Hi from the Lakehead

New to the Community?
*Note* You must Register to get access to the rest of the community.

Moderator: Moderators

Sam
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Hi from the Lakehead

Post by Sam »

Hi everyone!

I'm new to Hipbase but not new to the Hip. I worked at a music store in 1988 when the self-titled LP came out. We received a play copy for the store and I've been a fan ever since. "I'm a Werewolf, Baby" clinched it for me.

I probably won't post much at first, since I have a lot of reading to do to catch up, but I'm looking forward to discussing the Hip's music and career with other fans.

P.S. Is everyone's intro post this lame? Or have I reached previously unplumbed depths of lameness? Because, if I have posted the lamest of all posts, I'd like to print a copy of it for my scrapbook.
Lizard King
The Last Recluse

Re: Hi from the Lakehead

Post by Lizard King »

Sam wrote:Hi everyone!

I'm new to Hipbase but not new to the Hip. I worked at a music store in 1988 when the self-titled LP came out. We received a play copy for the store and I've been a fan ever since. "I'm a Werewolf, Baby" clinched it for me.

I probably won't post much at first, since I have a lot of reading to do to catch up, but I'm looking forward to discussing the Hip's music and career with other fans.

P.S. Is everyone's intro post this lame? Or have I reached previously unplumbed depths of lameness? Because, if I have posted the lamest of all posts, I'd like to print a copy of it for my scrapbook.
Ive seen lamer, trust me. Welcome aboard Sam, good to have a long time fan around. Check out the site familiarize yourself with it, then jump right in!

LK :thumb:
Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Welcome aboard Sam! You've found a great community, and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

And LK is right, yours is definitely not the lamest intro, but we don't make a habit of pointing out the lameness of posts. You may be assigned tool points from time-to-time if your post is particulary deserving, but don't sweat it, so far no one has been kicked out for amassing too many tool points.
Sam
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Sam »

Ah well... I guess I want every post to be pure brilliance - insightful, meaningful and a discussion sparker. I'll deal with my issues and get on with it.
fingernailsonhull
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by fingernailsonhull »

:welcome

Don't worry. I've been here for some time and my posts continue to be lame.
Jeff

June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
hotmetal401
Completist
Completist

Post by hotmetal401 »

Welcome Sam!

I'm new to Thunder Bay, just coming up to Lakehead in September to start my master's in history. Are you studying up here?

Cheers

Pat
Sam
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Sam »

Shut Up! You're getting your Masters in History at Lakehead? I majored in History at Lakehead too! I completed the course work for my Masters but never did finish the dissertation. What a scream.

Do you think History majors are attracted to the Hip? Or does listening to the Hip make people want to be History majors?

Hmm...

Anyway - no, I'm not at Lakehead U. anymore. I was just using the "Lakehead" as a geographic marker. Since I've exposed myself as a History nerd:

Thunder Bay is an amalgamation of 2 cities - Fort William and Port Arthur. When the citizens of my fair city had to vote on a new name, the had 3 choices:

1. Lakehead
2. The Lakehead
3. Thunder Bay

While "Lakehead" was the most popular choice, the vote was split between options 1 & 2, leaving Thunder Bay the uncontested winner. The provincial gov't it wanted Thunder Bay but the locals had been calling the region "the Lakehead" for so long, there was little doubt how they would vote. So the first mayor of T. Bay (Saul Laskin) made sure the vote was split.

I'm not saying people in Thunder Bay are gullible or anything, but if you have deeds for swamp land in Florida, this would be the city to sell them in.