2016-07-24 - Vancouver, British Columbia

inchanhourtragicallyhip
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Re: 2016-07-24 - Vancouver, British Columbia

Post by inchanhourtragicallyhip »

carebread wrote:So, I guess the concerns some of us had from Victoria were kinda put to rest..

Absolutely done and done ha
"When I'm wild and lonely, in a winter mind and I cannot become -
Wild and loyal in a winter mind - what I want to become"
wheresourpigeoncamera
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by wheresourpigeoncamera »

Thank you VioletLite! That was awesome!
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

Thanks VioletLite for the scope. What a show. Thanks again
rockk62
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by rockk62 »

Huge shout out to VioletLite....thanks so much for sharing your experience.....Sarnia was well represented on that feed....12 guys sitting around a fire following along down memory lane to a pretty incredible show.

Thanks again.
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Just back from the show. What an incredible night! That was easily the most emotional concert I've ever seen. Just a massive outpouring of love and good vibes from everyone there, especially the awesome folks in our section that we met. Can't remember the exact setlist off the top of my head, but the big highlights for me were Membership, Thugs, Daredevil (w/ slow jam intro), So Hard Done By, Opiated, and the entire rink shouting along to Grace Too at full volume. It was beautiful. The new songs all sounded fantastic. Machine rocked hard and is already a classic in my opinion. World Possessed and Tired as f**k were excellent as well. I was kinda hoping to hear at least a couple of different songs from the new album, but I'm not gonna complain. I wonder if maybe those are the only 4 MMP tracks they're gonna play for this tour? I should also mention that Gord's voice is the best it's sounded since 2009. He was absolutely spot-on for the entire gig, and he seemed a bit more animated tonight than in Victoria.

Cool moment: the guy sitting beside us was from Australia and had flown 20 hours to see the show. This guy was hardcore. He said when he heard the news about Gord, he knew he had to be here to say goodbye. He had never seen them live back home, as they've only ever toured Australia once back in the early 90s. Tonight was his 3rd Hip show, all of them in Canada. If that's not dedication, I don't know what is. I unfortunately didn't catch his name, but man, if you're here on this forum and you read this, it was great meeting you and I hope you have a safe trip back.

As for the rest of the tour, you guys are in for a treat. Still the best f'n band in the world.

:music
inchanhourtragicallyhip
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by inchanhourtragicallyhip »

direwolf74 wrote:Just back from the show. What an incredible night! That was easily the most emotional concert I've ever seen. Just a massive outpouring of love and good vibes from everyone there, especially the awesome folks in our section that we met. Can't remember the exact setlist off the top of my head, but the big highlights for me were Membership, Thugs, Daredevil (w/ slow jam intro), So Hard Done By, Opiated, and the entire rink shouting along to Grace Too at full volume. It was beautiful. The new songs all sounded fantastic. Machine rocked hard and is already a classic in my opinion. World Possessed and Tired as f**k were excellent as well. I was kinda hoping to hear at least a couple of different songs from the new album, but I'm not gonna complain. I wonder if maybe those are the only 4 MMP tracks they're gonna play for this tour? I should also mention that Gord's voice is the best it's sounded since 2009. He was absolutely spot-on for the entire gig, and he seemed a bit more animated tonight than in Victoria.

Cool moment: the guy sitting beside us was from Australia and had flown 20 hours to see the show. This guy was hardcore. He said when he heard the news about Gord, he knew he had to be here to say goodbye. He had never seen them live back home, as they've only ever toured Australia once back in the early 90s. Tonight was his 3rd Hip show, all of them in Canada. If that's not dedication, I don't know what is. I unfortunately didn't catch his name, but man, if you're here on this forum and you read this, it was great meeting you and I hope you have a safe trip back.

As for the rest of the tour, you guys are in for a treat. Still the best f'n band in the world.

