01/16/07: Red Deer: Enmax Centrium

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

daylight
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by daylight »

Yeah, now that I think about it: nothing from IBE, IVL, or DFN leaves me a little choked. Ah well, I guess the excess of TATH was nice. Pretty heavy on WC, too, relative to the other setlists I've seen. Pretend. :(

I also noticed that the Meridian bridge seemed sloppy, but other than that I didn't see any glaring problems with the band's performance (aside from restarting Pretend, but that sort of thing happens once in awhile with everyone). It's easy to miss things like that when you're in the thick of it, I find.
day_for_night
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by day_for_night »

TLB wrote:
day_for_night wrote:i'd guess like 4,000 seats unsold
Ouch....isn't The Centrium a junior hockey barn? Maybe 6,000 seats total?
no, bigger than that. i'd guess like 9,000 when you include the floor. the whole upper half of the second deck was completely empty...a big change from when i saw them there last. it was packed to the rafters at that show.
ediger
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by ediger »

Jack Straw wrote:Maybe when you play the same songs night after night you start to go through the motions. I guess for the hit lovers they can say once the show starts, "Alright, New Orleans is next!" It must get boring to play.

Just once I'd like to see them go out there with no setlist and just go for it.

Sorry. There's just SO much great material and this approach seems so lazy.
I have to agree. As much as I still love to watch this band perform, it pains me to think of what their shows could be. I saw Pearl Jam play 2 nights back to back this past summer. They repeated 4 songs. That's what I like to see. I could listen to NOIS and Nautical Disaster live over and over, but I would definitely prefer to hear some variety. Hey, hows this for an idea? Play 4.5 hour shows! :D
daylight
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by daylight »

day_for_night wrote:
TLB wrote:
day_for_night wrote:i'd guess like 4,000 seats unsold
Ouch....isn't The Centrium a junior hockey barn? Maybe 6,000 seats total?
no, bigger than that. i'd guess like 9,000 when you include the floor. the whole upper half of the second deck was completely empty...a big change from when i saw them there last. it was packed to the rafters at that show.
Not to be a dick, but...
Ticketmaster.ca wrote: Miscellaneous:
Seating Capacity:
Full venue: 5987
Concert Bowl: 2929
I assume it was the full venue for this one, since the other concert seating diagram has the arena split in half the long way. I have absolutely no concept of how many people fill a given space, but there were indeed a lot of empty seats in the stands.
SRK
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by SRK »

--Just once I'd like to see them go out there with no setlist and just go for it.

There was a show in Ottawa about 7 or 8 years ago where everyone had different setlists, and they had to go by the seat of their pants...it was a disaster, as I recall.
u8555
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by u8555 »

daylight wrote:
day_for_night wrote:
TLB wrote: Ouch....isn't The Centrium a junior hockey barn? Maybe 6,000 seats total?
So, it's safe to assume that there will be some empty seats in Thunder Bay? It lists two capacities for concerts, 3700 and 4600.

Not to be a dick, but...
Seating Capacity:
I assume it was the full venue for this one, since the other concert seating diagram has the arena split in half the long way. I have absolutely no concept of how many people fill a given space, but there were indeed a lot of empty seats in the stands.
u8555
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by u8555 »

Not good with computers. I really messed that last post up. All I meant to say/ask was....

So, it's safe to assume that there will be some empty seats in Thunder Bay? It lists two capacities for concerts, 3700 and 4600.
day_for_night
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by day_for_night »

daylight wrote:
day_for_night wrote:
TLB wrote: Ouch....isn't The Centrium a junior hockey barn? Maybe 6,000 seats total?
Not to be a dick, but...
Seating Capacity:

yeah i guess my estimate of how many seats the place held was a little high, which is what i based my judge of how many empty seats there were...i'd say the place was 2/3rds full.
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

For Pictures: http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/556856489aucWsc

As I stated before, I was disappointed to see the place 2/3 full, only for the assumption that the band would feel the same.
But they proved me wrong.

Yes there were a few hiccups in the performance, but it did not detract from my whole experience.
Gord was on fire, never seen him dance like that before & Johnny was pounding the sh*t out the skins.
As for Bootlegger's comments, I really appreciate the honesty. Hearing that every concert was amazing can get a little tired. I love to hear about the missed lyrics, bad notes and timing problems. Make the Hip seem more human and the performance unique.
I second this, I thought these fine distractions added to the show.

What made my night was that I was with a buddy, and it was his 2nd show, and he got front row for the 1st time. Overall, I didn't really care about what songs they played or didn't play.

Daddy, and Springtime we really treats. Gord was really belting out each of these songs.

I have a new found appreciation for pretend, which was great.

I feel they nailed Wheat Kings, I really didn't think that song was worth much live, until last night. They really nailed it.

They rocked out Blow (one of my favourites) with an extended little jam
Bootlegger420
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Bootlegger420 »

Ya Ya It was still agood show I am ripping the video right now....can some one torrent it if i send a RAW dvd to you????
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

setlist???
what was the cover tune?
MountainHip
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by MountainHip »

daylight wrote:Good, but not great after the last few shows. Maybe three in four nights was a bad idea, because I'm pretty burnt out and found it hard to enjoy a lot of the evening. Daddy and Gift Shop were nice to hear, and pretty much took care of everything I wanted on the arena tour, aside from Lake Fever (next time!). Disappointing encore, especially with the repeat closer, but the cover tune was good - even though Gord had to read the lyrics off the floor.

Family Band
NOIS
Fully Completely
Don't Wake Daddy
Kids Don't Get It
ABAC
Fly
Courage
Boots
Pretend
Fireworks
100th
Long Time Running
In View
Gift Shop
Wheat Kings
Ocean
M@W
Blow
______

Rink
Somethin' Else (Eddie Cochran)
Little Bones
bigA
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by bigA »

I must be going blind in my old age, I do not know how I missed that.
I am such a dick!
gambler
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by gambler »

The show was good. Not great, but good.

I had never seen Gord so animated while playing the guitar. Ten years ago when he picked it up, it was like someone nailed him to the floor - he'd just stand there, strum and sing. Now I can't fault him in the least - playing acoustic myself, I can only do two of the following three: sing, play, and dance. If I try to do all three... something's going to fail.

Anyway, Gord was just alive during NOIS - seeing him groove around was the highlight of the show, even though I've seen them play NOIS at least thirty times now. The whole band was having a good time and smiling, which is a treat to see. Even on the nights where it doesn't sound like they bring the "A" game out, they still have fun. I can't thank them enough for sharing their love of the music with the fans.

I cannot believe the show didn't sell out. Lethbridge seemed to have a better turnout than Red Deer did, which baffles me to no end. Was it that nobody wanted to brave driving on #2 during January, or ????

J.
Bootlegger420
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Bootlegger420 »

The roads were terrible coming from calgary to red deer and edmonton to red deer wasnt great

shane