2006-07-12 - Utrecht, NL - Tivoli

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2006-07-12 - Utrecht, NL - Tivoli

Post by mrlayance »

Post your review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
Laxe
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Laxe »

Well, what can I say. I'm still reeling a bit and can't really focus on work... Hadn't seen the Hip since the IVL tour because they haven't exactly been over here much since then. On the 2 hours drive to the gig I was playing the Hipeponymous best-of cds and wondering what my favourite Hip song was. Don't wake daddy came up, always had a soft spot for that. And who would believe it: they kicked the show off with it! Must have been telepathy. The show started great, continued great, with more favourites and first-time-live-songs (for me) and ended way too soon, even considering band and fans had a hard time with the heat. Driving home I felt great, but maybe also just a bit disappointed. Must be because there were so many more songs I had wanted to hear, or just emptyness after the experience. I should have seen the Paradiso gig as well...
PS I would really like to see a Tivoli setlist, to dream away over.
MattyM
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MattyM »

Hey Laxe, glad you've joined us and that you had such a great time!
Come say hi on twitter @MattMerritt
Gr.R.
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Gr.R. »

Don't wake dady
Courage
Drop Off
Lake Fever
Daredevil
Nautical Disaster
Nashville
ABAC
Direwolf
Springtime in Vienna
Ocean
100th Meridian
Bobcageon
New Orleans is Sinking
Escape is at hand for the travelling man
Music @ work

The Lonely End of the Rink
Rules
Fireworks

The first show, in Amsterdam (haven't got a setlist of that show), was probably one of the best I ever saw, the one in Utrecht was probably one of the worst Hip shows I ever say. Too much "slow" songs and the concert didn't get started till 100th Meridian. Gord was fighting with his guitar and was in a really bad mood.

The nice thing is that in 2 shows I heard probably 30 to 35 different songs. That makes it worth to going two nights in a row...
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Well Rob... I think that we saw different shows! The Amsterdam show was one for the ages, that's for sure.

The Utrecht show was also great. The place was so freaking hot that I think I sweat nearly as much as Gordo did.

The setlists were varied enough to please pretty much everyone who saw both shows... yet they each included enough "hits" and "rarities" to keep even the most hardcore fan interested.

Gord D was angrier than I've ever seen, and was marching around the stage like a posessed animal!

When the DVD is ready for distribution (6 cameras and 3 audio) evey will be able to make their own decision...

Too bad we didn't get to say hello to one another.
stationtenderness
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by stationtenderness »

I also have to disagree with Rob. Despite all the technical problems I thought it was a pretty good concert. Maybe not as intense as the Paradiso gig, but hey, it's hard to top Hollands no. 1 venue ! The setlist was quite refreshing and in particular 'Escape' was fantastic to hear. I'm glad I went to both nights. Amazing how The Hip manage to come up with completely different sets each night.

Roel
JaHoe
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by JaHoe »

I also was at the Tivoli and really liked the show. Saw them two times before , paradiso 2000 and Tivoli 2002. It was indeed hot, but tivoli is a great club for gigs. Saw many favourites , but missed Little Bones and Blow at High dough. Springtime was awesome!
Still think they are one of the best live bands on earth!
joshwayy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by joshwayy »

I wish I was rich...
Gr.R.
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Gr.R. »

Mwaoh, Paradiso is definetely not the best venue in The Netherlands. It's a nice place with the windows, but the public is boring most of the times and it has only one bar. I was really surprised the The Hip could get the place really steaming. And that's maybe the biggest reason for my disappointment> Tivoli is a far better place then Paradiso, but it took an hour to get some action in the crowd. And Nautical Disaster, Lake Fever and Dire Wolf are very good songs, but not the songs that make you dance. And *that* was my biggest problem. When they started 100th Meridian, that was the first moment I saw a sprakle in the band and in the audience...

