Okay, So I'm a newbie. Educated me on all things Hip.

New to the Community?
*Note* You must Register to get access to the rest of the community.

Moderator: Moderators

BlueRidgeRambler
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

Okay, So I'm a newbie. Educated me on all things Hip.

Post by BlueRidgeRambler »

I have Phantom Power, Live Between Us, and Fully Completely and absolutely love these albums. I have had them for about 8 months. However I know there is much more to the hip than studio albums. The live experience is where it is at I asume. Tell me about legendary shows, rare songs, and what to expect at a show. I'm a huge fan of Phish, Pearl Jam, and anything Neil Young has touched. Educate this newbie.

PS The reason I don't have IBE or any other Hip CDs is because this music lover buys too many CDs. I have promised myself I wont buy it until I get a job. As incentive. However I make frequent trips to the record store to listen to it. :oops:

I respect your community and come in peace and hope to share many good times with this band in the near future.
]V[ANTIS
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by ]V[ANTIS »

You must buy the new cd...it's amazing and in my opinion, is the best one to date!

Welcome to hipbase :welcome
BlueRidgeRambler
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

By the way...I'm a huge fan of Ralph Wiggum so don't get too down on me about spelling. It was on purpose! I swear! Insert embarrassed face here.
BlueRidgeRambler
Advanced New Maybe
Advanced New Maybe

I know IBE is scruptulecent! I have listened to it about 2 times through at the record shop. I think the live feel of it is brilliant! (In my best Guinness commercial guy voice)
MattPower
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by MattPower »

... oh so much to learn. :wink: You're in for a treat man. There's a ton of wicked music by this band.

check your private messages.
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

Go out of your way to get a copy of "Highway Girl-Double Suicide."

If I try and describe it, I'll do it an injustice. Sufice to say it encapsulates pretty much everything that is this band "beyond the studio." It turned me from casual to diehard so many years ago and is an essential piece of the bands history that many of us take for granted since we've all heard it so much.

Kazaa has it, or maybe somebody kind and skilled in the way of computers (Jenna... paging Jenna :) ) will help you out.

When you hear it, you'll better understand a lot of the gushing that goes on around here. :)
bauer
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bauer »

killerwhaletank is like the grand daddy of em all. This started a craze!!
Shamu and Bartholomu, can't remenber how to speel Barth but an incredible rant.

Gord seems to have grown his arm back :lol:
Rye
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by Rye »

Always room for another Pearl jam fan here. :thumb:

Like some of the other members mentioned, download some random/live tracks. Much like alot of newer Pearl Jam stuff (Binaural, Riot Act), Hip tunes can take multiple listenings to get into.
lord brazle
Completist
Completist

Post by lord brazle »

Welcome to the forums, dude! :thumb:

I have learned more just reading thru these topics and posts than I had ever known about The Hip before. It's crazy. From song meanings to trivia to just plain "Hip-ology" (that's stupid, i'm sorry :? ) you'll find it all on here.

Not sure if ya know this or not, but above people are talking about Gord Downie's live rants. To spice up a song, out of boredom or maybe just plain insanity, he'll start rambling on stage or telling a story. You have Live Between Us, so ya proably already know....

There's quite a few of them and as far as I know, Gord may be the only singer who does this. I was actually kinda disappointed to not be able to find the lyrics to these on any sites, so I kinda took it upon myself to type them out. They are on my link below "A Dope Deal In The Middle Of A Cornfield" (So you can basically read "killerwhaletank" or " the double suicide monologue" before ya get around to downloading them)

Feel free to PM me if you got questions or problems or anything.
Anything for a fellow fan. :thumb:
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Welcome aboard!
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

Welcome to the wonderful world of Canada's Band.

BTW, direwolf, that SNL Blue Oyster Cult skit with Walken is unbelievable! J Fallon cracks up in the middle of it. More COWBELL BABY! MORE COWBELL!
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

Rambler, try this link (http://www.startcast.com/shows/10/A0124/) to see the Hip in action at the Skydome last year. Despite Gord forgetting the words during It's a Good Life, it's a great show!
lampshade29
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by lampshade29 »

Hi there, I am also new to this board. Been reading, but not posting.

I have no hip live stuff either. I have all the studio albums and have seen them a couple times...but as for anything else....nothing.

So, I would love some help getting some cool, good quality stuff.

I know i can count on you all.
Sabina
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Sabina »

lord brazle wrote:Welcome to the forums, dude! :thumb:

There's quite a few of them and as far as I know, Gord may be the only singer who does this...
No , he's not. Back in the day Billy Corgan (Pumpkins) used to rant. Rants are the epitome of the ultimate live show experience, IMO. Totally off the cuff and intense. More artists oughtta rant.
Here's to the Rant *CLINK* :mrgreen:
lord brazle
Completist
Completist

Post by lord brazle »

I had no idea Billy Corgan used to rant. SEE! Ya learn all kinds of stuff here... :thumb: