2016-08-01 - Calgary, Alberta

ewallman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Re: 2016-08-01 - Calgary, Alberta

Post by ewallman »

hefner wrote:I'm going to speculate that while IVL seemed like the logical choice to make the setlist, it was put off in favour of a Phantom Power set as Steve Berlin was at the show.
The band has mentioned several times that IVL is their weakest recording, I just assumed they were passing over it for this tour.
A Hip set list is like a box of chocolates..you never know which one you're going to get.
carebread
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by carebread »

ewallman wrote:
hefner wrote:I'm going to speculate that while IVL seemed like the logical choice to make the setlist, it was put off in favour of a Phantom Power set as Steve Berlin was at the show.
The band has mentioned several times that IVL is their weakest recording, I just assumed they were passing over it for this tour.
I would've thought that was M@W.. *shifty eyes*
Across The Causeway '04 | Big Music Fest '08 | Kingston '09 | Bobcaygeon '11 | Cobourg '13 | Bluesfest '13 | Danforth Music Hall '15 | Kingston '15 | Bluesfest '15 | Toronto I '16 | Toronto II '16 | Toronto III '16 | Hamilton '16 | Ottawa '16 | Kingston '16
sherpahigh
Completist
Completist

Post by sherpahigh »

Now for plan A is their weakest and IVL ranks higher than WC, IBE, WATS and M@W. IMO anyway. Lotta gold on IVL.
sherpahigh
Completist
Completist

Post by sherpahigh »

thedarkcanuck wrote:Yet another amazing performance by Das Hip. 3 shows in 5 nights is a little slice of heaven to be sure. We sat in the very top row behind the stage for this one and I felt just as connected as when we were in the front row for edmonton #1. Gordie rocking the Cobain style shades during Grace was off the charts! My moment in this one came during Giftshop... as he pointed right at me in the top row each time he sang " from high up above!" . :lol: I know everyone has that moment during a show when we feel that extra personal connection with Gord, he is so fucking good at that. Go to as many shows as you possibly can hipbasers!
Those shades... Awesome. Loved the flashes of gord antics from the past, swimming, kicking up the towels, hand gun, etc. Such a cathartic experience for me and the wife last night. And fiddlers near the beginning just about had the wife in full on ugly crying mode. lol

Wish I could catch tomorrow's but I'm already miles away headed West to the coast for holidays. Hopefully catch a few more shows on Periscope and will definitely be watching the Kingston show on the CBC.
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

sherpahigh wrote:Now for plan A is their weakest and IVL ranks higher than WC, IBE, WATS and M@W. IMO anyway. Lotta gold on IVL.
IVL always gets a bum rap around here, and I've never understood why. Sure, it's not their strongest work overall, but c'mon. Good Life, The Darkest One, Leave, A Beautiful Thing, Throwing Off Glass, Dire Wolf, Dark Canuck...that's some quality stuff.

I disagree with you regarding NFPA though. I really like that album.
surferguy
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by surferguy »

It Was One of Those Nights

Nervous anticipation has filled my head for the last couple of months leading up to the August 1 Tragically Hip concert at the Saddledome in Calgary Alberta. The thought of this show has been in the back of mind since the delivery of the devastating news regarding the health of beloved front man Gord Downie.

As the days drew near, back of mind turned to front of mind, to all encompassing. What was waiting for me in that stadium? Last night that sheet was pulled back to reveal a band smashing its way through a back catalogue like a freight train through a watermelon.

The Kingston gents served up their set list in a mini album format. What a great way to witness a concert unfold. You hear the opening riffs of Three Pistols and now you know that three more songs from Road Apples are coming. The mind twists and the mental bets are made…what songs will they deliver. That’s the fun of it all – what’s next?

As the night continued they carried on through World Container and Man Machine Poem. The new songs sounded tremendous and after hearing them live, I feel like I’ve finally accepted the new album.

With the first sets complete a costume change occurred and for me a new direction for the show started to emerge under the baseline of So Hard Done By. Day for Night was on the table and the tracks got deeper much like the albums undertones. I love this album and maybe it’s the bias kicking in – but this was the show I came to see. Yawning or Snarling was delivered flawlessly. Daredevil thundered. Then it happened, the ultimate power bomb - Grace Too.

