2002-09-24 - Southern Alberta Jubilee - Calgray, AB

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2002-09-24 - Southern Alberta Jubilee - Calgray, AB

Post by mrlayance »

Post Review
sherpahigh
Completist
Completist

Post by sherpahigh »

This was my ninth hip show not counting the two times I've seen Mr. Downie with the Dinner is Ruined. The show at the Jubilee on Tuesday was by far the best hip show I've ever been to. The venue was perfect for them, I was in the front row just to the left of center in front of Paul but from any seat in that place you can clearly see the stage and more importantly everything and everyone on it. The sound was also amazing in the Jubilee.

Sam Roberts opened up with a great set and got everyone pumped up for the big show. Don't be late to the show!! It's well worth it to get there on time to see Sam Roberts.

There were cameras and recorders everywhere in the crowd. One guy had a camera set up on a tripod about 4 rows back in the center. I'd love to get a copy of that if I could. I took about 36 pictures on my 35mm and about half of them turned out. First time taking pictures at a show so I didn't know what to expect.

Anyway, the show itself was amazing. The guys seemed to be having a great time, smiling and feeding off each other. Gord S. was really rocking it out more than I've seen him before. Gord Downie was up to his usual antics dancing around like only Gord can. At one point he Gord skipped ahead a bit and started saying something like "it wouldn't be a hip show whithout a disapearance... this is 50 - mission cap." Paul had this really confused look on his face and Gord just started laughing and said "did you see the look on his face!? Hahaha...beautiful" or something along those lines and then they went into beautiful thing. Classic Gord. Inevitability of Death was a highlight for me as was Beautiful thing, Dire Wolf, Vapor trails, Wheat Kings was beautiful with the backdrop of stars, and the Wherewithal was a great closer.

All in all it was an amazing show. Those of you that are going to the upcoming shows are in for a treat. These smaller venues were made for hip shows. You people south of the border that are used to seeing them in such venues are extremly lucky. I'd be completly content to only see hip shows in these small venues from now on.

rw
chris
The Last Recluse

Re: 2002-09-24 - Southern Alberta Jubilee - Calgray, AB

Post by chris »