2016-07-22 - Victoria, British Columbia

sherpa
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Re: 2016-07-22 - Victoria, British Columbia

Post by sherpa »

OK here is my guess at what the setlists might look like if the shows on the tour are structured the same as last night
1. 4 songs from Up To Here - with Opiated rotating with 38 Years old, maybe She Didn't Know
2. 4 songs from MMP - 3 of which will switch out each show with Possessed remaining for all shows
3. 4 songs from either Phantom Power (Poets and Bobcaygeon plus 2 others rotating - Escape, Chagrin Falls, Vapour Trails maybe) OR 4 songs from Music At Work (M@W with probably Lake Fever, Putting Down, Tiger The Lion maybe) OR 4 from DFN (Nautical, Grace Too, Scared, Daredevil, Fire In The Hole)
4. 4 songs from either World Container or 2 from 2 of IVL, IBE, NFPA or WATS
5. 5 from Road Apples (likely most of the songs from the album will make an appearance)
6. 3 from FC rotating selections (100th, Eldorado, Locked, Courage, FC, 50MC, Wheat Kings)
7. 2 from Trouble at the Henhouse - always ending with ABAC - maybe DWD, Springtime, Flamenco, in place of Giftshop

Of course this is just a guess

Don't forget all Hip all weekend on Northern Wish Radio - http://www.rheostaticslive.com/NWR.shtml or http://174.115.114.154:8000/listen.m3u
Duster Dave
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Duster Dave »

Fantastic video recorded of Ahead By A Century last night. Incredibly sad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46LAYEK6lu0
shauno510
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by shauno510 »

They played Gift Shop last night, but nobody has listed that one.
miles_hi
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by miles_hi »

Please please emperor penguin.
NWOntario
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by NWOntario »

I was in total Hip blackout--I blocked about fifteen Twitter feeds this morning--and then a random friend posted the setlist on Facebook. I assumed it was a mistake, so I came here, and...yeah. Wow.

And I don't know what this means for Toronto, but I'm pretty sure it means my decision to sit out Toronto 1 (I'm going to 2/3, plus Calgary 1 and Kingston) is going to be revisited.
spottrax
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by spottrax »

sherpa wrote:OK here is my guess at what the setlists might look like if the shows on the tour are structured the same as last night
1. 4 songs from Up To Here - with Opiated rotating with 38 Years old, maybe She Didn't Know
2. 4 songs from MMP - 3 of which will switch out each show with Possessed remaining for all shows
3. 4 songs from either Phantom Power (Poets and Bobcaygeon plus 2 others rotating - Escape, Chagrin Falls, Vapour Trails maybe) OR 4 songs from Music At Work (M@W with probably Lake Fever, Putting Down, Tiger The Lion maybe) OR 4 from DFN (Nautical, Grace Too, Scared, Daredevil, Fire In The Hole)
4. 4 songs from either World Container or 2 from 2 of IVL, IBE, NFPA or WATS
5. 5 from Road Apples (likely most of the songs from the album will make an appearance)
6. 3 from FC rotating selections (100th, Eldorado, Locked, Courage, FC, 50MC, Wheat Kings)
7. 2 from Trouble at the Henhouse - always ending with ABAC - maybe DWD, Springtime, Flamenco, in place of Giftshop

Of course this is just a guess

Don't forget all Hip all weekend on Northern Wish Radio - http://www.rheostaticslive.com/NWR.shtml or http://174.115.114.154:8000/listen.m3u
I was trying to come up with the formula...and had almost the exact same scenario. :thumb:
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by sean.bonner »

Any chance anyone caught some footage during The Luxury?
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Seth01
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Seth01 »

Good news! This show was recorded and will eventually get released. Both Vancouver shows are covered and we're expecting most of the shows out east to be covered too. Any tapers in Alberta or Manitoba (also SK for other shows)? If so, please contact me.
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

Thats great news. Can't wait to see them all. Won't be able to follow the Vancouver shows, getting up at 530 for work doesn't leave much time for sleep.
Seth01
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by Seth01 »

chancellor wrote:Thats great news. Can't wait to see them all.
*Audio* recordings. People that record video don't call themselves tapers. ;)
Last edited by Seth01 on Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Escape@Hand
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Escape@Hand »

Last night was my 20th Hip show, and it certainly was one to remember. When I arrived and spotted the small drum kit that was reminiscent of the kit Johnny used for the acoustic set for the WATS tour, I knew something was up, and it was going to be good. :thumb: Sure enough, the band came on, and Gord was dressed up as I've never seen him before, with his shiny pink suit, topped with his hat with a huge feather in it. It was bizarre, but hey, if you can do it, why not?

