2016-07-22 - Victoria, British Columbia

srb
Completist
Completist

Re: 2016-07-22 - Victoria, British Columbia

Post by srb »

A fantastic setlist....the kind we hipbase fans have been wanting to see for a while.

Surprised by the absence of so many album representations, but looking forward to see how the tour unfolds.

Best news is that Gord looks & sounds great, and can't wait for the Ontario stops!
HandsInTheRiver41
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by HandsInTheRiver41 »

Just catching up on the set list now! So disappointed I wasn't in my hometown tonight :(
But wow, I'm excited for this tour. Amazing to see Gord doing this. The album "runs" throughout this set are interesting. And most importantly ---- LUXURY :what
TTH: Vancouver 2004 | Victoria 2007 (x2) | Victoria 2009 (x2) | Solana Beach 2009 | Los Angeles 2009 | Victoria 2012 |
Portland, OR 2012 | Toronto #2 & #3 2016 || GD: Victoria 2010 | Montréal 2014
tfoe
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by tfoe »

Beaned a bottle of wine and watched the entire show via Periscope! Thanks to all the scopes. That setlist has to be the best in a very long time. Long Time was the song of the night for me I think. Next up is 2 nights in Vancouver and I'll be at both shows... Bring it on.
srb
Completist
Completist

Post by srb »

Found this on the facebook page...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Moosehead
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Moosehead »

Random observations.

Gord didn't directly address the "elephant in the room" but thanked everyone for all the years.
The "St. Peter" line in Opiated got some reaction from the crowd around me and I think from Gord too. In NOIS, he started with the "look into your dark eyes above" alternate lyric, then switched back to the standard "Lord" lyric and gave a sarcastic sounding (to me anyway) "hey man, thanks."

Lonely End of the Rink was dedicated to his father, who is gone now, because "shit happens."

Long Time Running and ABAC were pretty emotional.

ABAC had a new intro by Robby?

Looooong intro to Last of the Unplucked Gems - I see this is a "Gord break" on the posted set list. Maybe this will be a continuing thing.

Drunk guy near me says that nobody knows the song Family Band and Gord can do better. Then he cheers for In View. I'll admit though that Family Band didn't do much for the crowd and In View got more energy (it is kind of catchy...)

Interesting that they are grouping the songs by album. They take a bit more time to swap instruments but it works out as a nice trip down memory lane. Not sure if the Periscope stuff showed it but they had some graphics of the album covers.

I could have done with less Fully Completely and more DFN. :) The last tour kind of covered it for me.
Lizard King
The Last Recluse

Post by Lizard King »

Gord looks great and Opiated!!

Yes, bring that to London please..I cant wait.
Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Duster Dave
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Duster Dave »

Complete shocker of a set list. I really love this format for the tour going forward and can't wait to see which albums are used and left off every show. To me, this is a big thank you to the dedicated fans. A lot of these people who paid big money just so they can say they've seen The Hip will be a bit disappointed but screw them. I'll be at the Hamilton show on August 16 and I have my fingers crossed for some deep tracks from Day For Night, Phantom Power and In Between Evolution.

I've never used this Periscope thing but I'll have to get on it for the remainder of the tour. Nothing posted on youtube yet, anyone have any full songs videos? Also looking forward to some concert reviews from local newspapers etc.

Very pleasantly surprised with the first set list, a great way to kick off a long goodbye.
Corpse
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Corpse »

Nice set list Looking forward to Hamilton. Damn I don't want them to end......
miasmal
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Post by miasmal »

Encouraged to see the boys play a longer show. Some great surprises - Opiated - and a bit surprised that some albums were completely ignored but making everyone happy especially with such a huge catalogue isn't easy.

In the end, I'll be happy with whatever we get in Hamilton, the only show I have tix for.

It must have been an emotional night for a lot of fans. When you've recovered I'd love to hear more about the show - sound, vibe, interaction with the crowd, overall thoughts, reviews etc... Thanks to those who have already done so.
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

I really like this format of shows. Picking albums and play 4 tunes from. Should get some interesting songs like opiated. It really mixes up the order of the tunes like Blow so early in the night
Lizard King
The Last Recluse

Post by Lizard King »

chancellor wrote:I really like this format of shows. Picking albums and play 4 tunes from. Should get some interesting songs like opiated. It really mixes up the order of the tunes like Blow so early in the night
Its very cool, has me even more excited for London. I hope its totally random from show to show.
Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
trevor
Completist
Completist

Post by trevor »

Lizard King wrote:I hope its totally random from show to show.
Maybe they can finally do something like this because Gord has a teleprompter now? Did he in fact have one?
thedarkcanuck
Completist
Completist

Post by thedarkcanuck »

HIPLVR wrote:We missed Eldorado here.

