2002-11-14 - Loft - Berlin, GER

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2002-11-14 - Loft - Berlin, GER

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
MattGE
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by MattGE »

This was my first Hip concert, but hopefully not my last. I could not believe the intamacy of it. I don't think there were more than 200 people at "The Loft"! :shock: My wife and I met a few cool Canadians that were traveling Europe and together we all watched from the front row. Originally from South Carolina, I'm not the average hip fan, but I honestly don't think there is a better band out there and I have held that opinion since I first saw them on SNL a long time ago.
Anyway, back to the show... They opened up with Use it Up. They played it with high energy and I couldn't have thought of a better opener. Gord kept the crowd energized throughout the entire show. They didn't waste any time getting to the next song. Unfortunately It felt like it went really fast, but maybe that's because I enjoyed it so much. I really looked forward to them playing their new songs, since I have memorized the entire IVL word-for-word. They played the "If I die of vanity..promise me" portion of the Hundredth Meridian at a super fast pace which I thought was really good. They also played Music@Work at double speed halfway through. I'll spare you the rest of the details and end with the list of songs played that night. My wife grabbed the setlist from one of the roadies at the end. All in all, it was the best concert of my life and unfortunately I don't think there will ever be one to top it since I was right there in front and the room was so small (It really was a loft). If I could change only one thing it would be that they played "Leave". Everybody else was chanting for "Wheat Kings" inbetween songs, but they never played it. I felt that if I yelled "Leave", everyone would have looked at me like I was stupid. :oops: Other than that, the hotel I randomly booked 2 weeks in advance was only a 5 minute walk to the concert. Here is the setlist as read:
Use
Grace
Music
New O
Set
Bob C
Nautical
Down
Good life
Meridian
Gift
Wolf
ABAC
Poets
Blow

The highlights of the show were "In A Good Life.." and "Nautical Disaster". After some "hip! hip! hip!" cheering from the crowd, they came back out and played:
Eldorado
All Tore Up
and Fire

If any of those wonderful people we met that night come across this post, please get in contact with us and send some pictures of the concert. Maybe we can do it again next time :D