2002-12-31 - Copps Coliseum - Hamilton, ON

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2002-12-31 - Copps Coliseum - Hamilton, ON

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
eags
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

my thoughts

Post by eags »

no review yet?????

Well the first song of 03 was Music @work,

Great show, listening to it now the band seemed really into it tonight. Alot of good rants, Gord seemed to keep going back to fighting with his mic. Not alot to say today because I am super tired and need to go back to bed.

Setlist in order

Use it up
Grace, Too
NOIS
Escape is at hand
Bobcaygeon
Nautical
putting down
courage
silver jet
IOD
weaken
100th meridian
gems/direwolf
gift shop
poets
abac
little bones
long time running (midnight arrives, confetti and balloons, crowd goes nuts))

encore 1

music at work
fire in the hole (went on about the burning church)

encore 2

scared
blow

I took a bunch of pics and audio from the front row, sounds great so far, except for the goof yelling "little bones" all night. Met some great people in the huge beer lines, had a great time. I know this isn't much of a review but.... Oh well, Happy New Year will get the show up on the ftps soon

Sean
hipkid33
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by hipkid33 »

Hello all and Happy New Year!

Just got back to Buffalo from Hamilton and, like Eags, I am super tired.
It was a pleasure meeting Sean last night, he was right in front of me. Kudo's to your microphone setup!
I wonder who the goof was screaming Little Bones all night? I did not hear 'em. I probably got a few loud shouts and screams in the recording though, if I did, I apologize. :D

First of all, I have no voice, thankfully my fingers can do the talking. I was too busy singin' along!

Sarah Harmer opened and was very good, although I am not a big fan, I was impressed. My wife, who never heard of her, was hooked.

Sam Roberts was a first for me. I loved it, they have a new fan. Not to sound cliche, but they rocked so hard!

The boys came out around 10:30 and put on a show that was nothing short of amazing. I haven't been that close to the stage since Another Roadside Attraction came to Darien Lake. Pretty typical setlist though, but no complaints (except for the idiot who puked a few seats down from us and stunk up the place). IOD and Bones were, hands down, the best I have ever heard.

They boys were so into it and seemed exceptionally happy to be there. Gord was his usual sweaty self, ranting away. Paul even smiled a few times (never seen him smile). Gord S. looked as though he was really, really loving his bass. Bobby disappeared behind his hair, bangin' away. And Johnny seemed very, very into it. He sounded great.

Come the New Year...as Eags said...Long Time Running...balloons, confetti, sounds and we all went nuts! Happy New Year! The show ended about 12:30 or so. I left the show in a music induced euphoria. Looking forward to see what's next.

Thats all I got, I goin' to bed.

Chad

PS. Who else got screwed at the Sheraton? That was the worst time I had checking in to any hotel. An hour and a half at the desk and three rooms later, we finally got a room that was (I ended up paying half price):
a)not a king bed :evil:
b)non-smoking :evil:
c)not filled with people :evil:

What kind of room did I RESERVE 3 months ago?
a)king bed
b)smoking
c)for just 2 people

Is anyone thinking Seinfeld here??? "You know how to TAKE the reservation, you just dont know how to HOLD the reservation. And that's the most important part."
Ryan2
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

hip

Post by Ryan2 »

Was a Great night of music with sarah harmer performing a great set and a great way to get things going. It seemed to make more sense for her to open then sam roberts. The closing song "lodestar" was the highlight of her set... Sam Roberts who i missed when he opened for oasis and for one of the hummingbird shows put on a great show and i was impressed considering i had not heard almost of the songs he played . It was my first time at copps and liked the venue better then say the air canada center, Other then my posters getting stolen from the guy behind me and a really bad smell down on the floors ( the reviews from the 30th show mentioned of alot of puking.) I think it was a great show for the songs they performed , they performed amazingly i was really happy to hear escape .. the first time in 6 shows this year that they have played it... The setlist was pretty predictable but even so what a great concert . I wish they would play a more broader range of songs i thought maybe they would come back for these two shows pulling out some diff tunes .. I.O.D , fire, and long time running which is such a great song... A great night all in all . I wonder if they will tour much this year? I would be surprised if they did.. Some things i have noticed at the hip shows i whent to this past year were
1. People more concerned about their video and audio recordings of the show then the actual concert. Cant figure how you could have a good time worrying about the recordings, maybe you can. But i cant see how people can complain about people yelling or singing along, its pretty loud at these shows
2. The crowds seem pretty laid back, lacking energy. maybe i have it wrong but singing along and dancing around should be part of enjoying the concert. i was within the first 15 rows for copps and alot of people just seemed like they stood there slowly swaying. I mean if you cant get excited being that close then what the f**k. you dont have to be stupid or violent to go crazy and i m sure the band would love to see more enthusiam from the crowd . i noticed this at the molson amp shows floors both nights and hummer # 2 .

#3 was that a greatest hits tour? thats what it seemed like to me . A band with so many good songs especially off recent cds its dissapointing there was not a better mix. I understand its not like everyone goes to 5 or 6 concerts in a year but the setlist is pretty much the same as the tour started out. The best example of a band mixing it up is weezer who play the songs they want to play.. in toronto in the summer there was no "say it ain't so" keep fishin" newest single at the time and countless others .. but believe it or not no one complained and the show was great. The hip make some of their lesser known songs into memorable ones when they play it live... ie. springtime...highwaygirl...countless others

I just wish they would play the songs they really want to play not ones they feel they have to play..
p.s thats too bad about your sheraton mix up thats really shitty but at least you got half off the cost.. and the seinfeld quote is good remeber trains,plains and automobiles .. steve martin, car rental
eags
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by eags »

for the record..... I enjoy every show I tape, I was hardly complaining; I simply made a statement. A recorder in my pocket and mics in my hat are no more cumbersome than a wallet. A better question might be how can someone enjoy a show screaming LITTLE BONES all night....... Not a Flame, just my 2 cents!!!! :?
Ryan2
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by Ryan2 »

Sean I was'nt commenting on you , I wouldnt be happy with someone yelling little bones either and for sure that wouldnt be enjoyable .
chris
The Last Recluse

Re: 2002-12-31 - Copps Coliseum - Hamilton, ON

Post by chris »