2002-12-30 - Copps Coliseum - Hamilton, ON

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2002-12-30 - Copps Coliseum - Hamilton, ON

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

Date: December 30th, 2002
Venue: Copps Coliseum
City: Hamilton Ontario

Setlist:

Use It Up
Music at Work
New Orleans is Sinking
Fully Completely
Chagrin Falls
Nautical Disaster
Are You Ready
Fireworks
Poets
It’s A Good Life if You Don’t Weaken
Springtime in Vienna
At The Hundredth Meridian
Wheat Kings
Locked in the Trunk of a Car
Silver Jet
Blow at High Dough

Encore:
Grace, Too
Lake Fever
Three Pistols

Well what a night that was. I met so many awesome people tonight. The pre-show party with the Practically Hip had a great turn out. They really got the grove going and everyone pumped for a great night of hip. If I forget anyone, then I totally apologize, but it was great meeting, Josh and his buddy in the black shirt, Angie and NewPort as well as PRZ(can’t remember his first name) from hipbase and his fellow buddies whom I sat beside at the show. It was also good seeing Owen, Matty, Jeffro, Andre and his girlfriend and his die-hard hip buddy as well. Highlights of the pre-hip party were Josh winning tickets and accommodations for the 31st show by doing his crazy Gordie impression on the dance floor. He certainly had me laughing!!

Showtime!! Sam Roberts totally kicked some ass tonight. I can’t remember the name of the song, but one just seemed to get louder and faster and louder and faster and the whole band was just rolling around, head banging everywhere and going nuts!! It was totally awesome!! Sarah Harmer said she had a bit of a cold but nonetheless, still a good performance on her behalf. Gordie came out and they song Silver Road together. For once, you could actually sorta hear Gord singing a bit on the song unlike on the MWB soundtrack.

The hip came on just before 10pm and opened with Use It Up and seemed to proceed with the same Setlist style as they did for the In Violet Light tour. I mean certainly no complaints at all….they were still totally into it and the crowd was singing every song. Gord’s rant during Meridian didn’t have the forgetting rant, but he seemed to be saying something else kinda cool, maybe someone else can remember exactly what he was talking about. Gord did the whole hay-wagon sssssssssound during Poets thing which was awesome!! Highlights of the show for me, were certainly meeting all the cool peeps at the show. The starlight backdrop for the show was really awesome tonight! Welp, I’d write a whole lot more on the show, but I just got home, I’m tired and sadly enough, I have to work tomorrow on New Years eve. I’m looking forward to reading some more reviews from the show. Maybe some more well rested people can write their stories too.

Talk Soon and stay hip.

Jamie A.K.A. THEHIP11
mats
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Cool lighting.

Post by mats »

I must admit, the lighting was cool. Otherwise, just like every other show.

Do I sound bitter?

Mats aka Bry.
mats
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

P.S.

Post by mats »

P.S.
Thank you very much to Mike, Mathew and Jeffro. I really did have a wicked time in our beautiful seats.

It is just the setlist that I'm confused about.

Mats aka Bry.
Rye
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by Rye »

Anyone else think if the rumour about The Hip working on a new album right now were true, that they would have played a new song or two last night?
arseface88
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by arseface88 »

Awful seats. Damn. Similar setlist to last two shows at HOB Chicago. Gord very energetic, Rob surprisingly energetic. They're trying hard to keep something fresh going in the later half of Meridian. Tight show, with some jammed up bits for hardcore fans. Especially glad to hear the spaced out version of Chagrin Falls. Some new rants, some older. SShhhh sound was a returning veteran. Gord did a duet with S. Harmer of Silver Road which was cool, a little odd and a lot of fun to watch. He kept making hand movements like an opera singer, giving his voice little gremlin affectations that he didn't during the Hip's set. On the Hip's scale of ten (any other bands' 10 wouldn't make it up to a 1 on this scale), this was an 8.5.
the_wheat_king
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by the_wheat_king »

Well boys & girls, another Hip show is over and here's my review:

First of all, the pre-show party at the tonic lounge was very good and it had a great turn out. I didn't really meet anybody there; I was the one standing at the front with the orange hat and hip jersey. I as well had to work New Years Eve so I couldn’t go to the 31st show. Congrats to Josh who won the tickets for the second night doing his impression of Gordie.

Once the party was over, it was on to Copps where Sam Roberts had just begun to play. Sam and his band played very well through their whole set including a new song called “Canadian Dream”. I really liked the jams they played during some of the songs.

Sarah Harmer said she felt a little under the weather but it didn’t affect her voice. She played very well also. Inviting Gord out for “Silver Road” was one of the highlights of her set along with her well known pieces.

Then it was on to the Hip show. Before they came out on stage, it was great to see the fans get into it by doing the wave on both the upper and lower levels (I hope all of you participated, I did where I was in sec. 209, row 2). And then the hip came out around 10 o’clock and opened with “Use it up”. I thought it was going to be a similar setlist to the first hummingbird centre show just because of the first three songs. M@W was next with its extended play at the end. NOIS was next and it set the pace for the whole night. It was great to see songs that I haven’t seen performed live before including “Chagrin Falls” & “Three Pistols”. “Chagrin Falls” had a nice, soft ending to it. Songs that stood out to me as I was pretty much dancing the whole show: Use it up, Fully Completely, 100th Meridian, Springtime, Good life, Wheat Kings, Grace Too, Blow at high dough……

Gord Sinclair was really moving around a lot during M@W and NOIS. Robby was at his best when it came to Good Life and 100th Meridian. There were points where he’d wonder over in front of Johnny and in between Downie and Sinclair. And then there was Gordie with his antics on stage: at the end of one of their songs, he was removing his guitar when it got caught with the mic stand and had it crash to the stage. Pretending the edge of the stage was a boat and he was paddling with the mic stand. And of course pretending to get hit in the crotch by the microphone during “Blow at high dough” and falling to the stage which was pretty funny. The lighting was great during “Nautical Disaster”, “Lake Fever”, “Use It Up” and of course the starlit background for a number of songs. There were a lot of other highlights from the show that I can’t quite remember at this time but all in all, it was a great show in the hammer.

P.S. Did anyone notice the miniature disco balls hanging from the ceiling and what their significance was?......just for show I guess.
taitgr590
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

2002-12-30

Post by taitgr590 »

Hey folks,

About the rumour that the Hip are working on a new album right now: after the show a friend and I went to the left side of the stage where the head roadie (the one with the outback hat, don't know his name) was putting equipment away and we got the last setlist which wasn't thrown to the crowd right after the show. Anyways, he said the Hip are going to record a new album and be back on tour within six months. Let's hope he's right.

Graham Tait
willthenurse
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by willthenurse »

I know this is really, really late for a review...but I was just lookin around, and thought I would add this to here....I met the Hip this night...totally random...the people in fornt of us had extra back stage passes....quite an experince...the guys are so nice....I didnt get to talk with gord or gord....gord d had to leave just as it was "our turn" to see him, buit i got to shake his hand...he is really tall, and gord s just waved to the room where everyone was hanging out and he left... the other 3 guys were really cool...I was really impressed at how down to earth they were...and how they actually seemed to care that we enjoyed the show...I love the hip....

anyway, this was a great performance, and i met them....woo!

~Will
chris
The Last Recluse

Re: 2002-12-30 - Copps Coliseum - Hamilton, ON

Post by chris »