2002-09-23 - Southern Alberta Jubilee - Calgray, AB

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2002-09-23 - Southern Alberta Jubilee - Calgray, AB

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

Gord "John Travolta" Downie!!!!

What a show!!

It's Monday Night at 11:30pm

Just got in the Door here's a quick recap .....

Use
Music New O
Escape!!!
Um.....
Nautical
Dire Wolf
Bobcaygeon
Weaken

Gord was animated!! He did this clock move followed by a pose that was reminacent of John Travolta a la Saturday Night Fever THe band was awesome!

Encore was:
Longtime Running
Freak Turbulance
and Fire in the Hole

don't quote me, but this is from memory.

The Back stage lighting was all "stars" it was amazing.

Talk to a gentleman who video taped the show, said he was attending every show. More of a review and Pictures will be posted on my website soon.

Thanks. It was electrifying.
sherpahigh
Completist
Completist

Post by sherpahigh »

Don't know if you'll read this in time, but I was just wondering how it was to take a camara in. No hassle? I'm going to be there tonight in the front row and would love to get some shots of the band up close. I won't have a vehicle to put the camara in though if they won't let me in with it.

rw
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

don't worry I saw tripods, video, flash phots. THE HIP ARE COOL with this.
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

FYI: my pictures didn't turn out, I'll about 4 on my website. :?
sherpahigh
Completist
Completist

Post by sherpahigh »

Yeah, I took my camara in. I took a couple rolls of film, hopefully some of them turn out cause there were some great photo's to be had from the front row.

There were camaras, video camaras and recorders everywhere last night as well.

rw
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

OK here's the show.

It was a magical night, Can't remember the setlist but It'll be up at thehip.com anyway.

The back drop for the stage was "a wall of stars" Every expression on the band's face's were unforgettable so clear, even from the 23rd row. Hundredth Meridain/Friends are not Forgetting, was beautiful, it was played so fast and so loud it was classic. Long Time running was sung sooo personally from Gord, his expessions really put him in the song, as it was sung in the first person perspective. This great move a la John Travolta was hilarious!! GORD you are Awesome!!

It was great to have seats with a perspective which I could see all the band members, Johnny back on the trap was powerful as always. Putting all enthusiasm into the drums listing each song to a new height. Paul, Paul Paul, Paul was grovin' way like I've never seen, He's turned a new leaf I think into the new era. Gord Sinclair head bobbing, and Robby played great as well keeping in touch with the fans, smiling and interacting with the fans.

It was a mystcal feeling to see the boys silouetted in shadows on the side wall, like giants.

I was happy to hear Escape is at hand for the travelin' man & Freaked Turbulance. The only critism is that Fire in the Hole didn't go over to well as a closer, I love that song, but in a theatre setting, it was too much. In a festival setting Like at Stage13 would have been insane! (in a good way!)

All in all it was the BEST performance I've seen, the band was well balanced playing TIGHT, but with enough room, by adding a Jam in Hundredth Meridian, and Prolonging NOIS.

Mountain HIP

For a few pictures coming soon visit my website.

Add: Southern Jubilee 2002 to my list!
chris
The Last Recluse

Re: 2002-09-23 - Southern Alberta Jubilee - Calgray, AB

Post by chris »