I saw the band, I think, at least 10 times now, in The Netherlands and in Germany (first time in Hengelo), but I never saw Gord throwing a guitar away. He did it this show. He hardly spoke to the crowd. He was really, really annoyeed for some reason. And that didn't do the show good as well...
robert goulet
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by robert goulet »

Gr.R. wrote: I saw the band, I think, at least 10 times now, in The Netherlands and in Germany (first time in Hengelo), but I never saw Gord throwing a guitar away. He did it this show. He hardly spoke to the crowd. He was really, really annoyeed for some reason. And that didn't do the show good as well...
Me thinks Gord being let loose in Amsterdam for 3 days and 2 nights might have had something to do with his sudden mood change...just a theory but probably a good one. Don't kid yourself I'd do the same damn thing if I was in his shoes!!!
Maaike
New Maybe
New Maybe

Tivoli

Post by Maaike »

I went to Bospop, Paradiso and Tivoli and have to agree that the Paradiso show was maybe the best of all i 've ever seen of them.. But yeah, I really liked Tivoli as well! Loved the setlist and stuff and i think they played great, despite the problems gord had with his guitar. When i talked to them earlier that day they told me they just heard they'd have to leave right after the tivoli show, in order to catch their flight in London. They weren't happy at all with that.. So, knowing that, i think you can better understand why they might have seemed a bit stressed.. although i do not think it messed up their show. It was a great one! Well, and i think playing Dire, DD, Rules and Escape has only GREAT extra value for everyone.. Come om, you can jump on other songs! These were splendid! They were awesome at this gig.. :thumb:
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

So.... can any of our Dutch fans translate this one?

Here's what babelfish had to say:

On the street, for the entrance of Tivoli, groups people hang around. Many Canadians with the flag of their country around the shoulders. Compatriots of the rockband Tragically hip the that complete world travels around to see their heroes to the work in small European rooms, instead of the enormous our that link at home does fill up. It promises what kind of what will come. Taxi to the ocean open the show, just like a day rather in the Paradiso also sold off. Immediately strong and continues against go there in wide the twenty minutes speeltijd starts the link which they have. And also them are the group Canadians who range the first do not populate escape. Zanger Just Posthumus: "This one's for you mounties!" The songs and the muzikanten stand if a house and to this is see that taxi to the ocean that a new cd brings out soon, clearly has grown with respect to a half year has been suffered at 3VOOR12/Utrecht the jubileumfeest in the slope. On the podium for sold off Tivoli the link is entirely in its element. mail humus: "we do simply net or you all for us come be." The "mounties" shout with joy if their own heroes the podium rises. Although at zanger Gordon Downie already halfway the first number the sweat with straaltjes of its body flows, come the first two songs still what measure. When he afterwards however himself puts on an acoustic jet ear, the link really comes on pace. Behind on the podium drummer Johnny Fay entirely goes loose, beside front man Downie leaps bass player girds Sinclair and with its bass jet ear and on sides on the podium the gitaristen play Robby nurse and Paul Langlois hurry themselves motionless. That the songs are not complete particular and frequently what is possible too long spun out, nobody in Tivoli deren. These link live visit undergoing a special experience is and public, dertigers and veertigers from several parts of the country, do that willingly. Publicly characterises immediately how long the link goes along already; the link is already about twenty years busy and stood in 1994, on Pinkpop. Of a link which it applied earring earring-repertoire played the gezelschap developed into stadionband pur sang. That is see to the way plays on Downie publicly: he does that especially at people who cede to a couple meter of the podium, and hardly at the fans on the first range. podium animal Downie attracts not only the attention with its hypnotising voice, which most does think still of REM's Michael Stipe, but also by its mimicry and movements. Dances which frequently what is houterig, but at music are appropriate and on a certain manner nevertheless (tragically) hip. the two gitaristen stand largely play an hour and a half nearly motionless, but sat there in the same an hour and a half a time beside. If the now hippe concerned headstock songs, long solos in the style of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, or harder rock with more electronic sounded. That testifies nevertheless of class. Also a quartet travelled with roadies is busy during the concert. Not only there a package snaren becomes doorheen nervous (particularly Downie break them always during playing), also the microphone of the zanger is from time to time replaced by a dry land. (If he bends forward itself, the sweat with three jets of its cap runs.) After an hour and a half the link disappears to behind, the meanwhile jumping public in the room chants hip! Hip! Hip! and rightly a toegift wants. Downie take the word: Thank you for calling US back. We appreciate it. And ' The hip ' play songs still two. Then it has been really done. The Canadian film plough of the supporter club is satisfied, Dutch fans turn homeward and the tourkaravaan can travel further. Tragically hip and taxi to the ocean seen: Tivoli, Wednesday 12 July 2006
ron
Completist
Completist