And I think they're saving DFN for another encore or another city :)

please go(r)d, let this be edmonton!
7/17/95-Craven
11/18/96-Saskatoon
7/21/97-Saskatoon
9/16/00-Winnipeg
11/24/00-Red Deer
07/14/02-Camrose
9/26/02-Edmonton
9/27/02-Edmonton
8/1/03-Kelowna
6/22/04-Edmonton
11/17/04-Edmonton
11/20/04-Saskatoon
10/28/06-Calgary
1/19/07-Regina
7/18/07-Saskatoon
6/22/08-Calgary
8/4/09-Saskatoon
9/14/09-Edmonton
9/19/09-Banff
7/14/11-Edmonton
1/23/13-Edmonton
7/6/13-Saskatoon
10/10/15-Houston
7/28/16-Edmonton
7/30/16-Edmonton
8/01/16-Calgary
Kincher
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by Kincher »

What a show and what a rollercoaster of emotions it was. I have to say thank you to hypnotherapist for hooking me up with a couple of tickets after being shut out in all the releases for this show - and what great seats they were side stage on Rob's side and eye level with the band. Also got to see the show with my sister we saw her first hip show together in '99 and after doing many shows separately in between we were able to catch this one together. When she picked me up from the airport in Vancouver I jumped in the car and CBC Radio 2 Morning Show was on the radio and Tom Power announced that it was a big day for hip fans across the country and played Boots and Hearts.

On to the show - great opening with UTH material in a semi-acoustic format Boots was a fantastic way to start the show, followed by New O, then the big surprise Opiated and Blow. I thought it was interesting they had New O and Blow out of the way within the first 4 songs then they rolled into the MMP portion of the set. The crowd mellowed for this portion but I thought it was fantastic and loved hearing the new material especially machine live and then they left the stage while a thunderstorm rolled through on the screens and speakers. At this point I was wondering if this would be a short show with a couple of sets like the first one.

They rolled out PP and WC sets next again the crowd was really into the PP material and then a little quieter for the WC. A few times through these songs Gord stumbled with lyrics and had to recover with the prompters which were on all sides of the stage. Lonely End of the Rink was probably the most candid possible acknowledgement of the situation as he dedicated it to his Dad then stated "but he's gone now, shit happens." There were other moments where i am certain he changed up some lyrics slightly and put emphasis on spots in songs that felt like they had deeper meaning but that that also could just have been my interpretation given the situation.

Longer jam heading into RA songs with Last of the Unplucked Gems then into the Luxury which was amazing, Little Bones, then Long time running. Long time really was really well received by the crowd. Then jumped into Twist and left the stage again. Came back for the Fully set of which Eldorado was the highlight for me. They left the stage again and then came back with the Gift Shop and finally Ahead by A Century. That last stretch was neat because they left between each album set said goodnight and then came back out.

The set list arrangement is amazing and I hope it stays kept us guessing once they rolled into a new album about what the options were and what they might pull out. We had a blast and the band was playing really well and having a lot of fun up there.

Can't wait to see what they pull out for Vancouver #1 on Sunday - my last show of this tour and possibly ever if it is the last tour. I had the thought after the show that it could be a very different setlist given the material they avoided last night.
shauno510
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by shauno510 »

My girl and I arrived from San Francisco in the afternoon yesterday. Yes there are Hip fans down south. Very emotional show. I've only seen a handful of shows and had to North. Lots of highs and emotions, myself and others definitely teared up.

I made a pack with my seat neighbors that we wouldn't sit down and stand for the whole show. We were in section 113 about 7 rows up from the floor DFS. Here's a little video that shows the energy but with crappy sound. I hope you enjoy.

Canada you have a real treasure here and it's not lost on this guy who saw them for the first time in Southern California at the Whiskey a go go on the fabulous Sunset Strip back in 1993.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7w2kqlm9qvz0r ... M.mov?dl=0

I hope you all get to see a show on this tour.

God bless.