They broke into Boots or Hearts, followed by a cool acoustic rendition of NOIS, with Robbie playing a dobro, which added a pretty cool sound to the song. I've heard that song too many times to count now, and while I'd never wish to hear it again, it was a refreshing rendition. Robbie then strapped on his electric and they broke into Opiated. At this point my mind was pretty well blown and I figured it was going to be an awesome night! I really enjoyed how they focused on albums (I wonder if the FC tour helped with this concept) and played a couple of hits, as well as some deeper cuts; it made for an awesome balance, and sense of excitement as I didn't know what to expect next. It seemed as though everything in their catalogue was fair game.

The MMP poem section was probably the weakest overall; Machine was good, but I felt Possessed fell a little flat. I was looking forward to hearing that one live, thinking it would be pretty powerful, but I think the use of the smaller setup undermined the potential of that song. Also, Gord struggled with the lyrics more in this section than any other. Obviously, they are new songs and it was the first live show - never mind the cancer diagnosis and treatment - and I'm not being critical of this, just making the observation. There were a few times throughout the night where he stumbled, and even just sang "na na na" to the melody, but he did get stronger as things went on, so hopefully as the tour progress he won't have as many miscues. That being said, considering the circumstances, I'm just gratefully he is out touring - it seemed very evident to me that the band is doing this tour for us fans, as much as for themselves. Even though Gord didn't interact with the audience as he has in the past (he seemed more focused on just singing, which is fine), there was certainly a connection, and I think, imho, the fact that they are pulling out all of these rarities is a nod to the fact that this is probably it.

After they finished with the MMP section, they took a quick break, setting the stage up for the "full" band set; they ripped through the PP set, with Something On being a highlight for me. I saw them for the second time on the PP tour in January 1999, and haven't heard that song since, so that was a cool surprise. The WC set was good too, with Family Band being my favourite. One thing that was really cool was how the videos would highlight the album cover of that particular set; during Something On, when he says the line "Black out to Phantom Power", the album cover came up on the screen, and there were similar moments for WC and RA. I really like the understated use of the lights and video screen; it made for a more intimate feeling, even though it was in an arena.

The RA set was really great - having them break out Gems, which I've only heard once, and The Luxury, which I've never heard, were standout moments (The Luxury in particular). However, the highlight of the whole night was during the FC set, with, of all songs, Wheat Kings. While I've heard that song numerous times, and it's not one of my favourites (although it's not bad, by any means), there was an incredible video that went along with the song. The video was a mixture of news clips from when he was in prison, and when he got released, as well as a tour of an old prison. It was incredibly poignant and moving, and I've never experienced anything like that before in a concert.

After the FC set, the band all came to the front of the stage and were hugging Gord, and then they all left, so that Gord could get the applause he deserves. I thought that was going to be the end of the night, but they came back and did Giftshop and ABAC, with Robbie playing a new intro.

All in all, I couldn't have asked for more. I went in expecting a straight ahead "Yer Favourites" show, and got something totally different. I loved how they opened with the acoustic set - that came out of left field and offered a refreshing spin on some old tunes. They completely skipped my favourite album (DFN), and this is still one of my favourite shows that I've seen. I'm so excited for the fans across the country, and I'm really looking forward to my next two shows in Ottawa and Kingston. I'm really wishing I could manage to following them across the country! I guess being at the Kingston show should suffice, and I'm sure that will be a barn-burner. I have to say that I'm very thankful that Gord has worked so hard so that us fans can enjoy him and the music of the Hip for (what I'm assuming is) one last tour. He didn't need to do that, and I'm grateful for it. What and awesome band!
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

sean.bonner wrote:Any chance anyone caught some footage during The Luxury?
https://soundcloud.com/bryan_caetano/th ... ictoria-bc
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
magmazing
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by magmazing »

I think I have video of The Luxury. I have audio of the whole show as well.

Might be a few days before I post. Shooting a music festival right now.
floridahip
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by floridahip »

Just came to the realization that, while gord has worn hats on many occasions. Recently the bald pate has been a staple at concerts, and of course the hankies (which btw I never saw one) I think we will not see him without one this whole tour. He might be hiding the scar from surgery. That being said, I'm digging the pimp hat! Kept thinking of the movie Night Shift and Henry Winkler getting his pimp hat.
magmazing
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by magmazing »

'The Luxury'... in 4K... enjoy.