Post by ron »

chris

thanks for putting that up but i can't follow it i guess it gets lost in translation

next time anyone sees Rob, i guess we call him nurse rob .

Ron
Laxe
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Laxe »

chris wrote:So.... can any of our Dutch fans translate this one?
Sure, I think I can do better than babelfish.....

----------------------------------------------------------

In the street, near the entrance of Tivoli, groups of people hang around. Many Canadians with the flag of their country around the shoulders. Compatriots of the rockband Tragically hip who travel around the world to see their heroes at work in small European venues, instead of the enormous halls they fill at home. It promises a lot for what is about to come.

‘Taxi to the ocean’ open the show, just like a day before at the Paradiso, also sold out. They start strong and continue to rock hard in the twenty minutes playing time they have. The group of Canadians at the front rows didn’t escape their attention. Singer Just Posthumus: "This one's for you mounties!" The songs and the musicians are solid and it shows that ‘Taxi to the ocean’, who will release a new cd soon, have grown since half a year before when they played at the 3VOOR12/Utrecht jubilee party in ‘de Helling’. On the stage of a sold out Tivoli the band fit in well. Posthumus: "We simply pretend you all came for us."

The "mounties" shout with joy when their own heroes climb the stage. Although singer Gordon Downie already has sweat pouring down his body in streams halfway through the first song, the first two songs fall slightly flat. But when he straps on his own acoustic guitar, the band really picks up the pace. At the rear of the podium drummer Johnny Fay lets loose completely, at the side of front man Downie bass player Gord Sinclair jumps up and down with his bass guitar and on both ends of the stage the guitarists Robby Baker and Paul Langlois play their parts nearly motionlessly.

So the songs may not always be very special and frequently spun out a little too long, nobody in Tivoli cares. Seeing this band live is undergoing a special experience and the audience, in their thirties or forties, from all parts of the country, do that willingly. The audience clearly shows that the band has been around for some time; they have been working for some twenty years already and were at Pinkpop in 1994. From a band that imitated ‘Golden Earring’ repertoire, this group developed into genuine stadium act. That shows in the way Downie plays the audience: he focuses mainly on the people a few rows from the stage and hardly on the fans on the first rows.

Stage natural Downie attracts the attention not only with his hypnotising voice, which is reminiscent of REM's Michael Stipe, but also with his facial expressions and moves. Dancing that often looks a bit clumsy, but then again seems to fit the music in a certain way, being (tragically) hip. The two guitarists may stand playing nearly motionlessly for an hour and a half, but in the same hour and a half they don’t miss a beat, whether playing hip pop songs, long solos in the style of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, or harder rock with a more electronic sound. That shows a lot of class.

A quartet of roadies is also busy during the concert. Packs of of strings are used up (especially Downie breaks a lot of them during playing), and also the microphone of the singer has to be replaced by a dry one from time to time (when he bends forward three streams of sweat pour from under his cap). After an hour and a half the band disappear behind the stage, leaving the now jumping crowd chanting Hip! Hip! Hip!, rightly wanting an encore. Downie takes the microphone: ‘Thank you for calling us back. We appreciate it.’ and 'The Hip' play another two songs. Then it’s really over. The Canadian film crew of the fanclub is satisfied, Dutch fans go home and the tour caravan can move on.

---------------------------------------------
chris
The Last Recluse

Post by chris »

Great stuff Laxe!

The photographer and writer from this article stood next to me for the entire show and both of them definitely seemed impressed by the performance.

Martijn emailed me a link to more of his photos from the show: http://martijnzuidweg.nl/coll.php?coll=105