2002-10-19 - Coca-Cola Roxy Theatre - Atlanta, GA

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2002-10-19 - Coca-Cola Roxy Theatre - Atlanta, GA

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
Bruno
New Maybe
New Maybe

Atlanta CocaCola Roxy Theater....

Post by Bruno »

I flew from Minneapolis to Detroit to join up with my sister and we
proceeded to fly to Atlanta for last nights show at the Coca-Cola Roxy
Theater. We got into the area (Buckhead) early and were able to have a
leisurely paced dinner at a local BBQ joint.

At 7pm we proceeded to the theater where we had a short wait before they opened the doors. We reviewed the Merchandise wares and I picked up a T-shirt that has tour cities on it. We noted that the entire place was not in Theater seating anymore but rather the main floor was just that--for standing. We turned and looked up to the balcony and saw it was all seats up there. Since I'm short and usually get a poor view on the floor, we went to the balcony and a front row seat up there. We waited for "Wayne" to start at about 8:10pm.

"Wayne" was one of the better warm-ups I've seen for the Hip. (CB&KF are awesome) They are from Birmingham, AL and are a 4 piece band. The lead singer sounds like Adam ? of Counting Crows. I liked when they sang with some harmonies. They had some nice Rickenbacker guitars. My big complaint was the mix on the bass guitar was SO loud that it muddied everything else. All original material. Good drummer bashing away. They seemed pretty tight with nothing rough detectable to me. Some of the songs had a nice big, rich sound. I will probably track down their CD.

The Hip came on at 9:15 and played for an hour and a half. GREAT SHOW!

Possibly the best show that I've seen (10+). Great versions. Great Mix.
Best sound I've heard yet. Everything was balanced perfectly. Good energy. Lighting was generally good--but there were too many occasions of lighting all the lights on the crowd. It was maddening after awhile--what, did they want my epilepsy to come back?

Here's the set list:
Silver Jet ("Marconi's way" and rant about what Marconi accomplished at
Cape Spear)
New Orleans is Sinking
Grace, Too
Are You Ready (fast)
Puttin' Down
Fully Completely
Bobcaygeon
Use it Up
Courage
Vapour Trails (Gord S.'s bass particularly rich)
Good Life if you Don't Weaken
Poets (extended jam w/rant at end)
Springtime in Vienna
Beautiful Thing
100th Meridian (fast jam w/rant at end "Is Life Forgetting" repeated)
Blow at High Dough

Encore:
Music @ Work
Scared (beautiful)
Little Bones

Several songs were played 5-10% slower than I recall on the studio versions. The funky and chunkier rhythm became more obvious and I thought it really added to the versions. Vapour Trails and Poets come to mind. What a band. How tight. Just rolled from song to song. Made the classics sound as good as ever. I like that Gord changed or delayed some of his delivery on several refrains or classic passages. Not sure of the purpose, but it makes the "choir" out of synch with him--thereby highlighting what HE is doing. And it makes the songs still interesting after all these years.

They finished at 10:45pm. When I go to a Hip show, I go with the intention of dancing the whole thing through. I was front row in the balcony and around the third song, I realized that I was the only one standing (and I was in the front row). Since I was probably blocking someones view, I decided to go over to the side of the balcony to dance for the remainder. I still had a pretty good view. What I can't understand is how somebody could go to a Hip show and sit through the whole thing :-) . Most of the Balcony crowd did not dance for this one. Oh Well, I did and had a blast.

I had a great time and am looking forward to the Dallas and Austin shows.

As always, if there is good audio of this Atlanta show, then of course, I'll
be interested :-)