Unceremoniously Gord reached into the crowd and retrieved a pair of blue rimmed bug eyed glasses. He gently placed them over his eyes and immediately was cast under a spell. The onstage possession lit the fire storm of the audience. The next six minutes were brimming with a band thriving off the very energy that built this city. Imagine a game seven atmosphere romancing a campfire sing along, that was Grace Too. The crowd was so ravenous for one man to step to the microphone and plead his case. The place was frothing o n that electricity and at times it was hard to hear the band over the crowd. Think about that: It was so loud in that stadium you couldn’t hear the band – at a rock concert. The intensity rose to a fever pitch during those six magical minutes and never came down for the rest of the night. I get goose bumps just thinking about.

This is why you pay the money, why you get yourself in that building. The switch was thrown and the rest of the night blew up into something we could no longer contain. Bobcaygeon, Escape is at Hand Gift Shop all laid out with nothing left to scour. Flamenco swept the air with beautiful melodies and the simple elegance that these men can deliver so finely. The feels hit me as the delicate drawn out intro of Ahead by a Century started. It was impossible to stop the flow of tears down my cheek as these soundwaves careened. I knew it was going to happen and I felt no shame as I wasn’t alone.

All of us had these moments during these two hours. It would be impossible to calculate the number of different connections between song and fans. All of us have personal ties to their work as it has been a steady presence for as long as most of us can remember. Joy, sadness and love – all of it, all at once. None of us wanted it to be over. We would stay there all night if we could but that is not how this works.

With the echoes of Blow at High Dough still resonating, the band laid down their tools and waved their goodbye. The house lights rose and their stood a man clad in shiny silver pants and a Jaws T-shirt. An icon, alone on stage – surrounded by thousands - soaking in the admiration of a generation.

The crowd was relentless in their appreciation as they came to terms with what was occurring. A humble man taking his final bow and saying”Au Revior.” There we were in the midst of an everlasting memory searing into our existence.

“It was one of those nights” he quipped and with a final wave he turned and walked into the shadows wiping away a tear. Nobody could sidestep the emotion, not even Gord.

It all happened and I was there.
whiteknux
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by whiteknux »

Hip official setlist has "Something Else" by Eddie Cochran (commonly known as "Somethin' Else" and famously covered by Sid Vicious) listed as played rather than "Something On"- that's a mistake, right? Even links to the lyrics of the Cochran tune so I'm assuming the Hip have covered it before, maybe in '07 when they played all those amazing covers?
Last edited by whiteknux on Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sherpahigh
Completist
Completist

Post by sherpahigh »

direwolf74 wrote:
sherpahigh wrote:Now for plan A is their weakest and IVL ranks higher than WC, IBE, WATS and M@W. IMO anyway. Lotta gold on IVL.
IVL always gets a bum rap around here, and I've never understood why. Sure, it's not their strongest work overall, but c'mon. Good Life, The Darkest One, Leave, A Beautiful Thing, Throwing Off Glass, Dire Wolf, Dark Canuck...that's some quality stuff.

It's the one album of theirs I never really clicked with and I haven't given it a lot of play so probably not a fair grade but hey.

IVL is great though.
sherpahigh
Completist
Completist

Post by sherpahigh »

Great review surferguy
thedarkcanuck
Completist
Completist

Post by thedarkcanuck »

surferguy wrote:It Was One of Those Nights

Nervous anticipation has filled my head for the last couple of months leading up to the August 1 Tragically Hip concert at the Saddledome in Calgary Alberta. The thought of this show has been in the back of mind since the delivery of the devastating news regarding the health of beloved front man Gord Downie.

As the days drew near, back of mind turned to front of mind, to all encompassing. What was waiting for me in that stadium? Last night that sheet was pulled back to reveal a band smashing its way through a back catalogue like a freight train through a watermelon.

The Kingston gents served up their set list in a mini album format. What a great way to witness a concert unfold. You hear the opening riffs of Three Pistols and now you know that three more songs from Road Apples are coming. The mind twists and the mental bets are made…what songs will they deliver. That’s the fun of it all – what’s next?

As the night continued they carried on through World Container and Man Machine Poem. The new songs sounded tremendous and after hearing them live, I feel like I’ve finally accepted the new album.

