2003-06-21 - Skydome - Toronto, ON

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2003-06-21 - Skydome - Toronto, ON

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

Well I got home from the show and thought I'd see if the setlist was posted as the songs were played and they weren't so here goes my version of the night.

Gord re-wrote the lyrics to Good Life and Twist My Arm. Well no just joking but he butchered the lyrics beyond belief. The sound was really great from on the floor. A little shitty up in the 500's when we walked around. They played 14-15 songs I think. Lots and lots of ranting by Gord. He was in fine form except for the lyric screw ups!! Here is what I remember. The first few are in order but I don't remember the total order of the set.

Grace, Too
New Orleans is Sinking
The Darkest One
Twist My Arm
Bobcaygeon
Courage
Fireworks
Poets
Music at Work
At The Hundredth Meridian
It's A Good Life if You Don't Weaken
Blow at High Dough

Encore:
Ahead by a Century
Little Bones
jen
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by jen »

Incredible!!! Thanks for sharing, I was very curious!! :thumb:
Wish I could have been there :cry:
But, to all of you that were there, I hope the whole concert event was awesome!!!
the_wheat_king
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by the_wheat_king »

What a show!!

I went with Jaime "thehip11" and we had some good seats on the floor, but moved up a little bit to where a bunch of people were standing in the aisle. There was 4 screens surrounding the stage: one on each side of the stage, a larger one right behind each band and of course the Jumbotron. When the Hip were on, I was looking at the screens a bit more because it had close-ups of all the guys and their guitars, including Johnny and his drum set. I took some pictures with a cheap disposable camera so I hope they will turn out alright.

The show was great! Gord wearing his white, long-sleeved shirt rolled up was in fine form. He came out wearing a white dresscoat (as seen in the "Good Life" video) for the first song, Grace Too. He used his mic stand as a paddle on a boat, dropped the microphone on the stage a couple of times, and did some kinda dance around the mic stand at the edge of the stage. The guys looked like they had a lot of fun up there tonight, laughing with each other and admiring the sold out Skydome crowd.

All in all, most of the songs played (if not all) were singles! Probably to have all the non-hip fans in the stadium know and recognize the songs a bit better.

Hey, it was still a good venue to see the Hip play at, for the first time too so I enjoyed it! There was also a firework display over at Ontario Place after the show ended which put the finishing touches on a great night!
Roy-at-tth
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Roy-at-tth »

how'd he screw up the words?
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

On Twist My Arm, Gord mixed up the versus....He sang the "Martyr's don't do much for me line one verse too early and then made up for it by singing the second verse last, haha

On Good Life, he just forgot half the words and mixed up the words. He forgot to sing "Forget yer skates dream" a couple times.
mats
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Hip at Skydome.

Post by mats »

Please don't hate me, I am as big or bigger a Hip fan than any of you here...just understand that I am old and sometimes bitter and I think that someone needs to come clean here. :wink:

Put it this way...the Bare Naked Ladies were great! I was never a fan...but I am now.

The Skydome is not a good place to see the Hip. The sound was HORRIBLE, even right down in front. It was way to big - 80% of the people could not get a good look at Gordie, and the folks filming the show for the big screens did a brutal job...everytime Gord would get going, they would switch to Johnny or Paul or anyone else. No offence to the band but when you are a Hip fan and you can't see Gord and he is ranting or huddled over like a monkey screaming into a microphone that's two feet off the ground (that was a CLASSIC Gord!), then you want to see it.

Now the Hip - I guess after nearly forty shows now, I kind of want to see just a SLIGHT progression in the bands' approach - that's all, just a wee tad...NOPE. Gord (and the Hip) had every opportunity to show ALOT of people that they are good musicians, songwriters, performers, etc. Nope. Not a word of why we were there was mentioned by Gord, and as for the setlist, (for Hip fans) it was brutal...except Twist my Arm, but even during that song, Gord completely butchered the lyrics, I was embarrassed, I wish I could have changed the channel for 3 minutes. Not to mention he butchered a number of other songs too. Not just the usuall missing a few lines or starting on the same verse again, I mean BUTCHERED. As mentioned earlier, the setlist was so predictable...MAKE UP YOUR MIND...if you are trying to win new fans with all of the songs that are "radio friendly" then put on a professional "pop" show and act like you mean it - Gord. Otherwise give me a beautiful, raw, messed up Hip show but play SOMETHING DIFFERENT because you know that we as Hip fans have seen the same basic tunes forever. Seriously, how hard would it be to slide in, I don't know, two or three classics? Shock me, I dare ya!
NOIS - give me a break.
Fireworks - sounded bad, butchered lyrics
Good Life - such a beautiful song - butchered lyrics
Twist my Arm - such a rockin' tune - butchered lyrics, etc.
I could go on, so I will. I guess I am starting to pull for them a bit. I mean, they are the greatest band in the world, and I am so greatful that they never made it huge, so I could see them in gymnasiums all my life, but I guess I am willing to give up my selfishness and see them now, make a bunch of dough and earn the monetary rewards that they deserve while their careers are SLIGHTLY winding down. But the with this show and the opportunity they had the other night, I guess I am, and they are, content in hearing NOIS, M@W, and Fireworks the rest of our lives down at the gym at Lorne Park Secondary School. Geez I'm shocked that didn't finish with Little Bones! - Wait a minute - they did!
Brutally, honestly yours,
Mats aka Bry.
gratts99
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by gratts99 »

ouch thats harsh....

as for the bucthering ..the bands off tour and we know gord has no memory for lycrics let alone playing in 2 bands at 3pm that afternoon then flying to T.

as for the rest ... I absoulty agree... change it up boys
mats
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

butchering

Post by mats »

I used to get a kick out of Gord screwing up a line or two. But what gets me is when he screws up songs like he did the other day and also when he screws up beautiful songs like Wheat Kings. I seriously don't think I have a version of Wheat Kings that isn't butchered. Of all songs, it's such a nice, flowing song and when that happens, it throws the whole tune off.

He is also getting extremely lax in his delivery, you know, the way he puts the lyrics at the ends of the riffs - uuggghhh.

I may be sounding off a bit, but I KNOW I am not the only one who feels this way. Sure we all worship Gord, but I think that he has been letting us down a bit lately, and I would like to see a little more effort put forth.

Yikes...sorry.
Am I going to hell? :scratch:
Beat
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by Beat »

Yikes...sorry.
Am I going to hell?
Yes.......Hiphell ;)
mats
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Hiphell.

Post by mats »

Hiphell...
Is that a place where Swollen Members cover Hip songs and sing them to me twenty-four hours a day?
Eeeeeeeeke, I will behave, I promise.
jen
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by jen »

No Mats, actually it is Avril screaming butchered Hip tunes into your ears..24/7 with the Swollen Members playing backup... :wink:
dannya2
Hipbase Groupie
Hipbase Groupie

Post by dannya2 »

No it is actually OLP, playing OLP tunes!
jen
Hipbase Staff
Hipbase Staff

Post by jen »

Either way, you're in deep, Mats... :lol: :lol: :lol:
mats
Experienced Groupie
Experienced Groupie

Oh well.

Post by mats »

I guess that's the price you pay for speaking your mind. Wait a minute! That's why I love this forum, you ARE aloud to speak your mind.

Thanks guys. :thumb:

Mats.

P.S. What if I ended up in HipHEAVEN?...hhhmmm...I've heard that in HipHEAVEN all you do is lounge around all day while Shania Twain rubs you. I'm not sure what kind of Hip tunes or experiences you get, but who cares, you're gettin' rubbed by Shania!

Well I'll see ya, I'm off to Chagrin Falls (no kidding), be back Monday.