2005-09-03 - Magnetic Hill - Moncton, NB

Been to a show and would like to give a review?

Moderator: Moderators

mrlayance
Tragically Rich
Tragically Rich

2005-09-03 - Magnetic Hill - Moncton, NB

Post by mrlayance »

Post Your Review
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
thehip11
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by thehip11 »

It's 11pm in Moncton right. The show should be wrapping up. I'm anxiously waiting to hear about the setlist and have a review. Who will be the first to tell us about it...
chancellor
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by chancellor »

alittle anxious there
direwolf74
The Last Recluse

Post by direwolf74 »

Wow, it's 3:30 am in Moncton. I'm surprised no one has posted the setlist yet.
clearlyentranced
Completist
Completist

Post by clearlyentranced »

direwolf74 wrote:Wow, it's 3:30 am in Moncton. I'm surprised no one has posted the setlist yet.
Must have been one hell of a show :lol:

I couldn't even find any info on any stones forums..
wpghipfan
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by wpghipfan »

Hey folks...

Got home three hours after the show. 85000 people, but it was well organized! The show started at 3 PM on the dot and it was over at 1050 PM.
The first word that comes to mind is "amazing"!! I'm not a Stones fan by any stretch, but holy smokes!! These guys are the masters! No dis on the Hip and our Gord, but Mick Jagger commands a stage like no other. There is a 'rock god' aura that surrounds him and Keef, and add on top of that four decades worth of confidence, and you have an impenetrable rock music force. The stage was the biggest in history (so I'm told), and the light show was second to none. Anyways, I'll get right to why most of you are reading: the Hip's set:

Grace, Too
My Music at Work
Fully Completey
Nautical Disaster (w/New Orleans is Beat)
Poets
No Threat
Courage
Wheat Kings
At the Hundredth Meridian
Summer's Killing Us
Blow at High Dough
Little Bones

The boys put on a hell of a show, indeed. Had it not been for the Stones, it would have been THEIR show. Gord started reciting the lyrics to INOIB during the opening bassline to Nautical, and it was incredibly touching. No Threat is going to be a hit. It HAS to be. What a tune. The boys visibly enjoyed themselves onstage yesterday. The big screens on stage showed constant smiles between band members. No fights between Gord and his microphone, but he was dancing quite a bit. Some interesting set notes:
no NOIS, which is no surprise. A few people classlessly shouted out for it, though, only to get boo'ed from their immediate surrounding areas; no ABAC, Springtime, or Bobcaygeon, which seem to be short-set staples; four songs (out of 12) from FC. I thought Wheat Kings was an odd choice for the day, but I loved to hear it. Gord forgot the words almost right off the hop. His "Here, kittykittykitty rant at the end of Little Bones was priceless.
We were standing about 20 people deep from the front of the stage, on Paul's side (because he kicks ass, of course), and the sound was fantastic. I could make out every word he was saying, despite the fact that my ears were still bleeding after enduring Marroon 5's set :lol:
The rest of the day was an event. Plain and simple. Mick and Keef and the boys know how to host a big show, and this was definitely the biggest I've attended. My head is fuzzy at the moment, up early with my daughter (4 hours sleep), so if I remember anything else, I'll chime in again.

OH! Here's something: merchandise. Of course there were about 60 different Stones clothing items, but there were 2 Hip shirts available. I bought a red t-shirt with a dark-red, small maple leaf on the front with "TTH" in the middle. On the back (this is hilarious) are the words "The Tragically Hip: Magnetic Hill, Moncton, New Brunswick, Sept. 3rd, 2005" Below that, there are cartoon caricatures of the five of them, in Superman type costumes, all muscled up and flying towards you! The resemblances are uncanny. I'll find a pic of it and post it here, if I can. The other shirt was black, with a green gircle on the front and a moose head with "The Tragically Hip Summer '05" on the front, and the Newfoundland and Moncton show dates on the back.

For you celebrity hunters, the local rock radio station reported spotting Johnny Depp, Brangelina, and the Olsen Twins at the show, along with Avril Lavigne.

Anyways, a mind-blowing day! Can't wait to see what MAv has in store for us!

Rory
Halifax
Stephen Dame
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by Stephen Dame »

wpghipfan wrote:Hey folks...

