2004-09-23 - Syracuse, NY - Landmark Theatre

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

joshwayy
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by joshwayy »

I'm glad the lighting was better than in Boston, and that someone pointed out that it ws that lone big spotlight behind them. (I thought it was just me)That really sucked. Watching Gord was like looking into the sun.
Jenna_Bird
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Jenna_Bird »

I'll agree with what's been posted so far...setlist, not so great, show, better than the setlist. I'm disappointed that I didn't get to meet anyone from the board. I was staring down everyone I saw, trying to figure out if I might know them. I saw one guy in a hipbase t-shirt but I couldn't find him again. :( Sad times. I was looking forward to puttin gmore names to faces. The highlight of the night, for me, was before the show. Jon and I went to the Dino around 5:30 (give or take 5 minutes) because he got into Syracuse earlier than expected. We were waiting by the door. I was watching people come in and go out. I told Jon that I wanted to wait outside, since it was so nice out. I was walking over to open the door when someone else opened it from the outside. That someone else happened to be a certain Mr. Robert Baker. I gasped. Loudly. Right in his face. :oops: He looked at me, look at Jon (decked out in his IVL tour shirt) and scuffled away to the corner. He was there with (I presume) his son and wife, and another woman who looked similar to the supposed wife, so I'm guessing sister-in-law. We both wanted to go talk to him, but seeing as he was with his family, we decided against it. Very cool moment though. On the way back to the car, after the show, Jon sugguest that we should have sent him a beer...however the thought came about six hours too late. :cry: That's all for now. I'm back in DE gearing up for the Philly show on Sunday. Can't wait!

-Jenna
Andre Cardinal
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Andre Cardinal »

Oh yeah, that reminds me...I saw Langlois at Clark's right before the show. He was drinking a beer and talking with friends or relatives. He seemed genuinely happy when someone went up to him for an autograph/picture. I'm sure Rob would've been the same.
PurposelessPlay
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by PurposelessPlay »

I know how you feel Jenna. I had an oppty to talk to the boys in a Boston restaurant on the PP tour but didnt want to cross that family line. I think they would be cool about it as mentioned by Andre, but I think if it happens again, I'll keep my distance. I've met and talked with all of the guys over the years but my rule of thumb is sitting at a meal is my personal off limits.

Not saying noone should, just my personal thing. (Plus I'm generally the shy star-struck type at the best of times with these guys lol ;)
Jenna_Bird
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Jenna_Bird »

I know what you mean. He was standing there with his hands on his son's shoulders, looking very protective. It wasn't a line I wanted to cross. I know I certainly wouldn't want to be accosted by random people when out with my family, no matter how much they liked me! The shyness factor played into it too...I couldn't come up with a single intelligent thing to say. It's probably best that I left it as it was. :)

-Jenna
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

I saw Rob and I believed it to be his wife and maybe two daughters sitting at the picnic table outside at Dinosaurs.
They all had drinks in front of them, but no food - Rob was sitting at the last seat right by the street corner.
I said excuse me, he looked up, I shook his hand and said have a good show tonight. His smile was huge and he said thank you.
I debated a minute about saying anything, pretty much because I did not want to interrupt dinner - I always found that rude - but since it was just drinks so far, and it was so loud and crowded outside, I figured it would be OK.
Weird, my group just finished eating at a picnic table outside also, not 20 feet away, and it seems no one noticed him - I just did because we were going back to the parking lot and just happened to have to walk right by him.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Andre Cardinal
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Post by Andre Cardinal »

What did you order? I had the philly steak and cheese chicken? I think that's what it was called.
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Post by Tthip »

At Dinosaurs, I wanted the Menage a' Trois but the wife said no. :D
I ended up getting the combo of ribs, pork, prime rib, prime rib soup (excellent) and fries. Full meal for about 13 bucks.
My brother got the same but instead of prime rib he got beef briquet or something. My wife got a chicken sandwich. All the food was very good, but the BBQ taste was with me all night - even after some beer.
On a side note, a very old lady coworker of my brothers was in the supermarket the other day and asked the worker for the "Dinosaur Foreplay Powder".
She did not know why at the time, but the kid started laughing and walked into the back room.
My brother filled her in on why he never came back.
Dana
stuckatcuse
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Post by stuckatcuse »

Dino rocks
Knuckles of Frisco
New Maybe
New Maybe

Still good

Post by Knuckles of Frisco »

Yeah, I would have to agree that the setlist left a bit to be desired, but the show still rocked! NOIS.... dynamite version with a little JJ Cale in the middle.... Gus was great too. I think they had some sound problems with ABAC....it just didn't sound right, and it ended up being the only song of the second encore. Oh well, shit happens. I've seen some hip shows with some real gems in the list, so can't be too disappointed.

