wear them?

The comment about his brain not working took everyone aback I think. It was like the white elephant in the room, and when he mentioned it, I think that's the first time all night the crowd had no reaction.

I also notice he referred to his wife as "the lady I have four kids with", in reference to London being a special place to him as this is where he met her.

Absolutely loved the huge cheer during Scared, for the line "They can live a long, long while". I loved MMP from the first time I played it, so I loved hearing the songs live. IAWPBTHM and Machine sounded incredible. Found it a little sad that they ended the show with a downer like Fiddlers, but I couldn't really complain. I was just happy to hear all the songs that I did.

Anyway, I thought this was a fantastic way to showcase their albums and I can't wait for the rest of the shows for some more "rarities". See you at Toronto #1!
Likewise, Perfectly summed up, This was probably my 15th show, and 4th @ the JLC/Bud Gardens my hometown. Been dying to here Opiated and seeing it listed on almost all the other set lists of this tour, and for the boys to come out and kick the show off with that song, WOW, totally awesome, as if they new. Got a little emotional like the rest of the crowd When Gordie made the comment about his brain. Also when "New Orleans is beat" was listed I shed a few tears. :oops:
All and all a wonderful night.

Best of luck to anyone else continue with the Tour,
Have a blast.
ashtrayrock
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ashtrayrock »

thanks to hipbase for helping me get a ticket for face value. worth taking 2 days off work for!

opiated. huge start. wasn't expecting that at all
sound was loud and clear. lights and screens all nice
LOVE how the band is playing closer together on stage
gord playing gord is always my favourite thing to watch during the show
a poet and lyrical genius like none other
gord waving and leaving the stage a few times towards the end of the show was umm well

so many great songs. every song. gord singing incredible. band tight and loose as ever
something on, nashville, so hard done by, but definitely the highlight was scared

was hoping for in sarnia. to 1 next
robbroncs
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by robbroncs »

I don't lie lol
cbeach401
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by cbeach401 »

Amazing... just an amazing show.

I'm just so thankful that I was able to get to this show. The band were just on fire, Gord's singing was right on, a great set, and an incredibly emotional night. I simply have no words, not even after two days. It was just the best.

As an aside, the instrumental bit they did at the end of Daredevil - did that sound like the riff from Hiccups to anyone else? Using Hiccups as the OUTRO from DD would be awesomely turning it on its head.
j-monster
Completist
Completist

Post by j-monster »

cbeach401 wrote:Amazing... just an amazing show.

I'm just so thankful that I was able to get to this show. The band were just on fire, Gord's singing was right on, a great set, and an incredibly emotional night. I simply have no words, not even after two days. It was just the best.

As an aside, the instrumental bit they did at the end of Daredevil - did that sound like the riff from Hiccups to anyone else? Using Hiccups as the OUTRO from DD would be awesomely turning it on its head.
Yeah I noticed that as well. An interesting juxtaposition to be sure.
brsmithca
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by brsmithca »

Here is my story from the London show, which might have some answers to previous posts.
I had Sec 117 beside the stage where Paul plays we got to put seats right away and sat there just taking it all in and I watched the crew do there stuff.
I believe Gord had some family there at the show, I saw one woman come from back stage who wasgerting hugs from the Hip stagehands and their security guy. During the show there was like four people standing on the floor beside the stage. If you watch the videos Gord spent alot of time singing in that direction all night long.

My preshow story that is hard to believe. I drove from Niagara Falls. Merging onto the 403 from the Lincoln Alexander in hamilton, I pulled infront of two tour buses. I said it was the band to my girlfriend. As I let them pass me, my CD on random starts Fiddlers Green. At the moment the buses are passing me we drive past Fiddlers Green Road in Ancaster.
So for the Hip to finish with Fiddlers Green was unbelievable. At the arena we saw the two buses(1&2).