Got home three hours after the show. 85000 people, but it was well organized! The show started at 3 PM on the dot and it was over at 1050 PM.
The first word that comes to mind is "amazing"!! I'm not a Stones fan by any stretch, but holy smokes!! These guys are the masters! No dis on the Hip and our Gord, but Mick Jagger commands a stage like no other. There is a 'rock god' aura that surrounds him and Keef, and add on top of that four decades worth of confidence, and you have an impenetrable rock music force. The stage was the biggest in history (so I'm told), and the light show was second to none. Anyways, I'll get right to why most of you are reading: the Hip's set:

Grace, Too
My Music at Work
Fully Completey
Nautical Disaster (w/New Orleans is Beat)
Poets
No Threat
Courage
Wheat Kings
At the Hundredth Meridian
Summer's Killing Us
Blow at High Dough
Little Bones

The boys put on a hell of a show, indeed. Had it not been for the Stones, it would have been THEIR show. Gord started reciting the lyrics to INOIB during the opening bassline to Nautical, and it was incredibly touching. No Threat is going to be a hit. It HAS to be. What a tune. The boys visibly enjoyed themselves onstage yesterday. The big screens on stage showed constant smiles between band members. No fights between Gord and his microphone, but he was dancing quite a bit. Some interesting set notes:
no NOIS, which is no surprise. A few people classlessly shouted out for it, though, only to get boo'ed from their immediate surrounding areas; no ABAC, Springtime, or Bobcaygeon, which seem to be short-set staples; four songs (out of 12) from FC. I thought Wheat Kings was an odd choice for the day, but I loved to hear it. Gord forgot the words almost right off the hop. His "Here, kittykittykitty rant at the end of Little Bones was priceless.
We were standing about 20 people deep from the front of the stage, on Paul's side (because he kicks ass, of course), and the sound was fantastic. I could make out every word he was saying, despite the fact that my ears were still bleeding after enduring Marroon 5's set :lol:
The rest of the day was an event. Plain and simple. Mick and Keef and the boys know how to host a big show, and this was definitely the biggest I've attended. My head is fuzzy at the moment, up early with my daughter (4 hours sleep), so if I remember anything else, I'll chime in again.

OH! Here's something: merchandise. Of course there were about 60 different Stones clothing items, but there were 2 Hip shirts available. I bought a red t-shirt with a dark-red, small maple leaf on the front with "TTH" in the middle. On the back (this is hilarious) are the words "The Tragically Hip: Magnetic Hill, Moncton, New Brunswick, Sept. 3rd, 2005" Below that, there are cartoon caricatures of the five of them, in Superman type costumes, all muscled up and flying towards you! The resemblances are uncanny. I'll find a pic of it and post it here, if I can. The other shirt was black, with a green gircle on the front and a moose head with "The Tragically Hip Summer '05" on the front, and the Newfoundland and Moncton show dates on the back.

For you celebrity hunters, the local rock radio station reported spotting Johnny Depp, Brangelina, and the Olsen Twins at the show, along with Avril Lavigne.

Anyways, a mind-blowing day! Can't wait to see what MAv has in store for us!

Rory
Halifax
Wow, sounds like it lived up to the hype. That NewOBeat-Nautical medley is a must have, hopefully Mav or somebody captured it. And yeah... the Hip on that airport terminal The Stones call "a stage" must have been something else.
MAverick
Completist
Completist

Post by MAverick »

wpghipfan wrote: Rory
Halifax
Nice review Rory - I'll be posting some stuff later. Have to go through it all. Many stories . . . stay tuned.

Amazing show, that's about all I can say right now. WOW!

MAv.
Tarokun
Advanced Groupie
Advanced Groupie

Post by Tarokun »

Hey,
I got back at 4 in the morning, the parking lots were crazy! I agree with everything wpghipfan said. Some things that really made me think about the situation in New Orleans: definitely NOIB with the Nautical Disaster opening music in the background, ND itself, the "Bring out yer dead" line in Poets, and Courage. I'm still a bit discombobulated right now. Time for breakfast
Schooner
New Maybe
New Maybe

Post by Schooner »

Some pics of Gord from Moncton!

Image Image

Image Image

Edit: I can't take credit for these pics, I just scooped them off the web here: http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/ ... 1909040307

And here are a couple from later that evening!

Image Image
Last edited by Schooner on Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tigerthelion
Lighthouse Keeper
Lighthouse Keeper

Post by tigerthelion »

FANTASTIC!! HOLY SHIT!!!! WHAT A DAY!!!!!!!

Other than Gord forgetting "Pushing around the weather vane Jesus" in Wheat Kings, it was almost flawless. Gord's Meridian "die of vanity.....ry cooder to sing my eulogy" almost made me pass out it was that good. Gord sounded good and seemed to hit his notes in Summer even. I didn't get up close enough to really see the band members too well. I was pretty far back just taking the day in and the sound back where I was was flawless. Incredibly clear sound and the drums were ferocious.