Low-lite of the show (and the first I've ever witnessed). We were up in 3rd row, so there were plenty of people jamming in the center aisle once the show started. Well, I think about 3 songs in.... some idiot is taking a piss in the aisle! Anyways, he got the boot, but not before enough splashed on my girlfriends purse.... Needless to say, this was a bit of a distraction for a couple of songs while she 'cleaned up'!~ Wierd anyways...

But aside from 'pissy' there, we enjoyed the show like we always do when the hip are playin'.....it was cool being so close, getting to see all the expressions and motions from the boys (Gord riding the motorcyle for Grace...hillarious). Also, during Poets, Gord motioned holding a gun to Pauls head when the lyrics hit the "While aiming at the archetypal father
He said with such broad and tentative swipes why do you even bother...." I've noticed the same thing at a few other shows.... just wondering if anyone else had noticed? Is this a regular motion for this song?

Anyways, all around, great time. AND, got to meet Gord after the show. He was soooo nice! My girlfriend asked if we could get a picture, which was no problem, and he even took the time for a little small talk...
This alone made up for any.... uh-hem... distractions we encountered throughout the show!
jerremy
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by jerremy »

Ah... I wondered what the Security guards all ran to. The 2 up front ran and jumped out of the pit, and we saw the big commotion.

It was a great show - the energy was very high - and the new tunes sounded great - especially Gus and Summer.

The setlist was kind of a bummer, but the show rocked. We really liked Sam as well. They put on a good show.

Take it easy,

Jerremy
stuckatcuse
Groupie In Training
Groupie In Training

Re: Still good

Post by stuckatcuse »

Knuckles of Frisco wrote:Yeah, I would have to agree that the setlist left a bit to be desired, but the show still rocked! NOIS.... dynamite version with a little JJ Cale in the middle.... Gus was great too. I think they had some sound problems with ABAC....it just didn't sound right, and it ended up being the only song of the second encore. Oh well, shit happens. I've seen some hip shows with some real gems in the list, so can't be too disappointed.

Low-lite of the show (and the first I've ever witnessed). We were up in 3rd row, so there were plenty of people jamming in the center aisle once the show started. Well, I think about 3 songs in.... some idiot is taking a piss in the aisle! Anyways, he got the boot, but not before enough splashed on my girlfriends purse.... Needless to say, this was a bit of a distraction for a couple of songs while she 'cleaned up'!~ Wierd anyways...

But aside from 'pissy' there, we enjoyed the show like we always do when the hip are playin'.....it was cool being so close, getting to see all the expressions and motions from the boys (Gord riding the motorcyle for Grace...hillarious). Also, during Poets, Gord motioned holding a gun to Pauls head when the lyrics hit the "While aiming at the archetypal father
He said with such broad and tentative swipes why do you even bother...." I've noticed the same thing at a few other shows.... just wondering if anyone else had noticed? Is this a regular motion for this song?

Anyways, all around, great time. AND, got to meet Gord after the show. He was soooo nice! My girlfriend asked if we could get a picture, which was no problem, and he even took the time for a little small talk...
This alone made up for any.... uh-hem... distractions we encountered throughout the show!
AWW man! Now thats rough!
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Re:

Post by sean.bonner »

Tthip wrote: NOIS actually had a break in it like old times - they played the JJ Cale cover (I Belive) "I Can Only Give You Everything" - sounded great, one of my favorite breaks for this song.
"I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I, Can only give you everything, and I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I......"
Was listening to this show last night, and NOIS was a def highlight. That breakdown with the JJ Cale tease was incredible:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw93T0 ... sp=sharing
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Tthip
The Last Recluse

Re: 2004-09-23 - Syracuse, NY - Landmark Theatre

Post by Tthip »

Damn. I miss the people in this thread, and I miss being able to complain about a setlist/show.
Dana
sean.bonner
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Re: 2004-09-23 - Syracuse, NY - Landmark Theatre

Post by sean.bonner »

Yeah, bunch of spoiled brats in this review! lol

Great lookin setlist, great sounding set.

The crowd noise in this recording is hilarious at times. Especially the beginning of Vaccination Scar.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston