2016-08-08 - London, Ontario

gillcash
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Re: 2016-08-08 - London, Ontario

Post by gillcash »

Was it me or did it seem like they took more time than usual after Courage? It seems they should have ended with Little Bones, Twist My Arm or Three Pistols...all pretty rockin'. Maybe at the break, after Courage, they decided one more slow one and that would have to be it.
Jkohn
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Jkohn »

It will be interesting to see the "printed setlist", that they seem to be posting after every show.....
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

Closing with Fiddlers was spectacularly unexpected and singularly awesome :shock:
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
posthead
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by posthead »

They do have the 3x Toronto shows coming up - can't take any chances (for whatever reasons).

They had to cancel the WATS shows in Denver and Minneapolis because Gord was under the weather at the time - and they had some "special" show in Toronto coming up later in the week (which likely was worth more than a couple of US club shows).

Not that one song makes as much difference as entire shows.

(FWIW, they didn't hit Denver on the NFPA tour, but they did hit Minneapolis)
Dev
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Dev »

IMO, Gord seemed very emotional during Fiddler's Green.
edgoffin
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by edgoffin »

posthead wrote:They do have the 3x Toronto shows coming up - can't take any chances (for whatever reasons)
They're playing Toronto, they should have shortened all these previous shows to get ready for the centre of the universe shows! :D

Just joking - following online go to bad thoughts, but watching a recorded stream looked like the planned end.
thechubb44
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by thechubb44 »

That was odd. When he said his brain wasn't working tonight you could hear the air leave the building. He's likely tired. He's got 3 nights in Toronto right? Maybe being home for a few days caught up with him. It would me. Hard to keep momentum.
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

Dev wrote:IMO, Gord seemed very emotional during Fiddler's Green.

Knowing it could be the last song he plays in a city that means so much to them would do it.
carebread
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by carebread »

gratts99 wrote:

Knowing it could be the last song he plays in a city that means so much to them would do it.
Yeah. Toronto and Kingston will be emotionally draining. I'm sure Ottawa as well, although I don't know what history there is there.
Across The Causeway '04 | Big Music Fest '08 | Kingston '09 | Bobcaygeon '11 | Cobourg '13 | Bluesfest '13 | Danforth Music Hall '15 | Kingston '15 | Bluesfest '15 | Toronto I '16 | Toronto II '16 | Toronto III '16 | Hamilton '16 | Ottawa '16 | Kingston '16
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

gratts99 wrote:

this
posthead
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by posthead »

They also better be prepared for the Hamilton crowd as well IMHO - that place is going to be LOUD.
canuckeh
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by canuckeh »

He said thank you at one point to the city where he met the woman who had his four children, I don't doubt for a second he was emotionally drained, that was an incredible show to be at, I'll treasure it forever.
j-monster
Completist
Completist

Post by j-monster »

That was simply an incredible show. I'm still reeling.

I must have looked like a right mess on the way out, because the usher for my section asked me if I was all right. Yeah, oh yeah, I'm fine, just saw a transcendent Hip concert that's left me emotionally spent. No biggie.

Seriously though, I don't even care we missed out on a 25th song. The 24 they played were outstanding. And really, how do you follow up Fiddler's Green when it's performed like that? You just can't do it.

And holy crap the crowd was loud. Loudest crowd of any Hip show I've been to, and I've seen a few.

Still one more for me to see, Toronto #2 this Friday. I might just be recovered from this one by then.
posthead
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by posthead »

Looking at the itinerary again, this date was a little different:

Victoria show, then travel to Vancouver (not very long) - but then no travel for 3 days.

Travel to Edmonton (somewhat long?) - but then no travel for a few days.

Travel to Calgary (not super long) - but then no travel for a few days.

Travel to Winnipeg (longest so far) - granted, with 2 days between shows, but no real "off day".

Travel to London (even longer) - granted, with 3 days between shows, but possibly no "off day without travel".

(anyone know whether they are in a bus, or flying, or a combination of both?)

I spent most of the last 8 years traveling for work, and it will drain you even if you are in good health.
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

j-monster wrote:
Seriously though, I don't even care we missed out on a 25th song. The 24 they played were outstanding. And really, how do you follow up Fiddler's Green when it's performed like that? You just can't do it.
Agreed. Incredible version of Fiddler's.