With the first sets complete a costume change occurred and for me a new direction for the show started to emerge under the baseline of So Hard Done By. Day for Night was on the table and the tracks got deeper much like the albums undertones. I love this album and maybe it’s the bias kicking in – but this was the show I came to see. Yawning or Snarling was delivered flawlessly. Daredevil thundered. Then it happened, the ultimate power bomb - Grace Too.

Unceremoniously Gord reached into the crowd and retrieved a pair of blue rimmed bug eyed glasses. He gently placed them over his eyes and immediately was cast under a spell. The onstage possession lit the fire storm of the audience. The next six minutes were brimming with a band thriving off the very energy that built this city. Imagine a game seven atmosphere romancing a campfire sing along, that was Grace Too. The crowd was so ravenous for one man to step to the microphone and plead his case. The place was frothing o n that electricity and at times it was hard to hear the band over the crowd. Think about that: It was so loud in that stadium you couldn’t hear the band – at a rock concert. The intensity rose to a fever pitch during those six magical minutes and never came down for the rest of the night. I get goose bumps just thinking about.

This is why you pay the money, why you get yourself in that building. The switch was thrown and the rest of the night blew up into something we could no longer contain. Bobcaygeon, Escape is at Hand Gift Shop all laid out with nothing left to scour. Flamenco swept the air with beautiful melodies and the simple elegance that these men can deliver so finely. The feels hit me as the delicate drawn out intro of Ahead by a Century started. It was impossible to stop the flow of tears down my cheek as these soundwaves careened. I knew it was going to happen and I felt no shame as I wasn’t alone.

All of us had these moments during these two hours. It would be impossible to calculate the number of different connections between song and fans. All of us have personal ties to their work as it has been a steady presence for as long as most of us can remember. Joy, sadness and love – all of it, all at once. None of us wanted it to be over. We would stay there all night if we could but that is not how this works.

With the echoes of Blow at High Dough still resonating, the band laid down their tools and waved their goodbye. The house lights rose and their stood a man clad in shiny silver pants and a Jaws T-shirt. An icon, alone on stage – surrounded by thousands - soaking in the admiration of a generation.

The crowd was relentless in their appreciation as they came to terms with what was occurring. A humble man taking his final bow and saying”Au Revior.” There we were in the midst of an everlasting memory searing into our existence.

“It was one of those nights” he quipped and with a final wave he turned and walked into the shadows wiping away a tear. Nobody could sidestep the emotion, not even Gord.

Beautiful review my friend, I enjoyed reading that. It sure was one of those nights. I felt the same as I did at my first show 21 years ago, reaching that original high, The Tragically Hip are the perfect drug :music
7/17/95-Craven
11/18/96-Saskatoon
7/21/97-Saskatoon
9/16/00-Winnipeg
11/24/00-Red Deer
07/14/02-Camrose
9/26/02-Edmonton
9/27/02-Edmonton
8/1/03-Kelowna
6/22/04-Edmonton
11/17/04-Edmonton
11/20/04-Saskatoon
10/28/06-Calgary
1/19/07-Regina
7/18/07-Saskatoon
6/22/08-Calgary
8/4/09-Saskatoon
9/14/09-Edmonton
9/19/09-Banff
7/14/11-Edmonton
1/23/13-Edmonton
7/6/13-Saskatoon
10/10/15-Houston
7/28/16-Edmonton
7/30/16-Edmonton
8/01/16-Calgary
ewallman
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by ewallman »

sherpahigh wrote:
direwolf74 wrote:

It's the one album of theirs I never really clicked with and I haven't given it a lot of play so probably not a fair grade but hey.

IVL is great though.

I like IVL myself as well, but it is hard to belief Problem Bears was cut from the album. That is a head scratcher.

But regardless of our opinions, I have heard several band members mentioning IVL as their weakest, thus no play this tour.
A Hip set list is like a box of chocolates..you never know which one you're going to get.
TG
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by TG »

I was going to write up a review but there isn't need of of it now, this was everything I wanted to say but twice as eloquent.

Thank you.
laliber
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by laliber »

Perfect!
Dsotm
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Dsotm »

Helluva post surferguy. Reading that gave me the feels :thumb:
BDS28
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by BDS28 »

All 3 songs which were cut from IVL are terrific.

Oh and btw, IVL is my favourite album. Ala Bob McKenzie.