2002-06-12 - Hard Rock Cafe - Toronto, ON

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

thecompletist
Sherpa
Sherpa

2002-06-12 - Hard Rock Cafe - Toronto, ON

Post by thecompletist »

What they have done with the Hard Rock Cafe on Yonge St. is truly amazing....

Security is tight as the contest winners stroll proudly by me and the 6 other Hip fans who showed up to support and see maybe if they could get inside... the biggest band over the last decade in Canada and other than those invited we had a 7 fans outside..mmm.. It probably helped us as Todlyn chatted with his connection and we over heard a few groups had not shown... " Are you a fan" the guy asks me... pulling out 2 HIPCLUB cards I giggle saying 50+ plus shows sir ."..and are you on the Henhouse" hells ya "Jeffro"..... well our next standing position at 8:50pm was in front of the Sound Board.

Ok....I have been to some small shows before like Crowbar, Penn State. but this was like an Indie band releasing their 1st crack at career. Head count was 250... including contest winners from the radio, Hip Club and some Universal folks... then there is Todlyn and I represent'in the HH... truth is they should have bussed all of you into the Club above Q107 last night and we would have enjoyed a few intelligent questions that didn't have clear answers on the website for the last 3 weeks.....you all no how to USE IT UP ....lit off the show very well with even some-not-so-hip fans grooving immediately...to Johnny's drum machine..and GordS's base-clinic. Downie presented the lyrics confidently and his voice shined thru on the this one...ARE YOU READY is that first song on the CD i think I might skip to go to a favourite but I never do... and live the haunting guitars come blasting down the isles like a Rock song with legs...... IT's A GOOD LIFE's ... Pink Floyd feel...with Bobby tickling his music-box is taken over with Paul shy stepping up to his mic which seemed to have that extra bit of volume we all hope for at a hip show..and more momentum blew in with what I think are some of the best lyrics on IVL.... "get life day-to-day".... with a small commercial break a few wandered right up front and got pictures taken with Gord D , and eventually Bobby and Gord S.. chatted with a few cameras.. Paul with his "no collar-robert plant" shirt was tuning his guitar alone and would glance up briefly every few seconds... heck with us standing at the back only 25 feet away... I threw my thumbs-up with a nod and Paul looked right at Todlyn & I and waved nodding back. I hadn't quite warmed up to SILVER-JET like many had but as Gord put his guitar down ...and edged toward the front of the small ship they called a stage this tune was clearly a favourite of the boys and all the gregory ! ! ! peck fans....my heart jumped too! THROWING OFF GLASS was apparently one of Downie's fav's to perform... an interesting song...that I am not sold on personally yet... Now for a another "get the fans on their feet Rock jam...THE DIRE WOLF was all I had hoped for...with the lyrics leading the way "Isle aux Morts" ..again a guitar riff that grabs you like a tough guy would ...look for PAUL on this one...his groove was coming out nicely and then bobby plays right back at him... Gord S. bounces proudly and smiles because of what "his band" is providing us...he knows it's a... BEAUTIFUL THING and this one is what it is ........ a simple feel good tune that Paul & Sinclair add some great back up followed up with Bobby's tribute to Clapton...trust me you'll be singing along to this one...continuing...Now a phone-question is asked about what is the next NOIS type song that may show signs of a jam-fest...enter --->THE DARK CANUCK ..."you c! ! ! an cast your doubts" but this one folks live may "Turn em inside out"...I ate it up....mmmm at the 3minute mark it changes pace and really begind to ROCK.....no gord has no wood strapped on to himself on this one ..he is free-stylin...and his team is taking the music ship to a new speed!! The potential here is something i can't write about - see it for yourself...how about some early 90's Hip...come on in .. THE DARKEST ONE - ok...the guitar-blend here reminded me of the UTH days... a great grooving track that has that Little Bones ending.....LEAVE Another power house that i once again I didn't purchase 100%...and after hearing it last night i have grown to Love...to Love...to Love - downie experiments here with his voice...and it works! Sold ! The video guy beside us was from the Hip club and said video clips would be going up after editing !!! - Tonights the night, Tonight " We're gonna go out and get ALL TORE UP.... play yer Tonight's-the Nights Right......! ! ! man this song....this night ..was there ever any doubt Todlyn asked...me "Na...." there really wasn't are you all listening to this last song they played with me as i type this for you future IVL addicts..???? Tonight's.....well all sweaty and satisfied like I'm 7 on Dec 25th..... take a gander at the word play in this diddy..." Drink up folks it's getting on time to close"......or is it ... Camera's off.. LAKE FEVER - Hurry-Hurray.... the group now begins to stand & sing the more familiar... the band feeds off of this....did the sound guy push the volume..... again PAUL steps up and I swear opened his mouth while singing...with his smoke... a few on his side of the room stand and cheer... with his part..in this play...... - now its Mr. Bakers turn to take us out with a POETS...guitar-jam.... between Gordie's poses and frowning brow....almost an hour & 45 min.... the MUSICAL-SAUNA release party has ended... a couple of Beer with "dude" who a! ! ! ssisted us in (thanks again)..and a few stories of old and talk of the New.... you know.... you know....

ARE YOU READY .......

JeFFro
8)
mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

Post by mrlayance »

Wow, Sounds like another amazing Hip experience. I wish I lived in the GTA. I will add the setlist to the database tonight now that I know the venue.