2016-08-08 - London, Ontario

srb
Completist
Completist

Re: 2016-08-08 - London, Ontario

Post by srb »

Just got home from the show. Haven't read through the posts, but truly spectacular. The version of Grace, Too was incredible..half way through the song they just cranked it to 11.

I think they hit every album I wanted to hear on this tour.

My friend somehow got a setlist and Bones was supposed to be the final song. I didn't see Johnny on stage for Fiddlers, so I'm guessing that had something to do with it.

Wow...just wow.
bstrauss24
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bstrauss24 »

Hey all- in regards to the short song-

Johnny left as soon as the first encore was done. Didn't stay with the band and didn't wave goodbye. He the didn't come back for Fiddlers, and GD looked back to the kit and when he saw he wasn't there, he said good night.

I'm hoping he's OK!
Dev
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Dev »

bstrauss24 wrote:Hey all- in regards to the short song-

Johnny left as soon as the first encore was done. Didn't stay with the band and didn't wave goodbye. He the didn't come back for Fiddlers, and GD looked back to the kit and when he saw he wasn't there, he said good night.

I'm hoping he's OK!
either overcome with emotion or family emegency? there can't be a good reason... sad...
kieffer
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by kieffer »

Show number 21 for me and the first of three on the MMP tour. What can I say, it was hot in the building and the band seemed to match the heat.

Opening with Opiated was incredible, I remember thinking just a few years ago how awesome it would be to hear them play it live. So the show was off to a great start.

The songs from MMP were great, under other circumstances I would have loved to hear more from the album. Machine was just killer live.

I tend to be someone who prefers to hear the deeper cuts, but Grace and Courage were probably the highlights for me. Just rocking.

Be curious to hear why they didn't close with little bones (as listed on the setlist), but pretty sure that was the first time they ever ended a concert with fiddler's green.

These guys are just a perfect group of humans and I couldn't have asked for anything more.
thompson girl
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thompson girl »

I had so many emotions last night, I was so drained by the time I got back to the car. I broke down the minute they walked on the stage, and all through Opiated, one of my favourite songs of all time.

Then I picked myself up and treated the show as a celebration. I smiled, I cheered, I closed my eyes and listened, and I shed another tear or two. They sounded absolutely incredible. And Gord. I have no words. If you didn't know of his illness, you'd have no clue he is sick. He is simply amazing. And if anybody can rock a knee-high sock as a scarf, it's Gord Downie. Wonder if his kids asked him to wear them?

The comment about his brain not working took everyone aback I think. It was like the white elephant in the room, and when he mentioned it, I think that's the first time all night the crowd had no reaction.

I also notice he referred to his wife as "the lady I have four kids with", in reference to London being a special place to him as this is where he met her.

Absolutely loved the huge cheer during Scared, for the line "They can live a long, long while". I loved MMP from the first time I played it, so I loved hearing the songs live. IAWPBTHM and Machine sounded incredible. Found it a little sad that they ended the show with a downer like Fiddlers, but I couldn't really complain. I was just happy to hear all the songs that I did.

Anyway, I thought this was a fantastic way to showcase their albums and I can't wait for the rest of the shows for some more "rarities". See you at Toronto #1!
redhill
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by redhill »

thompson girl wrote:I had so many emotions last night, I was so drained by the time I got back to the car. I broke down the minute they walked on the stage, and all through Opiated, one of my favourite songs of all time.

Then I picked myself up and treated the show as a celebration. I smiled, I cheered, I closed my eyes and listened, and I shed another tear or two. They sounded absolutely incredible. And Gord. I have no words. If you didn't know of his illness, you'd have no clue he is sick. He is simply amazing. And if anybody can rock a knee-high sock as a scarf, it's Gord Downie. Wonder if his kids asked him to wear them?

The comment about his brain not working took everyone aback I think. It was like the white elephant in the room, and when he mentioned it, I think that's the first time all night the crowd had no reaction.

I also notice he referred to his wife as "the lady I have four kids with", in reference to London being a special place to him as this is where he met her.

Absolutely loved the huge cheer during Scared, for the line "They can live a long, long while". I loved MMP from the first time I played it, so I loved hearing the songs live. IAWPBTHM and Machine sounded incredible. Found it a little sad that they ended the show with a downer like Fiddlers, but I couldn't really complain. I was just happy to hear all the songs that I did.