Grace, Too -- from the first note, it was spine tingling, masterful
My Music at Work -- perfect as always with Gord his maniacal self
Fully Completey -- fucking fantastic
Nautical Disaster (w/New Orleans is Beat) -- seemed like the crowd was a bit lost during the "New Orleans is Beat" intro, Gord repeated "Where's that leave you and me" with great sincerity, Nautical was great
Poets -- what can I say, it was amazing, Baker was feeling it
No Threat -- ROCKING ROCKING ROCKING TUNE
Courage -- got the crowd revved up, great vocals by Gord
Wheat Kings -- Gord forget the last line of the first verse and seemed to be struggling to remember lyrics from there on out but by the end of the song it sounded good, really the only weak moment if I can call it that in the show
At the Hundredth Meridian -- incredible energy from the band, Gord was beyond "ON" during this one, it may have been the best version I've heard of the five times I've seen them
Summer's Killing Us -- sounded great and Gord sang it wonderfully, Bobby's guitar work at the end was terrific
Blow at High Dough -- well, ya know it was brilliant and certainly the crowd seemed into it
Little Bones - great way to end things and it rocked like always

On a side note, Gord Sinclair looked like a bobblehead doll up on stage. The whole band were into it from the get go and didn't need any warmup time. Gord mentioned New Orleans a few times and I think dedicated Grace, Too to the "people down south".

On to the Stones. Firstly, the stage for the event was almost unbelievable. It was HUGE. The lighting for the Stones was great along with the fireworks. I'm telling you, the anticipation from 80000 people was mind numbing. When Keef kicked the show off with the start of "Start me Up", it was almost surreal. I was there at this histroric event and Mick had the crowd in the palm of his hands. I thought Ron Wood was particularly fantastic. Mick was Mick. The whole band sounded great. It was AN EXPERIENCE FOR THE AGES. The Stones capped off one hell of a concert.

Did anyone else laugh when Mick thanked all the openers and called the french band "Les Trois Regards"? I found that funny. Mick seemed to really emphasize "Tragically Hip" when he thanked them and that got the loudest response from the crowd of all the bands he thanked.

Our Lady Peace actually sounded pretty good I thought. Raine seems to continually battle with his vocal delivery though. He's up and down and seems to change his key during a song. He sounded better than I thought he would overall but during "Innocent" it seemed like Raine didn't know what key he was in or how he should be singing. Some words he was high and then low and he was all over the place.

I walked in a few minutes before Les Trois Accords finished up. They were playing a pretty cool guitar solo when I arrived but nobody was really interested in them I don't think.

Maroon 5 were, well Maroon 5. Their show was louder and rockier than I expected but I still have no idea why they were there.

Anyway, Gord owned the stage and immediately made the Hip the best act of the day until the Stones and their humongous production went on and proceeded to light the place up. Whether you like the Stones or not, they are a presence. They sounded great. Mick got the crowd to sing along with "You can't always get what you want...". I would have loved to have been up front but when you're there with someone it's pretty easy to get lost in the crowd. I had a strange time trying to get out when the concert ended. It was dark and there were a hell of a lot of people and the field wasn't exactly smooth or easy to walk through without stepping in two foot holes. We made it out somehow.

Oh yeah, "WOULD SOMEBODY CLOSE THAT SCREEN DOOR"!!!!!
Summiteer
Wheat King
Wheat King

Post by Summiteer »

What was the setlist for the Stones?
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
kleh
DareDevil
DareDevil

Post by kleh »

we arrived around 430pm i couldnt believe how large the side was!!!

we very easily made it down for close to the stage (left stage) as the maroon 5 set ended we realized we should visit the porta-poties before the real music started. We were told mick jagger drove by in a limo filming us in line!!! (right next to fence) i didnt see him though.

Grace too started as we were still in line, regardless we still had a fine view of the sidestage, we got back to our spot just about the time fully completly was peaking, man they were on fire.

very pleased and surprised to hear wheat kings, the intro to nautical disaster was just fan-fuckin-tastic, gord sinclair was in fine form bouncing all over the place, great great set i thought.

stones setlist (in no order still waiting for update here http://www.iorr.org/tour05/)

start me up
it's only rock n' roll
you cant always get what you want
paint it black
jumpin jack flash
RUBY TUESDAY
MIDNIGHT RAMBLER
sympathy for the devil
tumblin dice
all down the line
miss you
infimy
oh no not you again
nighttime is the rightime (ray charles)
brown sugar
honky tonk women

i'd probably forgettin a few, all in all a great time, i ended up hitting a party w/ a buncha 'islanders' around we musta been 20 ppl strong at least marching to the shuttle buses (which were totally fucked afterwards, my ride didnt show up to the house in riverview until after 3am!)
clearlyentranced
Completist
Completist

Post by clearlyentranced »

Great pics Schooner! Does anyone else have any?
wpghipfan
Sherpa
Sherpa

Post by wpghipfan »

I have some 35 MM shots that need to get developed. I didn't bring my digital because I thought it would get confiscated. Turns out, they didn't check bags. I could have brought my DV camera, dammit.

Rory