:music

Awesome Post!! Love reading this. I'm a huge fan (as we all are)...but unfortunately I will not be able to see a show for this tour. I refuse to pay the over priced tickets from stub hub. I watched tonights concert on periscope and I could only imagine how good it was in person. But, Gordie looked like he was at the top of his game! I thought they sounded great and the setlist was kick ass. 330 in the morning and I'm f'n amped and couldn't fall asleep if someone hit me over the head with a hammer :thumb:

Cheers Hip Fans!
"When I'm wild and lonely, in a winter mind and I cannot become -
Wild and loyal in a winter mind - what I want to become"
tfoe
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by tfoe »

Just getting home after being totally blown away by the greatest f'n band in the world for the 15th+ time in my life...so many highlights. Will try to post something a little more in depth tomorrow but all have to say is Grace Too was off the damn rails unreal tonight. So many emotions all night! Can't wait for Tuesday.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

thechubb44 wrote: I noticed the cameras were mic'd. The reasonable explanation has been that they are only for the screens in the arena. You'd have to think if a DVD were coming...
There was a release posted backstage before the show advising that tonight was being recorded for a project called "Celebration"
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

trevor wrote:Even better it was Hiccups into Daredevil! They haven't done that in FOREVER!
According to the setlist "Hiccups" is called "Slow Daredevil".
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Trae1978
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Trae1978 »

Great stream last night VioletLite, thank you!
November 23, 2004 - MTS Centre
January 20, 2007 - MTS Centre
September 7, 2009 - Centennial Concert Hall
September 9, 2009 - Centennial Concert Hall
September 10, 2009 - Centennial Concert Hall
September 11, 2009 - Centennial Concert Hall
July 7, 2011 - Shaw Park
January 26, 2013 - MTS Centre
February 14, 2015 - MTS Centre
August 5, 2016 - MTS Centre
paulster2626
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by paulster2626 »

Random collection of thoughts as my ears still ring...

Excellent show, but it's The Hip so we know that's happening.

Love the new set list format, but man oh man was that an emotional event. I cannot handle any slow songs anymore - lyrics have new meaning now.

Could've sworn gord said "I said nothing's dead down here... we're just a little tired" - I knew what he meant. Geez this is too much. Glad he gets to go out with a bang and on his own terms, so to speak.

Band started off playing super tight - I mean very close together physically. It just felt to me like 4 guys doing whatever they could to help out their best friend.

Bittersweet show. I love seeing my favourite band any time, but this was very sad. Toronto is gonna be tough.

HOT TIP: Merchandise counters are INSANE busy this tour for obvious reason. So either get there super early (like 7:30) or go and buy your stuff during the first break. You'll have time. These little breaks are awesome actually - time for a quick pee, grab a drink or snack, or some clothes.
Alternatively hit the pop-up tent after the show, as the lineup was only 3 deep at that point. They have TONS of stick it looked like so I wouldn't worry about not having your size in something. I bought a poster as well and they provided a "4-sided-tube" for it.

Great night. 10/10 but man i hope we get a miracle for our friend Gord here.
Rye
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by Rye »

Tthip wrote:
trevor wrote:Even better it was Hiccups into Daredevil! They haven't done that in FOREVER!
Back in the day it used to be differentiated as:
- Hiccups is the intro with lyrics
- Daredevil Reprise was the intro without lyrics
Nov 19, 1996 Winnipeg, MB
Jul 23, 1997 Winnipeg, MB
Feb 26, 1999 Winnipeg, MB
Oct 1, 2002 Winnipeg, MB
Oct 2, 2002 Winnipeg, MB
Nov 23, 2004 Winnipeg, MB
Jan 20, 2007 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 7, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 9, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 10, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 11, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Jul 7, 2011 Winnipeg, MB
Dec 1, 2012 Fargo, ND
Jan 26, 2013 Winnipeg, MB
Jan 28, 2013 Brandon, MB
Feb 14, 2015 Winnipeg, MB
Aug 5, 2016 Winnipeg, MB
thebends
Completist
Completist

Post by thebends »

Another KILLER set list, phenomenal. Thank you so much VioletLite!
"we've only got three hundred feet to go ..."
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Rye wrote:
Tthip wrote:
Back in the day it used to be differentiated as:
- Hiccups is the intro with lyrics
- Daredevil Reprise was the intro without lyrics
There you go. Still loved it, whatever they are calling it now.
VioletLite
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by VioletLite »

Thanks for the love re: the Periscope stream! I'm so glad so many of you were able to be there with me last night.
Not only was it my first time in front row but I got Gord's set list!!!! Speechless and beyond honored and gratefu!! It's covered in sweat blotches and is something I'll cherish for the rest of my life. I cried like a baby of course when I got handed that!

Hands down the most kick arse version of Grace I've EVER witnessed. I don't know if there are words to describe that feeling and vibe in the arena during that song.

Phenomenal show. Mind blowing.
All I'm hearin' is youuuuuuuu