Anyway, I thought this was a fantastic way to showcase their albums and I can't wait for the rest of the shows for some more "rarities". See you at Toronto #1!
I'm pressing the "like" button here
Lucky13
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Lucky13 »

I was reading on Facebook that Baker wasn't on stage for Fiddlers Green. Anyone know why
carebread
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by carebread »

Lucky13 wrote:I was reading on Facebook that Baker wasn't on stage for Fiddlers Green. Anyone know why
Rob was, Johnny wasn't.
Across The Causeway '04 | Big Music Fest '08 | Kingston '09 | Bobcaygeon '11 | Cobourg '13 | Bluesfest '13 | Danforth Music Hall '15 | Kingston '15 | Bluesfest '15 | Toronto I '16 | Toronto II '16 | Toronto III '16 | Hamilton '16 | Ottawa '16 | Kingston '16
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

With such a unique situation at hand, The Hip ROCKED London last night. I am so glad...and will always be...that I made the trip from Detroit. For all the speculation that there might be more dates, I have to believe THESE are the last shows. You can sense the entire building wanting to wrap it's arms around Gord and fill his heart with appreciation and gratitude. I was with my adult daughter and the entire night was an experience of not only entertainment but life itself.

The show itself was fantastic. After three decades of seeing The Hip I was amazed at how truly tight, visual and unique the show still is. The band is well rehearsed and the PA and lights are absolute top-notch. The entire band deserves props for keeping things on the rails....both musically and emotionally. With such a unique task at hand...These guys are pros at a level never seen in rock music IMO.

After watching the Periscope streams and YouTube vids for the past couple weeks, I knew what to expect. The only thing that is different is that the unexpected happens when you see it live. Out of absolutely nowhere comes emotion and eyes become glassy. It doesn't happen to everyone at the same time mind you...it just happens.

I will say, with the band rocking so hard, there are moments when you completely lose track of the hard facts of reality. Running through my head after several songs are the usual thoughts, "Damn they sound awesome!" "I wonder what the rest of the setlist will be?" "This is so cool to hear such a rarity," "Wow is this place loud during Poets!"....BUT at least a few times during each song, there is a reminder of how shitty this situation really is....

We want to celebrate and we did. We want to cheer and be sweaty and sing along...and we did. There will never be another band like the Hip. The entire experience is so uniquely Canadian. In fact from the minute we hit 401 my posse and I soaked up the vibe and became part of the wonderful culture...of a night with the Hip.

Once we parked in the lot to the east of the arena, we heard a Hip cover band playing on the roof of a bar (Blow at High Dough). We walked a bit further to an corner bar and mingled and drank to the sounds of the Hip (50 MC). Then out to the street next to the venue where a beer tent was in the market complete with another Hip cover band (38 Years Old and Meridian). A true celebration of the music and the culture that is The Tragically Hip.

The show itself was a solid mix of old, new, hits and album cuts. The London show was the first on the tour to not feature anything new (that wasn't played in the other shows). For reasons unknown, we also only got one last encore (Fiddlers Green). I have to imagine something was up. As stated Johnny Fay wasn't out for Fiddlers and the wind kind of blew out of the sails when Gord talked about his brain not working so well and forgetting lyrics etc during the first encore.

None of the above matters in the grand scheme of things. I was entertained and moved. I remember my first Hip show (93) and I will never forget this one.

The UTH set was amazing and tight. Gords vocals we really good tonight. The mix was great. The four songs from MMP were fantastic live. I still say Machine should be a radio single! The IBE set was a bit of a challenge for some (nobody sat though!). I thought the versions of Gus and Nashville were ferocious! Both band and crowd were clicking with Nashville....damn did they rock that song! Grace and Scared were wonderful as was the PP material. In fact the version of Fireworks absolutely brought the house down...the band killed it! The FC set was obviously well received including a wicked version of Pigeon Camera.

During Fiddlers GD was very emotional. As he moves through the song and comes to different lyrics, it is a dose of reality. He gets it and so do we.

Thank you to the Tragically Hip for providing me with decades of inspiration, a musical soundtrack, pure entertainment and a bit of the "across the boarder" culture....

Wishing I could hit one of the Toronto shows but....ugh...can't.

:thumb:
GordsGal
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by GordsGal »

The show was amazing and crazy emotional. So fantastic to see Gord doing what he clearly loves!

I didn't notice it the socks until I looked at the pics this morning :D

Managed to grab a few videos. Will upload as I post them.

GordsGal
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by GordsGal »

NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

posthead wrote:I spent most of the last 8 years traveling for work, and it will drain you even if you are in good health.
Every time someone tells me I've got the greatest job in the world because I get paid to travel internationally I kind of want to slap them :P

Seriously, my job's great, but travel sucks the life out of you. I honestly don't know how the band's doing it this tour, I really don't.
mark
Completist
Completist

Post by mark »

Jkohn wrote:It will be interesting to see the "printed setlist", that they seem to be posting after every show.....
little bones was the last song on the setlist
BDS28
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BDS28 »

Have the actual one been floated online yet or is it just hearsay?
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

BDS28 wrote:Have the actual one been floated online yet or is it just hearsay?
It was on the actual physical setlist.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana