2002-09-01 - Darien Lake Music Theatre - Buffalo, NY

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

coolcatmissy
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

2002-09-01 - Darien Lake Music Theatre - Buffalo, NY

Post by coolcatmissy »

Just got back from Darien Lake, great show. Setlist:

Use It Up
New Orleans Is Sinking
Chagrin Falls
Fully Completely
Grace, Too
Lake Fever
Silver Jet
Courage
Vapour Trails
It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
At The Hundredth Meridian (Simple Things, Life Is Forgetting.)
Scared
Locked In The Trunk Of A Car
Ahead By A Century
Dire Wolf
Poets (Don't tell me.......Don't tell me........Okay, tell me.)
Blow At High Dough

Bobcaygeon
All Tore Up
Little Bones

The Wherewithall

Nice to see a second encore. Pretty cool show, though I couldn't see half the time! The crowd was awesome, everybody on their feet dancing and singing from the get-go. Still wishing for Emperor Penguin.....someday. Ah well, so ends my Tragically Hip summer experience!
Drez7
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by Drez7 »

WOW!! What can be said, great show....crowd was so much fun! Till Syracuse, Oct. 5th...If anyone gets a boot of this show, audio or video, would love a copy, throw me an email...g'night.

Mike D.
eags
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by eags »

here is my story, the show will be on the FTP soon~~~

Wow!! Great show last night, it was a beautiful night, we arrived at the venue around 4:00. Hung out in the lot tailgating with some other hips fans. All in all a good time, really cool crowd last night. The show was awesome, the band seemed to really be on. A few surprises in the setlist. I was surprised to hear vapour trails, and they played scared and locked back to back. Gord dedicated scared to Amy, saying she was his inspiration? they finished off with Blow at high dough, then came out with a strong encore of Bobcaygeon, all tore up, little bones. Then they came back out for 1 more and played the wherewithal (not sure but i think for the first time this tour?) Fantastic night, I am nursing a bit of a hang over today. I saw a bunch of video tapers probably 5, I only saw 1 audio besides myself, I am previewing my copy now, pretty good for my first crack a little run through cool edit and it should be great, I will work on it and get it out soon. Take care

Sean

setlist in order:

Use it up
NOIS
Chagrin Falls
Fully Completely
Grace, Too
Lake Fever
Silver Jet
Courage
Vapour Trails
Weaken
100th meridian
Scared
ABAC
Dire wolf
Poets
Blow

encore 1
BobCayeon
All tore up
little bones

encore 2
the wherewithal
Last edited by eags on Mon Sep 02, 2002 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
coolcatmissy
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by coolcatmissy »

Sweetness. Thanks eags. Now to find the Cleveland show!
kari
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by kari »

Just to add my review two cents...

Amazing show. We got there around 5:30, and were
fortunate enough to have VIP parking priviledges, so
we shared some brewskies with other Hipsters in the
gated area (which was nice for restroom accomodations
- did you notice that outside of the gate, in the main
parking area, there were only like 4 port-a-potties??
Unreal). Anywho, finally waltzed into the venue
part-way through the Wayne set. They sounded pretty
good.

Definite highlights of the show (besides being second
row, baby!!!!) was seeing Gord's facial expressions.
Also, I didn't realise this from the last two shows
I've seen on this tour, but he's gained some weight.
He's looking good. Also, he was wearing jeans,
something you don't see very often. Didn't think to
bring a camera, because I thought they weren't
permitted, but I did see quite a few people
videotaping and holding regular cameras as well.
Bummer, would have made for some sweet shots being so
close.

Langlois was pretty mellow (status quo, I should
say)...but noticed he didn't enjoy a cigarette for the
show this time around. Gord S and Robbie were almost
joined at the hip (no pun intended, haha) for most of
the show. They were bang-on! And as always, Johnny
looked like he was in pain playing the drums. He
always goes balls out.

Poets was probably another highlight for me, the drum
riffs in it were amazing. I loved this version!!
Anyone else agree with me??

The only downfall about being so close to the stage at
Darien is that the sound was SOOOOOOO LOUD!!!! I
couldn't believe it. None of Gord's singing was
muffled, because it was a solid sound system, but it
was hard to make out his Gord-isms being that close. I
would have loved to be on the lawn for some of them, I
know the sound was likely better back there. I
couldn't hear for a few hours after the show, but it
was worth it!!

Was great to see a second encore, albeit one song. I
wasn't expecting that. But the crowd was great, we
deserved the encore.

Gord opened the show dedicating it to Amy (????) as
his inspiration, which was pretty cool. I was hoping
he'd open with wishing me a happy birthday, but no
such luck, hehe.

Very impressed with the show. Gord did quote a bit of
maneovering throughout it. I swear he looks like Gumby
sometimes. Loved his impression of the double chicken
walk he did early on in the show (if you were there,
you know what I'm talking about).

Very cool show. Very cool. Cannot wait to see them in
Orlando now, I'm stoked!

Kari
eags
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by eags »

I was in the VIP lot also, that is great, no line to get in no security hassles, we had a group of 15 a purple van and a green explorer.
kari
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by kari »

Oh man, didn't realise you were there also. It was nice! We were close to the fence (facing the incoming traffic road), about 4 cars in. There were about 10 of us. If you saw a girl walking around in a white "In Violet Light" shirt with darker hair (in a ponytail), that was me! I loved only having to wait 3 minutes to get into the porta-potty! :)

The only downer, there was a car parked beside us with some girls that were cranking U2 songs. Seemed really weird at a Hip concert. So we just drowned them out with our Hip songs.

Kari
coolcatmissy
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by coolcatmissy »

One more thing: For the last two days I've had Wayne music stuck in my head!! Wayne music!! Where there should be Hip music!! Aagh!
hipkid33
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by hipkid33 »

Along with myself, sounds like everybody had a blast. One of the best in recent memories! I am still wishing for Last American Exit though. Couldn't have asked for better seats, sec100 row10, well maybe. :wink: Someone please fill me in on the VIP parking, how, when, where... We usually park at the driving range across the street, ($5!!) easy in, easy out, all back roads until that light before the thruway @ rt.77. We got there at 4 and there were a dozen or so cars there already. Fire up the grill, pop open a few cold Rocks and crank up the tunes!

Cheers!

Chad
kari
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by kari »

We didn't have to pay for parking at Darien at all, even before we showed our VIP parking pass. Maybe if you pay for the concert ticket, you get free parking priviledges?? Mostly people with suites at Darien, or have season tickets there, etc...they get the VIP parking passes. It's right behind the stage, and you don't have to wait in the huge lines of people to walk into the venue. It was wonderful!! We took the backroads all the way home (Broadway Ave all the way), and had zero traffic. The thruway would have been a nightmare!!
eags
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by eags »

Yeah my wife works for the sabres, they gave her the VIP parking pass, it is nice you are quick in and out, we were back in downtown Buffalo by midnight. I guess only people with the boxes and radio winners get to park there, I want to know how all these people get the backstage passes? :?:
thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

Buffalo: The Washroom Break & Backstage Review!

Post by thecompletist »

I wrote this the day after Buffalo... for the Henhouse and forgot to throw it here also...

2 friends and I rolled into Darien Lake just after 5pm with beer in hand. Finally after 3 check-ins for tickets Sean snagged our pair which was coming from a friend of a friend who we hadn't met before but was connected with the Band! - we were told these would be good ........ and as we checked....the winner is..... SEC 401...? You gotta be Fu$%&*G kidding ? ... it ended up being a mistake and we hooked up with the guy and not only did he exchange out 401's for 101's .....they came with "backstage passes".....and ...can it get any better?? YES - its all COMP! No cost to us! - I truly felt Gords vocals were very clear at Darien and it seemed his tonality was even better than usual....One rule I usually adhere to at any concert....especially a TTH show is no breaks if at all possible.... I don"t like missing songs.... well one washroom break turned into us getting a beer and saw non of Vapour Trails, Weaken, 100th and Scared... man that is alm! ! ! ost a 25% of the show! Then on the way back to our seats we stopped to visit our friends who got the 401's we originally had. Talking with people that far back we missed alot of Locked, ABAC & Wolf.... then back to our Seats for the last couple of songs which Bobby actually moved passed Gord S at one point and was in front of the Drum Kit.....never seeen him that far left. I missed Dark Canuck & Darkest One but ALL TORE UP was a nice surprise as well as The Wherewithal !

We were one of the first to get the after show party which turned out not to be a party....no food, no drinks....nothing but WAITING... "the waiting is the hardest part" I have been backstage before at shows and wasn't totally surprised that there were 100 people or so...... Johnny arrived first did a few pictures and stuff and Gord S was next.... his oldest son Kile is only a inch shorter than him now at 13 with blond spiked hair. He introduced him to someone beside us. Mr. Langlois came in next with a pack of Marlboros and a glass of red wine. Although I saw Bobby's wife ...he wasn't around... Downies's wife was also there and 1 or 2 of there daughters ...as Downie came in last with red flip-flops, his baseball cap and was surrounded fast....smiling, joking and signing everything including the guy who had a Yamaha 12 string acoustic signed by everyone....I think he may have been a Sabre or some other Hockey player.

In 1998 I had a Wooden Guitar Pick made with the initials R.B. on it and never had a chance to hand it to Bobby myself even though I had been to many small shows and been right up front..... It looked like Bobby wasn't coming and it had been at least an hour or more so I walked over to Paul Langlois and introduced myself... (wishing the initials were PL now) I told him this Pick was made out of Indian Rosewood and sounded great on an Acoustic Guitar...I had it made for Baker and could he give it to him? PAul said sure..... this is pretty cool as he examined it...and then he dropped it...I quickly said no...don't throw it away....please get it to him....with a smile he said no problem.. I apologized for interupting and said I had to get going.....he siad cheers and nodded......As we headed out of the tent and were half way out of the backstage area we were walking head on with Gord Sinclair and one of his sons.....So we of course! ! ! said "hey Gord great show tonight, we really enjoyed it"... he turned slightly slowing down and said "Thanks alot guys ...glad you like it "...... with a big smile and a nod !

Needless to say we will be dropping a box of beer off at our new friends house as a thank you for the free TIX & passes. Then follow that up by asking about upcoming possibilities for Theatre Shows....? (Some others we ran into confirmed the Hummingbird Toronto Shows)

Jeffro's Road Rules ::: If at all possible plan to be at your seat for the entire show. If you must leave...pick a song you have seen live 40_+ times.... not one where you miss Paul singing "Now the mornin’s over, it’s time to let those sprinklers hose"